Unique Ways To Obtain Records

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I've heard the "Found Them In A Dumpster" stories and the "Moved Into A New Apartment/House And The Closet Was Filled" stories.......But let's hear some really unique/weird ways you've obtained or heard of people scoring records.Here's one of my faves.....About 15 years ago I was digging in Phoenix.....hitting the stores, Flea Markets(scored big at the Dog Track Flea Market)and Thrifts......at one Flea Market this dude tells us about a high end Stereo Store that he said had recently been filled with vinyl.We find the store and sure as shit the place has piles of vinyl spread out awkwardly around the store. My partner and I start digging through and finding some nice things within the first 50 or so we flipped through....Then this guy who works there comes over and asks us what the hell we're doing?? Ummmmmm......."Looking through the records?!?".......Then he informs us the records are NOT FOR SALE and goes on to explain that the store is running a Charity Drive for a local Nursing Home and their customers are donating their records for the cause. And if you bring in your vinyl you get a discount on a CD System!!!Kinda made sense so I asked him...."Well when are you going to sell them for the Charity Drive"??.....and he hits us with this....."Oh we're not gonna ever sell them, a Doctor at the Nursing Home believes that playing old, familar music for Alzheimer's patients helps them"....Well that almost made sense too.....except I couldn't imagine playing the Skip Spence LP we had already pulled for any Nursing Home patient.We left very frustrated and started scheming about how to get the LP"s...The next stop was a store and we told the owner about what we had just been through.....he laughed and informed us that the guy who owned the Stereo Store was a big collector and HE was scoring all the good stuff.....and apparently the story about the Alzheimer's patients was actually true!!

Comments

• Chris Veltri needs to get in here and talk about the collection he went and looked at recently.
    50,000 or so records collected by an autistic dude.
    The details boggle.

• Chris Veltri needs to get in here and talk about the collection he went and looked at recently.
    The details boggle.

Definitely.

A man told me that his process of getting records "starts at the local bar" and that after a gang of drinks and maybe a game of pool someone will say, "yeah, I got some records."

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    If anyone can beat the dude who found two copies of Stark Reality on an ostrich farm in Finland, I'm throwing in the towel. Could that story possibly have been real? Sounds like pure digger fiction to me.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    If anyone can beat the dude[/b] who found two copies of Stark Reality on an ostrich[/b] farm in Finland, I'm throwing in the towel[/b]. Could that story possibly have been real? Sounds like erotic[/b] digger fiction to me.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    Chris Veltri needs to get in here and talk about the collection he went and looked at recently.
    The details boggle.

heard about that. crazy.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Not that I got anything that raer out of it, but I did acquire afew collections from kids who attended the youth centre I worked at. That was kinda funny...

"so yeah, if you're parents don't want them anymore, just bring 'em up to the centre."

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Chris Veltri needs to get in here and talk about the collection he went and looked at recently.
    The details boggle.

heard about that. crazy.

details
    plaese

• ditto that

Strangest for me was meeting a guy in a salvo caryying a 3" thick bound matrix printout of all the records he had...recorded...on cassette...wasn't interested in keeping the vinyl...just taping "every record ever made"...and with that his proposal to let him borrow my records he needed (to tape) and for every record he taped I was free to select one to keep from his garage that was stuffed FULL of...taped records...inside the house a closet equally stuffed with his cassette collection in long boxes of 150 each...no cases - they took up too much room - just a ID#...he was up top 16,000 by then I think.

Worked great for maybe 2 years till he decided to start keeping an lp by very artist that ever had a song on the billboard top 100...which morphed into one Lp by every artist...and then the end...record show buying and then ebay came along and he started selling...great guy...wrong format

• Strangest for me was meeting a guy in a salvo caryying a 3" thick bound matrix printout of all the records he had...recorded...on cassette...wasn't interested in keeping the vinyl...just taping "every record ever made"...

Let me be the first to say.......

• ha! very friggin' close though....right city/wrong guy

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Strangest for me was meeting a guy in a salvo caryying a 3" thick bound matrix printout of all the records he had...recorded...on cassette...wasn't interested in keeping the vinyl...just taping "every record ever made"...

Let me be the first to say.......

and i will raise you

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    can someone tell the ostrich farm and autism story?

i need to go "wow"