Do you buy re-issues on vinyl?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Just wondering. I used to but have been leaning more towards buying them on CD recently. Still, it seems the going rate is about $9 on a lot of re-issue (at least at TTL) which is still a pretty good deal. Still less than the CD's in many cases.

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Just wondering. I used to but have been leaning more towards buying them on CD recently. Still, it seems the going rate is about $9 on a lot of re-issue (at least at TTL) which is still a pretty good deal. Still less than the CD's in many cases.

If by re-issues, you mean shady bootlegs, it's been my experience that the CD "reissues" tend to sound better than their LP "reissue" counterparts. For example, the Revelation 1982 Handshake LP "reissue" sounds horrible when compared to the CD.

I believe this is mainly due to poor vinyl mastering on the boots.

SG

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I almost never buy reissues at all, but when I do it's almost never on vinyl...BUT I'm currently in the process of selling about 75% of my CDs...so who knows what I'll do in the future.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I will spend good money for a quality reissue on vinyl. The $8.99 ones are junk.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    This reminds me.......yesterday it was reported that the Vaitcan has come to the conclusion that Hitler and Mussolini were possessed by Satan and could have been "cured" by an Exorcism!!!!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i used to, but recently sold most of my reissues. the $8-9 reishes are pieces of shit, but like crink said i throw down for quality releases.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    Yes!...I'm just about to buy Bobby Reed "The Time Is Right for Love"... I could get the OG if I wanted. Pay cash like anyone else could do or just trade. But I love the track and I want to be able to play it MANY times and I just wouldn't feel good playing a 300-400 dollar record down to the bone. And it would be pretty stupid since I'm not a rich guy.

Wether I buy, trade or find it for pennies it's still a lot of money that I'm missing out on and I'm not nerdy enough to do so. I want to enjoy my money in other ways than having an OG pressing. But I am nerdy to some point, i'll keep 100 dollar records instead of getting reissues. I just draw my limits.

With the kind of money that I earn and live off it would be kinda crazy for me to have a box of $500 records. I want to enjoy my money in other ways and I don't want to miss out on the music, so I'll keep getting reissues and cd's.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I will buy a legit reissue from time-to-time, especially if it's something I've wanted for a while but don't wanna pay the OG price. Or it's some ridiculously rare piece I know I'll never find.

Another incentive buying legit reissues is if the packaging is done dope or these some bonus tracks...

peace.

• I dunno, the $10 copy of the Gandalf "reissue" sounds good enough so that I can save the $150+ difference.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts

Recently bought the FELA KUTI box set. Though I did have these in digital format. I get to play alot of the cuts out now and I no longer have Microwave. Played them out a few days ago and it did sound top notch. Then again I purchased a reissue of oneness of juju and wasnt satisfied with the quality on a good system. Hit or miss I guess.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    This reminds me.......yesterday it was reported that the Vaitcan has come to the conclusion that Hitler and Mussolini were possessed by Satan and could have been "cured" by an Exorcism!!!!

Please do not get me started on Vatican complicity during WWII.

BTW my little jpeg was supposed to represent my response to the original question ie "does the pope where a funny hat?"