~~~ RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE THREAD~!!!!!~~~

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
These guys rock. I mean not in an actual rock way, because I've never heard any of their albums except 1. That was the "Battle For Los Angeles" album. I got that in 1999 when I used to work in Las Vegas. I used to fly from Philly to Vegas every weekend to DJ and so I would be out there just bored out of my mind, so pretty much all I would do was sit by the pool, mess with girls, and spend tons of money shopping for all sorts of shit. My CD game got pretty thick during this period. This was when I bought some clunkers like the Prince "Rave Until The Joy Fantastic" piece of doo doo (and I Love and am way forgiving of Prince.) So I used to go to Caesars Palace mal and go cop Gucci and Nike, and then one day I was with my dude Tobias who was from LA and was my only real friend out there and he was like "Yo dude cop the Rage CD." So I did and we would listen to that shit while driving in the convertible around Vegas. You know, I'll fuck with some rock shit and I'll fuck with some political shit. Zach de La Rocha reminded me of all the dudes from Santa Barbara that my girl went to college with, who were all "political" and had surcommandante Marcos as their idol and inspiration, you know the dude who would cop Nikes and then put strips of black tape over the swoosh. I'm not mad at dudes really trying to "feel their way" and all, and we all have to be young. California has tons of this type. Yes sir. I just find it funny, and I'm not mad. I'm not mad at de La Rocha either. He's not really a rapper. Why did they put him on that record with KRS One? Oh yeah that's a marriage made in heaven. "CIA," huh? Cool. So yeah, Rage. You know, that later record is all I know of them. From a production value standpoint ir's stellar. Other than that it's cool. Tom Morello sure can get some crazy sounds out of a guitar, and he kind of kills that though.

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    This post is so
    and and more to the point, just straight !

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'm probably going to get clowned for saying this but, as rock-rap fusions go, their version of "Pistol Grip Pump" is kinda nice.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

Tom Morello sure can get some crazy sounds out of a guitar

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Morello's short guitar strap always freaked me out. What's up with having your guitar on your chin?

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Morello's short guitar strap always freaked me out. What's up with having your guitar on your chin?

lol.

Remember the "scratching" on "Bulls on Parade"?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm probably going to get clowned for saying this but, as rock-rap fusions go, their version of "Pistol Grip Pump" is kinda nice.

So you do like Project Blowed.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Tom Morello sure can get some crazy sounds out of a guitar, and he kind of kills that though.

And it's a shame he's now wasting it on that pap softer than a mr. softee cone in the summer drek called Audioslave.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    summer drek called Audioslave.

they have some good songs.
    esp on the first album.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

So you do like Project Blowed.

I don't think I ever said I didn't. No disrespect intended, but I pride myself on going to great lengths not to get involved in perennial SS beefs such as the Blowed one. Suffice it to say that I like some of their stuff, but I wouldn't necessarily ride for them to the extent that others might.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Tom Morello sure can get some crazy sounds out of a guitar, and he kind of kills that though.

And it's a shame he's now wasting it on that pap softer than a mr. softee cone in the summer drek called Audioslave.

Audioslave just sucks. Nothing more to say about it.

I always regret missing the Wu-Tang/Rage Against the Machine tour. Say what you want about it, but that was an interesting pairing.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    they have some good songs.
    esp on the first album.

Exactly - the first album. I'm just tired of lame ass pussy fake emotive quasi heavy ballads that comprise the bulk of the second album. And that's why I'm listening to old shit outside of Coheed & Cambria & System Of A Down.

and while we're on the subject of things metallic, will I be the sole strutter at any of the US Iron Maiden dates this October????

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    What a great thread opener.

I once fucked a girl that fucked that zach dude, she was hot. didnt he have a breakdown or somesuch? damn that chick was hot. almost lost her job over it, fucking him that is, she worked for a record company. she was a hot record company chick.

ratm huh?

• Ohhhh shit! RATM kills it!

Their first album is the sick shit - the one with the buddhist monk on fire on the cover. I saw them in Dec '92 just before their they dropped their first album. It was at the student union at UCLA (the COOP for all my Bruins out there) and it was off the chain. they had huge buzz, and the place was packed. They had to shut the show down early becuase there were too many people and they were getting tossed around the moshpit like ping pong balls. Tom Morello blew my mind watching him 'scratch' his guitar. It was also the first time I got really high on chronic weed so I was just on another level.

they are really dedicated to the vinyl game too as all their albums came out on wax (even that last tepid one with all the covers on it) and a couple of them they included a collectible slipmat as well:

I don't know if ZDR had a nervous breakdown, but he was going to Mexico and South America and fighting with guerillas and the Sandinistas from what I heard.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I've seen Rage twice. Once in the later years with the Wu and Atari Teenage Riot and the first time at Cobo Hall in Detroit...

I had been a big fan of their shit and really wanted to see them live, I mean REALLY. I was sitting in ceramics class listening to 89X (steady rocked headphones around my neck in early HS), when Tom Morello came on to do an interview. Not only did they discuss his bad-ass guitar style, but they also touched on his Harvard education and political activism. I couldn't take not going to this show. I told my boy that we HAD to get tickets for that night. We were fortunate enough to get in touch with some scalpers and headed for the venue...

We had seats about 12 rows up in the middle of the seating bowl. The entire floor in front of us was crawling with rowdy fans during the opening bands. Then, before Rage took the stage, hordes of people on the floor began waving their hands, beckoning folks in the seats to bum rush the barrier and jump down to the floor (where that real action was). Before I could even think about what I wanted to do, my boy (and only ride home) peaced into the isle way cue for hopping down to the floor. Next thing I know, a GANG of security guards in yellow shirts rushed from the concession area spaying anyone causing trouble with mace, straight up. I pulled myself together stumbling on the way down the stairs, building enough momentum to tumble awkwardly over the short wall and landed on my ass in my freshly purchased FREE MUMIA shirt. I was luck enough to avoid being spotted by the mace-wielding guards and proceeded to witness one of the livest shows I have EVER been to..!

NOBODY WAS FUCKING WITH RATM.

• will I be the sole strutter at any of the US Iron Maiden dates this October????

I don't know if I'm trying to see them on tour in 2006 but Iron Maiden rule pretty fucking hard.

You can make a good 75 minute cd of the worthwhile Rage songs. I always did like that one that said "So now I'm rollin' down Rodeo with a shotgun/these people ain't seen a brown-skinned man since their grandparents bought one" and then the guitarist starts going EEEEEEEEEE-EEEE-EEEWWW-KKKKEEEE-EEEEEE on his guitar.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Zach de La Rocha reminded me of all the dudes from Santa Barbara that my girl went to college with, who were all "political" and had surcommandante Marcos as their idol and inspiration, you know the dude who would cop Nikes and then put strips of black tape over the swoosh.

"I'm rockin' the suburbs
    Just like Quiet Riot did
    I'm rockin' the suburbs
    Except they were talented
    I'm rockin' the suburbs
    I take the checks and face the facts
    That some producer with computers fixes all my shitty tracks"

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    That dude is from fucking Irvine, California. He apparently went to the same high school for delinquints as me (before I was there). What a rebel.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    RATM are lame to me, get the Inside Out 7" instead.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Inside Out

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I like Rage. One of a very small number of groups that
    really paved their own way, and let everyone else follow
    in their footsteps. I liked how all the sounds were made
    with guitar and not studio trickery, and how balls-out they
    were. They chose good covers to do, too. "Renegades of Funk"
    "Ghost of Tom Joad" "Pistol Grip Pump" etc ...

Inside Out were good, but come on, they have like 3 songs.

"No Spiritual Surrender" was my shit, tho, before RATM ever existed.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    man, the rock/rap fusion SHOULD NOT EXIST EXCEPT FOR RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE. their second album EVIL EMPIRE is the definition of rock/punk/hip hop done right, they were my first rock concert.

Tom Morello should be acclaimed along the same lines of guitar/musical greats, if all you did was compile all his solos into one track, you'd be like

I actually think zach was a decent rapper, check mic check. joining their fan club was cool, they gave 7" vinyl singles of "bombtrack" with a cover of nwa's fuck the police as a bside, and also had singles for the godzilla soundtrack's "american eyes" (perhaps my favorite tune by them) and also ghost of tom joad (springstein's tune). i'm sure they must have felt like sheit when they saw the kinds of fans they drew, but that's how it is. one of the most innovative bands ever...and i actually hate the first album. it sounds like rapping to black sabbath riffs. the second album is off the fucking ricter scale. down rodeo sounds like shit by the bombsquad.

• Inside Out were good, but come on, they have like 3 songs.

Wait, he wasn't talking about the Grand Funk song? That's "Inside Looking Out" though now that I think on it........