A skunk sprayed my cat in the eye last night.....

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Poor little kitty. She's a bitch a probably did something to deserve, but still... now she stinks. we made her sleep outside last night. we tried to clean it off. At least this morning both of her eyes are open again.Anyways... skunks.... I hate those fuckers. I need to get rid of them. I'm not allowed to use a shotgun because I live in the city. What do I do????

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Poison.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Tomato juice does not work.

To neutralize or deodorize skunk spray, the chemicals in the secretion must be changed to a different type of molecule. Tomato juice does not work (see below for an explanation).

For pets that have been sprayed, bathe the animal in a mixture of 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide (from drug store), 1/4 cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and a teaspoon of liquid detergent. After 5 minutes rinse the animal with water. Repeat if necessary. The mixture must be used after mixing and will not work if it is stored for any length of time. DO NOT STORE IN A CLOSED CONTAINER - it releases oxygen gas so it could break the container. This mixture may bleach the pet's hair. I have heard of one black Labrador retriever that was chocolate colored after this treatment. (Paul Krebaum's Recipe from Chemical & E ngineering News , October 18, 1993, p. 90).

Some additional tips. Do this outside so the volatile skunk spray does not contaminate your house. To remove residual skunk odor from your clothes and any towels or rags used in this clean up procedure, wash them with one cup of liquid laundry bleach per gallon of water.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    poison is probably a bad idea if you have pets.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Poor little kitty. She's a bitch a probably did something to deserve, but still... now she stinks. we made her sleep outside last night. we tried to clean it off. At least this morning both of her eyes are open again.

Anyways... skunks.... I hate those fuckers. I need to get rid of them. I'm not allowed to use a shotgun because I live in the city. What do I do????

My parents live on Martha's Vineyard and there is a huge skunk problem there because they have no natural predators. However my parents cat smartly made friends with the stinky fuckers and I used to see them running around the yard and playing with each other. Try tomato juice on your cat it helps, but really it just takes time and lots of washing. A friend of my parents dog brought a skunk in the house and shook it all over the laundry room where all of the clean sheets and other assorted laundry was hanging. or smell for that matter. They had to throw everything away. Don't even get me started about the island skunk catcher dude.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Just keep your pets indoors.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I used to see them running around the yard and playing with each other.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

well then the skunks wouldn't be a problem would they?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I was thinking more along the lines of going deep in the bush (my backyard), digging a foxhole, setting up a perimeter of claymores, mount an m-60, and amushing the fuckers.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

well then the skunks wouldn't be a problem would they?

Keep them inside while poisoning the skunks, then let them out after.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I was thinking more along the lines of going deep in the bush (my backyard), digging a foxhole, setting up a perimeter of claymores, mount an m-60, and amushing the fuckers.

• jfreejfree 18 Posts

Caddyshack/Gopher style?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Protect your cat, yo.

Can you imagine trying persuade a feline to get into this thing?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    cool!!!!!!!!

then hopefully while on vacation you and the wife get abducted by the north koreans
    then who will bleach skunky pussy?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    mythbusters did an episode on skunk smell.

Results of the various cleansers:

* Tomato juice: smelled like a "bloody mary," but no skunk. plausible
    * Beer (MGD): used to cleanup bathroom where skunk sprayed. "Smells like the men's room at a dive bar." busted
    * Douche: Adam took a swig to verify that it's composed vinegar and water. "Not so fresh." busted
    * Hydrogen peroxide + baking soda + liquid dish soap: it worked. Apparently the mixture releases oxygen compounds that bond with thiols and neutralize their smell. confirmed
    * Commercial skunk remover: worked, but not as well as the hydrogen peroxide mixture. ok

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Perhaps humane traps? It's a tough one, but I wouldn't recommend poison. My dad tried that when he had squirrels eating stuff in his garden--long story short he nearly killed one of our dogs.