What's the best way to wash a black t-shirt?

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I don't want my $35 'Ghostface rockin' the falcon gauntlet' t-shirt to fade. The instructions say 'machine wash cold' and I know about the whole turn-inside-out thing but that never really works. I tried to have it drycleaned but they won't do it 'cause it might jack up the screenprint.What's worked for you guys? Well besides [reynaldo]just wear it once and buy another[/reynaldo].Herm

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    "WOOLITE" FOR DARK LAUNDARY --its for delicates, no fading, and easy on the material, wash inside out, on gentle cycle, line dry.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    You can usually re-dye t-shirts fairly sucessfully & easily. I have never had a problem with it affecting the screen printed portion, allthough i think that it may depend on what type of ink is used.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    You soak it and hand scrub. Then you line dry it and iron it. Only way to save it.

• "WOOLITE" FOR DARK LAUNDARY --its for delicates, no fading, and easy on the material, wash inside out, on gentle cycle, line dry.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Thanks everybody!

(You reading this, Brian?)

Herm

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Herm, you put it inside something else like a pillowcase then do all the cool wash / inside out shenanigans.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    chlorine... lots of chlorine

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    the first time you wash it - hand wash it in cold water and salt (like a half cup of salt). Then after that just wash it in cold water with darks from then on.

• the first time you wash it - hand wash it in cold water and salt (like a half cup of salt). Then after that just wash it in cold water with darks from then on.

Yup. Grandma-esque knowledge being dropped here. The salt fixates the color and in that way prevents fading from the washing machine. Adding a little bit of clear vinegar helps as well.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    the first time you wash it - hand wash it in cold water and salt (like a half cup of salt). Then after that just wash it in cold water with darks from then on.

Yup. Grandma-esque knowledge being dropped here. The salt fixates the color and in that way prevents fading from the washing machine. Adding a little bit of clear vinegar helps as well.

wow. Shit i need to step my laundry game up. I only wear my white T Once!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    You soak it and hand scrub. Then you line dry it and iron it. Only way to save it.

Except I woulnd't even scrub it--I assume that you weren't playing the sweat game in it. I get my detergent at Whole Foods, you know that shit is gentle. I've never heard of that salty stuff, but I would try it and then hand wash it. Clothes fade because of hot water, but they get all raggedy because they get tossed against of stuff. And the dryer is the ultimate killer of fine wares. I haven't been able to wear mad clothes since I moved to Manhattan because I don't have proper facilities to wash/dry them in. Holler at the homies in Jersey!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i see you herm!
    ima try the woolite shit cos salt seems too hardcore for me

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    i see you herm!

ima try the woolite shit cos salt seems too hardcore for me

Mr. Me Too.