Anyone from Boulder CO on this board?

bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Just curious, because I'm rolling out there this weekend to spin at a party or two, to hang out, and hike and what not. Anything good worth catching or doing?holluer.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Man, I was just up there in March to spin a party. I actually spent a whole summer there in 95. Worst city in America. People are TOO NICE!!! The town is TOO CLEAN!!! I got beef because the flyer I designed had a woman (gloria velez) in a bikini on it. WTF?! Grow the fuck up, Boulder!!!

No minorities at all. Everyone's a hippie. It makes Austin, texas look like Thugworld.

There's a decent record store on the Pearl Street Mall, Dj Vajra works there.

Anything worth seeing? Ummm... nothing besides mountains.

I hate that town.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Man, I was just up there in March to spin a party. I actually spent a whole summer there in 95. Worst city in America. People are TOO NICE!!! The town is TOO CLEAN!!! I got beef because the flyer I designed had a woman (gloria velez) in a bikini on it. WTF?! Grow the fuck up, Boulder!!!

I always wonder about stuff like that, coming up in PC Minneapolis, someone always has an issue with scantily clad women. I guess it just depends on the demographic. hell, where I live now there are hippies who would be quick to condemn anything sexy on a flyer or ad, so I shouldn't be quick to judge other locales. I personally like sexy flyers.

I always wonder about stuff like that, coming up in PC Minneapolis, someone always has an issue with scantily clad women. I guess it just depends on the demographic. hell, where I live now there are hippies who would be quick to condemn anything sexy on a flyer or ad, so I shouldn't be quick to judge other locales. I personally like sexy flyers.

Zactly... It wasn't like a normal critique along the lines of "This is disrectful to women", more like "So this is a sex party? I'm definitely uninterested in something like that."

I didn't fucking get it.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

No minorities at all. Everyone's a hippie. It makes Austin, texas look like Thugworld.

I hate that town.

Yes... Boulder is trustafarian headquarters, but it is a beautiful place. I've lived out there with my sister for a few summers in college and came up like a mug record- wise at Bart's (just north of Pearl Street.) Some Boulder must sees: Mork and Mindy house, Liquor Mart, Pearl Street Mall, Flatirons (the hiking !), and if you want sick authentic Mexican food Effrains in Lafayette.

I hate that town.

Yes... Boulder is trustafarian headquarters, but it is a beautiful place. I've lived out there with my sister for a few summers in college and came up like a mug record- wise at Bart's (just north of Pearl Street.) Some Boulder must sees: Mork and Mindy house, Liquor Mart, Pearl Street Mall, Flatirons (the hiking !), and if you want sick authentic Mexican food Effrains in Lafayette.

Yeah, Bart's... That's the one. It's on the same street as the pearl street mall right? has an upstairs vinyl section, if we're talking about the same place.

I hate that town.

Yeah, Bart's... That's the one. It's on the same street as the pearl street mall right? has an upstairs vinyl section, if we're talking about the same place.

Yes... and it was extremely wack when I went there in January. I did walk out of there with a Power of Zeus last year, though. It's worth hitting up -- maybe you'll get lucky.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    well, time to bust out the tied eye shirt then.

we'll see, i'm hoping for the best on this one, and think it will be a dope time. I'll check out those spots you all mentioned. thanks fellars.

props to chris for hooking me up with this jonks.

• Yes... and it was extremely wack when I went there in January. I did walk out of there with a Power of Zeus last year, though. It's worth hitting up -- maybe you'll get lucky.

Thats the mojo right there. I've found lots of things there over the last 10 years, such as Headless Heros, but the myths about Colo being full of wax are just not true. Persistence is the name of the game out here like everywhere else. Boulder is a strange place for sure, but if you need an endless supply of attractive CU students that are not hippie chicks, stop into Urban Outfitters also on Pearl Street, and if you have money and time for a nice dinner out, hit up Mataam Fez. That place is amazing. If you have time to rent movies, hit up Video Station, they have an great Blaxploitation selection. Take time to go into the Flatirons. So beautiful, and the weather should be excellent up there. I usually hit up the wax spots and then flee back to Denver as soon as I can though. Good luck!

Yes... and it was extremely wack when I went there in January. I did walk out of there with a Power of Zeus last year, though. It's worth hitting up -- maybe you'll get lucky.

Thats the mojo right there. I've found lots of things there over the last 10 years, such as Headless Heros, but the myths about Colo being full of wax are just not true.

I've been told some stories concerning Black & Read and Wax Trax back in the day and they all involve many great records being bought at very reasonable prices.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    WaxTrax isnt so hot. Never really was. It is kind of notorious around Denver for being the to-cool-for-school spot. Wanna get an unapproving glance for your purchases? Hit WaxTrax. The other spot you mentioned is que bueno. As for Boulder, I agree whole heartedly with the Other Ross. Get in and get out as quick as you can. Trustafarians as far as the eye can see. And no, Denver doesnt have any records anymore. So if your thinking about making a trip, I wouldnt bother. Its all Andy Williams and Babs in the bins.

• WaxTrax isnt so hot. Never really was. It is kind of notorious around Denver for being the to-cool-for-school spot. Wanna get an unapproving glance for your purchases? Hit WaxTrax.

Yo, I gotta step in on this one, and rep the WaxTreezy. Denver is ground zero for hipsters, and while they tend to not make music themselves, they do love to work at record stores and look down on everyone like: "I was into them 5 years ago." Some of the cats that work at Wax trax are Super Hipsters, but the 2 main employees at the vinyl store Dave and James are the coolest. If you are ever in Denver, go say whats up. They will take good care of you. And you never know...$4 Honky Tonk Popcorn LP, $4 Rass LP, and $10 Look-a-py-py keep me going back for more.

If you want the disapproving glances from hipsters, I suggest going to any bar that caters to 20-somethings in Denver...