HOUSTON APPRECIATION THREAD

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Man, I lived out there for about half a year.Wasn't interested in raers back then. Just hip-hop records.But I used to eat Chicken Fried Steak at this place in TOMBALL. It was famous, do any houston-ites know that place.I got so fat when I lived out there. All I would do is eat and get drunk off shots of 151.I lived out on the corner of FM1960 and I-45.It was fun. But kinda boring.I like Sonic Hamburgers. And Astroworld was dope... and the Galleria had a skating rink in there... fuck, it's all a BLUR to me... I remember seeing KOOL KEITH at THE WAXX and he was trippin' out....HOUSTON - APPRECIATE ITb

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I lived in Houston from '86 - '89, as well as every summer from '89 - '91. I graduated high school from there.

What I remember the most is all the shrimp, flounder, redfish, and trout you could pull from Galveston Bay on a daily basis. That's not to slight the mullet, hardhead, croaker, skipjack, and drum...but that's that shit we'd throw back. And yes, the best fishing often required wading into the flats with a funny hat on that held your tackle for you. There was this one little dude that we'd always see out at Seascape who had a pet goose that would follow him as he fished. We called him "the kid". He would actually keep track of every fish he'd catch during the course of a season, as in "that's the 117th flounder that will go in my freezer this summer".

Hunting is also a big deal in Houston. If you ain't taken at least one deer in your life, you might as well move to Montrose with an "insert here" sign posted on your back. Doves are delicious, quail even moreso. And you ain't lived until you've eaten a fried jack rabbit heart.

Magic mushrooms can be found in abundance in the cow pastures that, at least when I lived there, surround just about every neighborhood in Houston. If you think that eatng magic mushrooms is beneath you, then please never speak of Houston again.

Oh yeah, back to fishing...this time fresh water fishing. 10 foot alligator garr could quite easily be pulled from the ditch that was only a couple of hundred of yards away from my house. And some of the best bass fishing anywhere could be had by jumping the fence into Ellington Field AFB.

Galveston offers at select times ample surfing opportunities, on top of being an all-around badass place to visit. It even has its own Mardi Gras.

Houston, along with Dallas, was one of the first places to sport ecstacy pills as part of its club scene. I was too young for the jars of it sitting on bartops for all to grab...for free, but I sure didn't mind paying my 15 bucks for a chance to turn the typical It Takes 2/Paid in Full/Raw/U Gots to Chill/Gangsta Gangsta session into an other world experience. I've never met anyone not from Houston with any attachment to a song called Twilight Zone by Moses P, but if you talk to any Houstonian clubgoer from that era...

And ever since the Geto Boys blew doors wide open, the Houston rap scene is not to be fucked with.

I still miss Houston Oilers' games, the drive from Kirby to downtown on Allen Parkway, authentic Cajun food, attending astronaut parties, Pasa-get-down-dena in general, the cats at Infinite Records, my '77 Buick Regal, rolling with such a big posse that cops would often give up trying to remove us from neighborhood parks, trenching a string of yards in succession, and my old dog Buffy.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Magic mushrooms can be found in abundance in the cow pastures that, at least when I lived there, surround just about every neighborhood in Houston. If you think that eatng magic mushrooms is beneath you, then please never speak of Houston again.

Not even close.

One hint I could supply for your pathetic projectionism is that the movie Rush was filmed in the city of Seabrook.

In other words, imagine dudes with mushrooms and shotguns rather than mushrooms and hacky-sacks.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    how much of a carpetbaggeur would one be if they expressed appreciation for houston without ever going there?

Not even close.

One hint I could supply for your pathetic projectionism is that the movie Rush was filmed in the city of Seabrook.

In other words, imagine dudes with mushrooms and shotguns rather than mushrooms and hacky-sacks.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

• If you ain't taken at least one deer in your life, you might as well move to Montrose with an "insert here" sign posted on your back.

C'mon mang.... You wrote some good stuff 'dere, why you wanna mess it up like that?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    you ain't lived until you fried your brain

• 10 foot alligator garr could quite easily be pulled from the ditch that was only a couple of hundred of yards away from my house.

DISCONNECTED.

We had a ditch in our front yard, probably 15 feet from the porch. Often, after a good rain, we walk out and there'd be foot-long BLACK EELS in our yard. Freaky.

And the guy who lived three doors down called me into his backyard one day when I was about 12. He had a 6-foot alligator--not an alligator gar, but a real alligator--in a makeshift chickenwire fence; the gator's mouth was duct-taped shut.

When asked where he got it, he replied:

"We was in the bass boat fishin' last night and I seen him in the water. I just jumped on him and held on!"

Next level, yes, but a level I don't ever wanna be on.

But speaking of 10-foot gar:

how much of a carpetbaggeur would one be if they expressed appreciation for houston without ever going there?

One need not physically set foot in the city--one can also travel there via magic mushrooms.

Not even close.

Then go back to the Justin Timberlake thread and post about what you do know.

• Not even close.

Then go back to the Justin Timberlake thread and post about what you do know.

oh shit! damn that was a kinda good.

Harvey: 1

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

What is this? It looks like a mermaid from hell.

If you ain't taken at least one deer in your life, you might as well move to Montrose with an "insert here" sign posted on your back.

C'mon mang.... You wrote some good stuff 'dere, why you wanna mess it up like that?

Because I'm secure enough in not being a homophobe that I don't limit myself to never joking about gay shit.

• If you ain't taken at least one deer in your life, you might as well move to Montrose with an "insert here" sign posted on your back.

Because I'm secure enough in not being a homophobe that I don't limit myself to never joking about gay shit.

Weird... I read that as, you know, taking a deer.

That bone to pick is more on the minor side and I'll leave concerns like that to others.

Point is, there ain't enough Deer Leases in fucking Texas to do what you're talking about!!

I dunno, not a fan of "hunting".....not against it either.....but that shit seems stupid to me. I hear about it ALL THE TIME up here w/ these country folls I work with.

Holler at me when you got that backstrap jerky tho........

• What is this? It looks like a mermaid from hell.

It's a fish, aptly named "alligator gar."

Ugly and mean? Check. Good eatin'? Not so much.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    If you ain't taken at least one deer in your life, you might as well move to Montrose with an "insert here" sign posted on your back.

Weird... I read that as, you know, taking a deer.

Me too. I don't know where Montrose is, either. I thought an "insert here" sign on your back would allude to a stabbing, not an ass fucking. Harvey needs to get more specific when he writes. The sign should be on the ass and should read "insert cock here". This would help make things clearer for everyone.

10 foot alligator garr could quite easily be pulled from the ditch that was only a couple of hundred of yards away from my house.

DISCONNECTED.

We had a ditch in our front yard, probably 15 feet from the porch. Often, after a good rain, we walk out and there'd be foot-long BLACK EELS in our yard. Freaky.

And the guy who lived three doors down called me into his backyard one day when I was about 12. He had a 6-foot alligator--not an alligator gar, but a real alligator--in a makeshift chickenwire fence; the gator's mouth was duct-taped shut.

When asked where he got it, he replied:

"We was in the bass boat fishin' last night and I seen him in the water. I just jumped on him and held on!"

Next level, yes, but a level I don't ever wanna be on.

But speaking of 10-foot gar:

Good stuff.

On the alligator tip, my friends and I had a spot where'd we go camping near Lake Livingston that was right on a bayou that was full of 8 foot+ alligators. We'd catch fish out of there, then put the fish on our poles as bait to draw in the alligators. It was certainly stupid of us, and definitely inhumane at times, but to a drunken high schooler, bopping an angry, charging alligator on the head was a thrill not to be missed out on.

Gene...please take a nighttime drive out to Westlake and quickly realize that there are far too many deer running around this state.

But if a deer is too precious for you, then please do shoot an armadillo instead.

As far as the gay shit...you mean that the cock actually goes in the butthole???

That's news to me.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I never lived in houston and I never went hunting but we did hit a deer with my dad's truck outside of Bastrop. my pops decided that rather than leave it to die we'd take it down to the Farm Patch Butcher Shop in Bryan and have then cut that shit up.

fuck guns watchu know about texas roadkill