Pirates DVDs from China / Airport customs ?

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
few weeks from my departure from china and this morning I had this in mind:I bought something like 40 dvds in Shanghai (for something like 500 rmb ).... I know that its not big number but those are illegal copies and I'm wondering if the custom could questioning and bitchin on it.........anybody has experience on this ? (....been asked to open the luggage and.....)

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ive heard of customers being warned to throw out the packaging and just taking the discs overseas

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Ship them in smaller bunches of 5-8 each. They're flat and will easily fit in a slightly padded small envelope. My wife brought over whole bunches of those from an assignment in Shanghai and just had them in her suitcase but then again, she's traveling with a diplomatic passport...

Bottom line, better mail them.

BTW the quality of those DVDs generaly is amazing, right?

Just bought another bunch of them in Freetown a few weeks ago for about 2 bucks a pop more pricy as compared to the 80 cents in Shanghai but still a good deal!

good luck

Frank

• damagedamage 118 Posts
    what i did was just put them on the bottom of my carryon underneath a lot of shit...no problems. i have also heard stories too though so be careful.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Ditch the packaging. You do not need those plastic cases (recycle them), or sleeves with Engrish and credits for a different movie.

I am not even sure if putting them into CD wallets is a good idea (look suspect). Last time I was in Shanghai I just wrap them up with some worn t-shirts and stash them in my check-in luggage.

Getting the precious cargo through Shanghai airport is relatively easy, it's about getting them back in your home country that's the sweat-inducing part of the story.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Every time that I had bootleg DVD's/CD's acquired from overseas, I was good to go.
    The rule of thumb was to take one of each, not multiple copies.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    My wife's traveling with a diplomatic passport...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

raer

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

raer

me too, by the way, makes african border crossing and many other things a whole lot easier...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    haha, I brought mad bootleg movies back from Mexico, and didnt even think to try and hide them or anything. Sometimes worrying too much about it is what gets you caught!

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

thanks all of you for the suggestions......

Of course I don't care for plastic cases....the problem is that I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP at least the covers with the credits ........and yes it's true, the quality is amazing but sometimes they write "special edition", but then inside you find just the normal version containing only the movie with no extras........

....any of you knows if these guys find out that I hide it , will they possibly ask just to leave it or they will charge for it ,giving you no alternatives ?? ..... I don't know these customs rules.....and I'm currently on a shoe-lace budget

by the way I can't believe this sweated question was my 1000th post........