If you fileshare, be careful. I got this email

AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Dear Customer,We are writing on behalf of Cox Communications to advise you that we have received a notification that you are using your Cox High Speed Internet service to post or transmit material that infringes the copyrights of a complainant's members. We have included a copy of the complaint letter. Pursuant to the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), which is codified at 17 U.S.C. ?? 512, upon receiving such notification, Cox is required to "act expeditiously to remove, or disable access to" the infringing material in order to avoid liability for any alleged copyright infringement. Accordingly, Cox will suspend your account and disable your connection to the Internet within 24 hours of your receipt of this email if the offending material is not removed.Please be aware that the DMCA also provides procedures by which a subscriber accused of copyright violation can respond to the allegations of infringement and, under certain circumstances, cause his or her account to be reinstated. To do so, however, the response must meet certain criteria. Pursuant to section (g) of the DMCA (17 U.S.C. ?? 512(g)), you have the right to submit to Cox a counter-notification which, to be effective, must include the following elements: (a) a physical or electronic signature of the subscriber; (b) identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or disabled; (c) a statement under penalty of perjury that the subscriber has a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled; (d) the subscriber???s name, address, and telephone number and a statement that the subscriber consents to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located.In the event that you submit to Cox a counter-notification that includes these elements, Cox will forward your counter notification to the complainant and advise them that Cox will cease disabling access to the allegedly infringing material in ten (10) business days. Unless the complainant notifies us that it has filed an action seeking a court order to restrain you from engaging in the allegedly infringing activity prior to the expiration of those ten (10) business days, Cox will reactivate your account.For answers to frequently asked questions, please follow the link below:http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/asp/con...b9-618ea54d1791Sincerely,Cox Customer Security --- Original Message --------BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----Hash: SHA1Re: Unauthorized Use of NBC Universal PropertiesNotice ID: 14-716187626 Aug 2006 22:08:41 GMTDear Sir or Madam:Please be advised that NBC Universal and/or its subsidiary and affiliated companies (collectively, NBC Universal) are the owners of exclusive rights protected under copyright law and other intellectual property rights in many motion pictures and television programs, including the title(s) listed below (the NBC Universal Properties). NBC Universal diligently enforces its rights in its motion pictures.It has come to our attention that Cox Communications is the service provider for the IP address listed below, from which unauthorized copying and distribution (downloading, uploading, file serving, file "swapping" or other similar activities) of the NBC Universal Property or Properties listed below, or portion(s) thereof, is taking place. We believe that the Internet access of the user engaging in this infringement is provided by Cox Communications or a downstream service provider who purchases this connectivity from Cox Communications. This unauthorized copying and distribution constitutes copyright infringement under Section 106 of the U.S. Copyright Act. Depending upon the type of service Cox Communications is providing to this IP address, it may have legal and/or equitable liability if it does not expeditiously remove or disable access to the motion picture(s) listed below, or if it fails to implement a policy that provides for termination of subscribers who are repeat infringers (see 17 U.S.C. 512).Despite the above, NBC Universal believes that the entire Internet community benefits when these matters are resolved cooperatively. We urge you to take immediate action to stop this infringing activity and inform us of the results of your actions. We appreciate your efforts toward this common goal.The undersigned has a good faith belief that use of the NBC Universal Property or Properties in the manner described herein is not authorized by NBC Universal, its agent or the law. The information contained in this notification is accurate. Under penalty of perjury, the undersigned is authorized to act on behalf of NBC Universal with respect to this matter.Please be advised that this letter is not intended to be a complete statement of the facts or law as they may pertain to this matter or of NBC Universal's positions, rights or remedies, legal or equitable, all of which are specifically reserved. Please send us a prompt response indicating the actions you have takento resolve this matter, making sure to reference the Notice ID number above in your response.mailto:(link removed by algarth)If you do not wish to reply by email, please use our Web Interface byclicking on the following link:(link removed by algarth)Note: If your email program has inserted line breaks into either theemail or web links above, you can copy and paste the entire link in toyou email program, or favorite web browser, respectively.Very truly yours,Aaron MarkhamDirector of Internet Anti-Piracy,Worldwide Anti-Piracy OperationsNBC UNIVERSAL100 Universal City Plaza 1220/2Universal City, CA 91608tel. (818) 777-48__fax (818) 866-21__*pgp public key is available on the key server at ldap://keyserver.pgp.com** For any correspondence regarding this case, please send your emails to [email]antipiracy@unistudios.com[/email] and refer to Notice ID: 14-7161876. If you need immediate assistance or if you have general questions please call the number listed above.Title: Breakfast Club, TheInfringement Source: GnutellaInitial Infringement Timestamp: 26 Aug 2006 21:57:01 GMTRecent Infringment Timestamp: 26 Aug 2006 21:57:01 GMTInfringer Username: Infringing Filename: The Breakfast Club ;-) DivX.aviInfringing Filesize: 759353343Infringers IP Address: 70.179.46.1__Infringers DNS Name: ip70-179-46-1__.sd.sd.cox.netInfringing URL:

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

For the rest of your natural born life, your ass is mine AlGarth![/b]

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Also over here in Germany, Hamburg, the recording industry runs several offices filled with students (who dl themselves) to "hunt down" filesharers. Conspirative meetings on highways, home raids and jail sentences inclusive...watch your back, kid! I don't mind, I go and buy some vinyl...

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Basically if anyone uses P2P programs like Limewire, Acquisition, Acqlite, etc.., be extra careful what is in your "shared" folder.

If you are using torrents, do NOT seed, only leech.

Best advice I can give. It seems they aren't fucking around any more.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Title: Breakfast Club, The
    Infringement Source: Gnutella
    Initial Infringement Timestamp: 26 Aug 2006 21:57:01 GMT
    Recent Infringment Timestamp: 26 Aug 2006 21:57:01 GMT
    Infringer Username:
    Infringing Filename: The Breakfast Club ;-) DivX.avi
    Infringing Filesize: 759353343
    Infringers IP Address: 70.179.46.1__
    Infringers DNS Name: ip70-179-46-1__.sd.sd.cox.net
    Infringing URL:

damn getting pinched for the breakfast club...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    They're after mainstream movies/music.

I doubt they'd come after you if you just shared miami bass and modern soul!

Infringer Username:
    Infringing URL:

Tell me about it. I didn't realize that I even had that movie. And if I recall I think I got it by accident while trying to get something else. Lame.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Do you have wireless? Keep ur network open.

I've heard a few people have now got cases dropped against them, just because they have the network open.

There is no case against me as of yet (thank god).

But yeah I saw what you're talking about on the news recently.

I wonder.... If my router is either/or but I am currently hard wired, couldn't I just say I was wireless? I mean can they tell somehow if I'm wireless or hard wired?

• I use PeerGuardian and haven't gotten any threatening emails or letters yet. I'm pretty careful with what I share though.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

Steve Sanders loves cocks ?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

hahaha

i always hated that he pronounced his name "eye-yan".

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

hahaha

i always hated that he pronounced his name "eye-yan".

inducing, for sure...

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    I've heard of a few people getting these these emails/warnings/whatever

Anyone ever get one from using a private torrent site though?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Infringer Username:
    Infringing URL:

I think Hollywood is more likely to pinch you than anybody...

• yeah i used to think staying away from tuesdays releases and really current CAM versions(which suck anyways) of in theater films would save you.

a couple of my friends just got letters for:

i heart huckabies, a old hitchcock film..no music type files yet.

i usually go and get strange flicks or tv series.