Sweet Soul Sangers

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I was listening to Syreeta and was wondering how many other women share that angelic sweet high voice.Minnie RippertonChante MooreTamia - maybe I would like to make a comp for myself but I'd like to add mo' ladies.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Aaliyah could be on the list.

How does Syreeta's 80's output sound?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I was listening to Syreeta and was wondering how many other women share that angelic sweet high voice.

Minnie Ripperton
    Chante Moore
    Tamia - maybe

I would like to make a comp for myself but I'd like to add mo' ladies.

Corinne Bailey Rae.

I was listening to Syreeta and was wondering how many other women share that angelic sweet high voice.

Corinne Bailey Rae.

Seriously - On her album does she get sweet and high? I think the first single/video was slow and meloncholy, but I cant recall if she has that clean "pure" vocal.

Corinne Bailey Rae.

Seriously - On her album does she get sweet and high? I think the first single/video was slow and meloncholy, but I cant recall if she has that clean "pure" vocal.

Well, ain't nobody messing with Minnie Rip when it comes to sweet and high and angelic- "perfect angel" is right on point. But check out "Enchanted" off of Corinne's album and see if this fits what you're talking about.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=77DC42D16B5E0178

I couldn't place CBRae in w/ this group, based on that song. She's real gentle-like, but not golden high enuff.

I couldn't place CBRae in w/ this group, based on that song. She's real gentle-like, but not golden high enuff.

Fair enough. Well, I know CBR isn't another Minnie (nobody is), but do you have any examples of Chante Moore or Tamia songs that are in the mode you're looking for? I never saw them as being anything like Minnie either, but I really don't know their catalogue very well.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Corinne Bailey Rae.

Ur gurl is in concert here tonight.

Maybe I should try to reach!

If I do, I'll be sure to drop her ur well wishes Phill

Fair enough. Well, I know CBR isn't another Minnie (nobody is), but do you have any examples of Chante Moore or Tamia songs that are in the mode you're looking for? I never saw them as being anything like Minnie either, but I really don't know their catalogue very well.

Tamia is a stretch, but Chante Moore is a st8 Ripperton clone. You should cop her A Love Supreme LP.
    CMoore does a cover of FREE done by.....

.....................cant forget Deniece Williams.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Which Linda Lewis album would u suggest?

• Lark.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I don't think Linda Lewis is soul

I don't think Linda Lewis is soul

It doesnt really have to be SOUL. I could throw a Jazzy Blossom Dearie song in there if needed be.

Cool, I just was going by the thread title parameters compounded by the fact I think Linda Lewis is wack. Lark bites. Deniece Williams is essential.

Cool, I just was going by the thread title parameters compounded by the fact I think Linda Lewis is wack. Lark bites. Deniece Williams is essential.

Linda Lewis is a blend of various genres?

• Linda Lewis is soul and Lark is not wack.

It is, perhaps, not everyone's cup of tea.

Linda Lewis is soul and Lark is not wack.

It is, perhaps, not everyone's cup of tea.

BATMON, if you don't like Corinne Bailey Rae you probably won't like Linda Lewis either. They're not exactly the same, but both make kinda soft and gentle music so I would guess that it's probably not for you. I would still say listen for yourself, though. "Lark" is real nice to me, at least some of the songs. That's another album I need to revisit, haven't listened to it in a looooong time.

Corinne Bailey Rae.

Ur gurl is in concert here tonight.

Maybe I should try to reach!

If I do, I'll be sure to drop her ur well wishes Phill

Try to get her number for me if you can. thanks.

Linda Lewis is a blend of various genres?

Yes. Terry Callier without the talent. I remember being in a store one day listening to it, and I was like, you've got to be kidding me, this shit is terrible. Perhaps I was having a bad day. This is not impugning her singing however, it is the music on that LP as a sum total.

*No offense to those who like LL-L.

Added -

Patrice Rushen

Shanice

Laurnea

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I dig Linda Lewis.
    Reach For The Truth is the jam.
    I need a clean copy of Lark.

I dig Linda Lewis.

Does Linda Lewis have an "angelic/sweet/coying/golden/creamy" voice?

Anita Bell

I've never heard anything more than the hit.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I dig Linda Lewis.

Does Linda Lewis have an "angelic/sweet/coying/golden/creamy" voice?
    Well IMO, if you mean does she sound similar to the women you posted, then no.
    Her voice is unique. I'm not sure which words would describe her style.
    But Reach Out For The Truth is a favorite of mine.

Valerie Carter - Ooh Child