Black Seeds/East of Underground Army LPs

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I just picked up the Black Seeds/Sound Trek LP which I think was from the same U.S. Army/Germany band competition that East of Underground won the year prior. Are there any other albums in this series? I'm also curious about the price disparity b/t the Black Seeds and East of Underground LPs - is the former more obscure? Or do people simply like the music better?

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    What, is the Black Seeds actually going for more than the East Of Underground lp?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Oops, I meant "the latter". Why does East of Underground go for chingo bling compared to Black Seeds?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Oops, I meant "the latter". Why does East of Underground go for chingo bling compared to Black Seeds?

Black Seeds turns up a bit more, but it is certainly an issue of content + extreme record fetishism.

Black Seeds LP does not have Hell Below.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

I think most people would consider the East Of Underground a far better album than the Black Seeds lp. I agree with that, although I do like the Black Seeds album too. The covers of Go Outside In The Rain and Ain't No Sunshine are
    I need to listen to the whole album again, though. Haven't peeped it in many a year.

Black Seeds turns up a bit more, but it is certainly an issue of content + extreme record fetishism.

Yeah - song for song, I think EoU is, by far, a stronger album: just more interesting songs, better arrangements (and it's funkier too). That said, I'm feeling how the Black Seeds open with "In the Rain" and I dig their cover of "Ain't No Sunshine."

I am not so crazy about the faint, hairline scratches causing skips on a few other songs however.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Yeah - song for song, I think EoU is, by far, a stronger album: just more interesting songs, better arrangements (and it's funkier too). That said, I'm feeling how the Black Seeds open with "In the Rain" and I dig their cover of "Ain't No Sunshine."

I am not so crazy about the faint, hairline scratches causing skips on a few other songs however.

totally wish they were pressed better. but that wish should be granted with EoU pretty soon...........

• does anyone have audio of black seeds?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

totally wish they were pressed better. but that wish should be granted with EoU pretty soon...........

:fiendishly rubbing hands together:

• I regret passing on black seeds for a few bucks a while back. Like $15 or something. whoops.

When is east of underground being repressed? Is it remastered? If so,

Love the music, could use the vocals a little lower so my ears don't get blown out...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I wonder if anyone ever bought East Of Underground for the LP by the OTHER band????

What is the price czech rate on the Black Seeds? I'm assuming it's not $1000.

I regret passing on black seeds for a few bucks a while back. Like $15 or something. whoops.

When is east of underground being repressed? Is it remastered? If so,

Love the music, could use the vocals a little lower so my ears don't get blown out...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I got mine several years ago at a small record swap. Think I paid $35. No idea what the going rate is/was.

• I got mine several years ago at a small record swap. Think I paid $35. No idea what the going rate is/was.

No idea either. I saw it for sale for $25 but this was the same place that had EOU for $8 so I don't think they are a reliable guide