The postman was cool

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I met the postman in the driveway today to sign for one of my packages. I heard Iron Butterfly's "Most Anything That You Want" playing on his car stereo."Iron Butterfly fan, huh?" I said."Yeah they're a great band," he said, adding, "Have you heard of a band called Love?"Cool Postman = I forgot to tell him that he'd just delivered Arthur Lee's VINDICATOR album to me just a few days ago.He also mentioned he liked Quicksilver Messenger Service.Any of ya'll got a Cool Postman?

Comments

• The clerks at my local post office branch listen to hyphy while they work

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Any of ya'll got a Cool Postman?

Nope, ususally mine is full of shit. He used to stack promos into my much too small post box at my place, usually stuff got stolen, I complained, nothing happened and I had to change my postal adress, as my house is a junkiehole. That said, I used to work at the big post office where all the stuff goes together to make extra cash and my boss turned out to be the bboy champ 84 from my hometown that I always wanted to meet wayback when. He couldn't believe it when I told him and we started talking about breaks, Kurtis Blow and Kraftwerk (he went to see them live while I was there and he was even djing from time to time) and I had some extra freedom during shifts due to that connection. Dope!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    the big post office where all the stuff goes together to make extra cash

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Any of ya'll got a Cool Postman?
    no

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    the big post office where all the stuff goes together to make extra cash

Ah, English language and the concept of SPO...I meant I was working there to make a little extra cash on the side...that said, we all made some extra there, when we [weedrelated]smelled something[/weedrelated]

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    My postman Alan is the man. We always talk lady problems together.

• YUP my postman's name is James and he is a big dude who wears one of those safari hats. Are they standard issue in Florida? Anyhow he trucks all my packages out here and I give him something at christmas, we shoot the shit if we meet up, etc... cool guy.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Damn, am I the only one who have a postal clerk that's a semi-douchebag?

Everytime she delivers records to me, I always get a stupid, unfunny comment.
    When her boss delivers it, it's ten times worse.

Uggghh. I need to start a new life.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    we had a bird's nest with eggs in it in our mailbox, so my wife put out a basket and put a big note on the mailbox to leave the mail in the basket... the lady who normally delivers the mail is great, and was happy to put it in the basket... she went on vacation for a few days, and the bastard that was filling in for her threw the nest and eggs in our bushes!... what kind of asshole does that?... i saw him down the street a couple of days later, and told him that was a dick move, and he said he didn't see a note, which is absolutely impossible... anyway, he's lucky i saw him walking and not my wife, she would have run his ass over!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My mailman is deaf. I thought he was doing the Elaine thing on Seinfeld when she was in the limo with the limo driver, but nope, he's deaf. I find myself not talking or talking soft when I'm around him, what up with that?

• sergserg 682 Posts
    never met my mail man but my ups dude is awesome. we started talking about music one day and apparently dude is a big Coughnut fan. On his lunch breaks he usually posts up in his van and plays the trumpet. Only thing is that he keeps asking me if I know where to get some fucking Anthony Hamilton record that he can't find.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I think my mailman has "issues". He's very sketchy. Sometimes I purposely don't answer the buzzer when he comes and just go pick it up at the office. There is one clerk at the office who refers to me as her "regular" and she's really nice. Always teasing me about records.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Before he was the super-producer making beats
    for 50 Cent and De La Jake One used to deliver
    packages to my place.
    Thanks for not jackin' em Jake!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I chat with my post lady all the time about music and such. She told me she used to jam to Herb Kents radio show alot, so I made her a mix of lots of local soul tunes they would have been playing back then, and she said it brought old memories back and now she's fiendin for more CDs!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    A while back on the old deepfunk board someone mentioned a postman who collects Northern and has a tendency to make 45 mailers disappear...

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    The postman was definately not cool

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    When I took in some records to send, the lady at the post office asked me if I was a Dj, and she also told me she likes Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66. I thought it was cool.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    My old postman "Tom" used to hang around and talk to me. One day I was playing some Sly and he was like "You got to checkout this Sly tune of his first album called 'Underdog'." Needless to say, I had the record and put it on and ol' Tom was right.

He still creeped me out though cause he always tried to look in my house and ask too many questions. But my postmen today are only good for breaking shit.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i worked as a postman for 1 year in Redfern Sydney,Australia. id tell stories but why bother when you can just go and buy this:

(Aussie heads: i delivered to Everly St, every day...)

posties are mostly a good lot, dont forget them at xmas.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    i worked as a postman for 1 year in Redfern Sydney,Australia. id tell stories but why bother when you can just go and buy this:

(Aussie heads: i delivered to Everly St, every day...)

yeah, but nzshadow > bukowski

Please shadow, start a thread of post stories! Any young widow opening the door in her underwear? Things like that

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts

Yup. My dad was a postie and got rich at Christmas. My ones super chilled. My neighbour knows him better than me and says she thinks he collects records to. Never had a record go missing or turn up broken. Collectors Karma in action. He does take the piss when I take ages to answer the door due to still being asleep.

• If we're talking UPS delivery guys, mine is a total dick.

We get shipments of expensive things a few times a year and he'll just leave them on the back porch without knocking. If there's no car in the driveway, he doesn't bother to knock or ring the bell. Even if it needs a signature.
    My wife has tried to ask him nicely but he apparently does not give a fugg.
    Packages always arrive after 5PM, too.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    our UPS man was in Xavion

remember "eat your heart out" on MTV every day?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

yeah, but nzshadow > bukowski

Cheers, but NO. The man was a legend.

RIP.

Please shadow, start a thread of post stories! Any young widow opening the door in her underwear? Things like that

shiiiiiiiiit, I did it for just over a year, i was a relief postman, so if your regular guy was sick, theyd get me to fill in, it was completly shit, youd just get used to a run and then dude would come back and youd be thrown onto another area with a shitty outofdate map and have to learn all over again.

Every day i prayed for the frustrated trophy wife, Never happenned. fucking shit job.

I did deliver to Eveleigh St, Redfern for 3 months straight, i cant even begin to describe the shit i saw there. Ask an Aussie about Eveleigh street, shit is real.

Poverty on a level i have not seen anywhere in the world and i have travelled,it was fucking apartheid at work and this was 1999. heroin addiction on such a scale that it just became the norm, on one side of the street i counted 78 used syringes. i saw preschool aboriginal kids playing with used needles, i saw a dead body with the fix still in, saw a guy get his head caved in by a 2X4 and watched the police laugh and turn away. The houses were just concrete shells, there was no glass in the windows, no floorboards as the locals had burnt the wood in the winter,no doors, Nothing. when the cops raided in the mornings, they take the locals away and brick up the house so noone would move in, but they would smash through the bricks and get their fix on onside. grafitti on everything, it was like walking through the apocolypse, then youd turn a corner and it was back to the real world. A really fucking depressing job. I saw shit i still have a hard time forgetting. The Block was no joke.