Daily Dose of Carpetbaggeury

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
From a DJ Shadow interview on www.xxlmag.com:
There was a lot of garbage gangsta rap too. That???s the only differentiation I ever made: quality versus fly-by-night bullshit. But even some of the fly-by-night bullshit became good: I remember 8Ball and MJG in the early '90s, I was like, "I don???t know I???m not really feeling this." But then they kind of came into their own, around '97, '98, and it made sense to me. Sometimes people just need more time to gel.
So damn weak.

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I did a mix CD last year called Funky Skunk and I sold it did like, 50,000 [copies] [downloads] or something like that.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    well in our lifetime is pretty clearly their best album.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

the best is yet to come

Gel takes a while to solidify

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Once they collabed with Outkast, they magically became cool.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I dont like that one as much as "On top of the World" really.
    I might prefer Space Age 4 Eva, too.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

There was a lot of garbage gangsta rap too. That???s the only differentiation I ever made: quality versus fly-by-night bullshit. But even some of the fly-by-night bullshit became good: I remember 8Ball and MJG in the early '90s, I was like, "I don???t know I???m not really feeling this." But then they kind of came into their own, around '97, '98, and it made sense to me. Sometimes people just need more time to gel.

So damn weak.

Who needs that "gelling time" exactly? Josh or 8&MJG?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

It's their most polished and is clearly the album that would appeal most to self-styled real headz, but I personally listen to Comin' Out Hard the most.

It's just weak to try to impose the elevation in your personal consciousness--i.e. the fact that in 1998 you were finally ready to take Eightball & MJG seriously--upon the artist by suggesting that what really happened is that they stopped making "garbage gangsta" music that year.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I don't disagree with you. That's clearly a bad look for joshy.

Their worst album... although it does include "Buck Bounce," one of their greatest songs.

• I don't disagree with you. That's clearly a bad look for joshy.

That's probabally the thing he's been good at this year. Self-embarassment

coldblooded

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    but I personally listen to Comin' Out Hard the most.

Mr. Big, Mr. Big, they call me Mr. Big...

but I personally listen to Comin' Out Hard the most.

Mr. Big, Mr. Big, they call me Mr. Big...

I thought Li'l Wayne paying tribute to that on Dedication was an officially great look...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Their worst album... although it does include "Buck Bounce," one of their greatest songs.

Co-sign.

They should have gave Quik a couple more track on that album.

Co-sign.

Brace yourself for a screed from deej about how we are merely sheep and he is "rethinking the canon"...

Co-sign.

Brace yourself for a screed from deej about how we are merely sheep and he is "rethinking the canon"...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    "rethinking the canon" vs. "thinking for yourself"

Buck Bounce is great obv
    You don't like the Swizz tracks on that shit?

I like how modern it sounds. My 'least listened to' album would be "on the outside looking in."

But seriously underrated = MJG's solo record.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    But hey how am I to argue with "correct" opinions
    (secret underrated 8ball and mjg song ever is on harlem world, shhhhh. 9.5)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Space Age is my favorite album by them. Does that my taste suspect?

I agree.

Space Age is my favorite album by them. Does that my taste suspect?

It depends how you feel about Shawnna's album.

I agree.

Although I'm not sure if much of anything on a triple platinum album is a secret--that may actually have been one of their biggest looks.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    NO ONE EXPECTED THE UNEXPECTED

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Why couldnt he just be like "yeah i used to hate on all this shit, but now Im into it".

Instead hes gotta be like "oh fo sho, you know i was always into hyphy and basicly i was up on all this ish right here because you know im such a master musicologist".

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Shadow strikes me as the type of dude that's too nice to say he thinks something sucks.

Shadow strikes me as the type of dude that's too nice to say he thinks something sucks.

No, actually, he's saying in this very interview that big Ball and G sucked until he reached a point in his understanding of rap where he was ready to accept them.

Exceedingly weak.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

So damn weak.

I think you're taking the quote a bit out of context.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    to me that quote says "eightball and mjg sucked up until 97/98" which is a fucking absurd statement to make. its bad enough that they're completely under appreciated by non-southern rap headz

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    mabye he means he needs more time to gel with certain records. I dunno. if not, that comment is quite suspect.

So damn weak.

I think you're taking the quote a bit out of context.

That's the best defense you can come up with?

Whining about how the quote is "taken out of context"?

Explain how it means something else when taken in the context of the full interview or keep it to yourself, because it seems quite clear to me.

So damn weak.

Why couldnt he just be like "yeah i used to hate on all this shit, but now Im into it".