Since we're talking about race - racist boss

deejdeej 5,125 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
My friend has a racist boss and she's not really sure what the proper procedure is in this situation. Her work is in one of the dicier white urban neighborhoods in chicago, one that back in the day had lots of problems when they first started bussing in schools and when MLK came he marched thru this 'hood with supporters as part of a rally to end housing restrictions, which (alongside police brutality) was the major overt race-issue in chicago at the time. This was the area where white folks abused the marchers and cops under Daley stood idly by. Anyway, her boss is from this area and unsurprisingly still harbors some serious nasty tendencies.He would just say some subtle-yet-suspect stuff at first, which was annoying, but she really started getting upset when she realized how far his attitudes extended into hiring practices. She just started this job and is working as an office manager, and when looking through resumes of job applicants she was more or less directed to remove from the pile of potential employees anyone who is 'obviously black.' BUT she was not directed in so many words; the boss covers his ass, so when she handed him a stack of resumes that included some folks who were "obviously black" he would say things like "this person lives too far away" (for a west side address) or some other relatively 'innocuous' excuse to eliminate them from the pile.1st off, she's started looking for a new job; the first day when this happened she was telling me how sick and depressed she felt, and i agree with her that it would be absurd to continue working for someone like that. But what other steps should she take? Just get mad and curse him out when she quits? I can't imagine its easy to just report this sort of thing, since he is obviously doing this 'under the table' as is, and I'm pretty sure its difficult to actually catch him explicitly discriminating in a way that would hold up in court. And its just a relatively small local company, so its not the kind of thing that would get Dateline hidden cameras or something. Whats the 'right thing to do,' in this situation, the most practical steps to take?

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Go to HR and report it... I spent all day Tuesday in the California mandated Management Harrassment Prevention Workshop and that was pretty much the answer for any situation.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Go to HR and report it... I spent all day Tuesday in the California mandated Management Harrassment Prevention Workshop and that was pretty much the answer for any situation.

The impression I get is that this guy is the big boss which makes it really hard to get anything done.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

The impression I get is that this guy is the big boss which makes it really hard to get anything done.
    Yeah I mean we're not really talking about a company w/ an HR department (as far as I know). I'm pretty sure she's the only real administrative person there outside of the boss and maybe a few other folks who work as assistants.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I documented my episodes of harrassment from my old job on here pretty well. the lesson I learned from it all is its hard to get anything done, despite laws against harrassment, equal opportunity hiring, etc. It really comes down to whether you can grin and bear it or not.

damn that was depressing to type

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

I documented my episodes of harrassment from my old job on here pretty well. the lesson I learned from it all is its hard to get anything done, despite laws against harrassment, equal opportunity hiring, etc. It really comes down to whether you can grin and bear it or not.

damn that was depressing to type

When your friend leaves the job she should tell the boss why she is leaving and that his behavior is unacceptable. A lot of time people don't do this, and the guy needs to know that people see through his bullshit.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    How many of you work for a sexist[/b] boss?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    When your friend leaves the job she should tell the boss why she is leaving and that his behavior is unacceptable. A lot of time people don't do this, and the guy needs to know that people see through his bullshit.
    Yeah this sounds like good advice...you think i should recommend she do it in writing or in person?

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    As shitty as that sounds I believe Title XII only covers companies with 20+ employees or companies that recieve government funds.

edit: 15 or more employees, or federal, state, and local governments.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

damn that was depressing to type read

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Yeah this sounds like good advice...you think i should recommend she do it in writing or in person?

It could screw up her reference there, which sucks even more if she's been there a while...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

It could screw up her reference there, which sucks even more if she's been there a while...

It's sad but true, if lucky she'll be able to walk away with the experience and no negative marks against her

I gave 3 years of my life to the store I worked for before letting it be known that I don't appreciate other employees making comments and writing swastikas on the door.

there is now a 3 year gap on my resume

• How many of you work for a sexist[/b] boss?

that comment coupled with your avatar makes that post

not hatin cuz i get a kick out of it...jussayin

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I'm not sexist.
    Those avatars are actually some weird shit I started doing about a year ago.

On another note, working for a sexist boss is a pain in the ass.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

eh, just give me as a reference. No one is legit on these things.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

eh, just give me as a reference. No one is legit on these things.

when people ask I just tell them those were my "college years"

besdies Being a record store employee doesn't seem to matter much in the world of television production

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i don't think that nothing will be done to him is a good reason to stay quiet.

if it's not too late and it's still fairly fresh in her mind, i think she should write down all that has happened so far, with dates if possible, and continue to keep track until she leaves and then give it to everyone above him.

she could also submit a letter when she quits including the incidents and CC the higher ups and make them understand that she is leaving because of this and that it unacceptable that there is nothing in place at this company to prevent racist (and illegal) behaviour.

if he is one of the higher ups, she could call the labour board (does Chicago/ the States have such a thing?) and let them know her concerns with examples and report it to them.

the 'right thing to do' is a personal decision, however, i'm pretty sure doing nothing is not the right thing to do.