Belgian recommendations?

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I have a Belgian friend who's going home next week, and she offered to pick up some tunes for me. However, my knowledge of the native music scene is nil. Any recommendations? I'm thinking Jazz, Funk, Soul, Disco...thanks!

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Too many to mention!

Nico Gomez
    JJ Band, Plus, Jess & James, Free Pop Electronic Concept
    El Chicles
    Chackachas
    TNTH
    Kluger Productions in general
    Soul Bluff
    Pink Elephant label
    Placebo
    Marc Moulin
    first Philip Catherine LP
    and so on and so on...

Belgium should be nice. I bet you can find some good French, Dutch and German records there too. But since it is a small country digging must be tough.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    In addition, check for anything moulin related like that group "Cos"...but these are all really hard to find, as most belgians know their shit. and yes, it is a small country. Although you can still come up with finds. Found Nico Gomez' "Ritual" last week at my secret spot at the Belgian border in near mint for 7 euros. But this is extraordinary and not the rule of course. Good luck finding stuff. Where is your friend actually going to? Which city?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    In addition, check for anything moulin related like that group "Cos"...

You want the early Cos albums only though. Any Cos LP will be expensive, even the later ones (which suck). Cos - Babel is overrated IMO. You should ask her to check on the first Cos LP. Train Robbery blabla. Forgot the title, but it's totally "dope"!

• sweet! Thanks for the recs. I may end up getting CDs of these (if they are available) as my friend isn't a DJ or digger. But any expansion of my horizons is a good thing.

thanks again!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    didn't know that...so the first COS only. Has anyone heard of this one record with philip catherine where they are covering "cold sweat"? I think it is french though, but maybe you get this as well...saw it once on the bay, or is this even the first catherine? I don't recall if it was under his name...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Philip Catherine's first LP is called Stream and was produced by Marc Moulin. On Warner. It's the one with "Cold Sweat". A totally awesome record with lots of nice tunes. Usually 150+ Euros

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    on the jazz side, you can check bobby jaspar (flute & tenor), rene thomas (guitar) or fats sadi (vibes) ...