Obscure/ Budget releases by Major Groups

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I'm a big fan of these and try to grab them whenever possible.I'd like to know if anyone can tell about more of thereheres a partial list I know off the top of my headCommodores[/b] "Uprising" (Intermedia)Etta James[/b] "Red Hot n'Live" (Intermedia)Con-funk-shun[/b] "Memphis sessions" (51 West)Ohio Players[/b] LP's on Up Front (were any of these released as LP's before this issue?)please add on

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

On Kory Records

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

On Kory Records

but this is just a repress of the Bell album right?

I'm looking for earlier releases that never came out on LP

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Yeah that's a re-release of the Bell album which is a re-release of his Hot Line LP.

This wasn't made clear initially.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Yeah that's a re-release of the Bell album which is a re-release of his Hot Line LP.

This wasn't made clear initially.

Please forgive Reynaldo--he's not exactly famliar with the nuances of the term "budget"...

• Con-funk-shun[/b] "Memphis sessions" (51 West)

Their Pickwick joint of early stuff is really nice. No "project soul" tho

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Con-funk-shun[/b] "Memphis sessions" (51 West)

Their Pickwick joint of early stuff is really nice. No "project soul" tho

yes thats what I'm talking about. This is now on the want list

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    The Meters - Live at Rozy's (not sure if this counts though)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    The Meters - Live at Rozy's (not sure if this counts though)

Wasn't that more a concert recording from a late Meters date?

if I'm wrong then, yes, it counts

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I thought Live at Rozy's was a fan club record?

• This may not fit into this thread exactly but it's close enough (and I know there's enough Whispers' fans around here) that I feel like mentioning it. I picked up a Whispers "Doctor Love" Lp this morning that compiles 10 of their Dore sides from the 60's. It came out in 1982 on Quicksilver Records. The cover has a naked woman with a snake wrapped around her. Is this fairly common?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Cover pron plaese

• Cover pron plaese

eh, it's really not all that thrilling. the snake covers all the good parts.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Aren't a number of releases on the Guinness label
    supposed to be originally unreleased tracks by known artists?

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    There is a Delfonics album on Pookie records or some shit that is kinda dope. Mid to late 70's

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    There is a Delfonics album on Pookie records or some shit that is kinda dope. Mid to late 70's

what up Jake! That album is from '81 and its all sweet modern soul. I've had it before but didn't find it to my liking.

Now if theres an album of previously unreleased Delfonics 60's output that came out later on in their career I'd be salivating for it

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    lol I made a beat out of it so I remember it fondly.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Commodores[/b] "Uprising" (Intermedia)

I'm assuming this is early stuff they cut in 1969 produced by Jerry "Swamp Dogg" Williams. Are "Rise Up" and "Keep On Dancing" on this elpee? Those two tracks were released as a single on Atlantic; everything else was unreleased till later.

Ohio Players[/b] LP's on Up Front (were any of these released as LP's before this issue?)

What's on it? Does it have "Trespassin," "Sophisticated Alabama Soupbone," "A Little Soul Party," "Got To Hold On"? I think that's the early stuff on Compass (ca. '67-68)? I know some of those songs were on singles ("Trespassin'" charted low on Billboard's soul listings), but I don't think they were released on album until well into the seventies. I don't even know if Up Front had it first; their parent label, Trip, put out some O.P. reissues around the same time.

Of course, if it has "Here Today & Gone Tomorrow," "Bad Bargain," "Over The Rainbow," etc., it's likely their Capitol LP with a new face.