Good record stores in Tucson, AZ

KethroKethro 2 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
So im going to be heading out to The University of Arizona (my girlfriend is visiting there) in early october, i was wondering if anyone knows any good record stores down there, or close to that area.

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    So im going to be heading out to The University of Arizona (my girlfriend is visiting there) in early october, i was wondering if anyone knows any good record stores down there, or close to that area.

Avoid PDQ Records. Although they used to be THE spot in town, the new owners/mgmt have run that place into the ground and chased off most of their longtime customers. Plus their prices are RIDICULOUS.

DEFINITELY check out Twist 'N Shout. It's owned and managed by 2 of PDQ's former longtime employees. Not a HUGE selection, but their pricing is fair (leaning towards the customer's benefit). Tell 'em Herm sent you!

That's pretty much it in town, but I'm sure some of the Phx dudes can help you out with their spots.

Herm

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts

Avoid PDQ Records. Although they used to be THE spot in town, the new owners/mgmt have run that place into the ground and chased off most of their longtime customers. Plus their prices are RIDICULOUS.

DEFINITELY check out Twist 'N Shout. It's owned and managed by 2 of PDQ's former longtime employees. Not a HUGE selection, but their pricing is fair (leaning towards the customer's benefit). Tell 'em Herm sent you!

That's pretty much it in town, but I'm sure some of the Phx dudes can help you out with their spots.

Herm

PDQ is a ripoff and there really isnt anything great in the Phoenix area either. There is a goodwill/salvation army on each block but thery are usually loaded with country music.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Herm

I agree with this mostly, but I did drop by PDQ (which is now Judy's music stop) relatively recently and picked up an underpriced lp that i needed. However all of the overpricing and clear incompetence was extremely frustrating while I was in there and I haven't been in there since.

Twist n Shout is a good spot. Also the Bookman's in the areas occasionally have some records worth picking up. The pricing there is kind of inconsistent. I think there will be a record show in october, the second annual of the one held last year, and the one last year kind of sucked. but i did pick up a few things.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Depends on where you're going in Phoenix. Salvation Army no longer carries wax as of last year. ANYWHERE. They sell in bulk at their auctions on 16th and Mohave. Your best bet are Savers and Goodwills, but again, it depends on where you go. The further East and West you go on I-10, the less picked over you get, but you risk also them not having much at all to begin with. I haven't been to Rockaway in Mesa in YEARS, but I hear they're good. Also, Eastside records in Tempe is definitely a great spot. Very fair pricing on everything and ridiculously cheap on others. Tracks in Wax is kinda ....you will most likely overpay there, but you might get lucky.

Oh yes....Bookmans in Mesa and Phoenix too.

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    Depends on where you're going in Phoenix. Salvation Army no longer carries wax as of last year. ANYWHERE. They sell in bulk at their auctions on 16th and Mohave. Your best bet are Savers and Goodwills, but again, it depends on where you go. The further East and West you go on I-10, the less picked over you get, but you risk also them not having much at all to begin with. I haven't been to Rockaway in Mesa in YEARS, but I hear they're good. Also, Eastside records in Tempe is definitely a great spot. Very fair pricing on everything and ridiculously cheap on others. Tracks in Wax is kinda ....you will most likely overpay there, but you might get lucky.
    is trax n wax still open? last time i was there the prices were rediculous. eastsides is a good spot pricewise but theres nothing there you cant easily find elsewhere.

I agree with this mostly, but I did drop by PDQ (which is now was Judy's music stop but have since changed their name BACK to PDQ because the owners are so stupid that they thought the reason they lost so much business was because they changed there name in the first place.)[/b]

I'm telling you, these new owners are clueless when it comes to running a record store. They need to stick to selling antiques and shit.

Herm

is trax n wax still open? last time i was there the prices were rediculous. eastsides is a good spot pricewise but theres nothing there you cant easily find elsewhere.

Yeah, as far as I know. Took Guzzo there when he was out here....I'm not sure what the hours are anymore. I know the owners come up on some type , but yeah, the prices were pretty ludicrous. Rumor has it that Eastside has a digger amongst the employees so stuff gets picked over as soon as it gets in, but he does miss a lot of stuff. They have a TON of good reissues too if you're into that. You basically have to comb over the Miscellaneous and the overstock to find something good.

Rumor has it that Eastside has a digger amongst the employees so stuff gets picked over as soon as it gets in

Close.

It's actually a good friend of mine who got in real good with the owner. They pretty much hold shit for him to look through before it hits the floor. Then when he finds something he likes, they sell it to him CHEAP.

Lucky bastard.

Herm

P.S. HI P*CO!!!

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

I agree with this mostly, but I did drop by PDQ (which is now was Judy's music stop but have since changed their name BACK to PDQ because the owners are so stupid that they thought the reason they lost so much business was because they changed there name in the first place.)[/b]

I'm telling you, these new owners are clueless when it comes to running a record store. They need to stick to selling antiques and shit.

Herm

holy shit. que idiota.

Rumor has it that Eastside has a digger amongst the employees so stuff gets picked over as soon as it gets in

Close.

It's actually a good friend of mine who got in real good with the owner. They pretty much hold shit for him to look through before it hits the floor. Then when he finds something he likes, they sell it to him CHEAP.

Lucky bastard.

Herm

P.S. HI P*CO!!!

Oh WORD? argh......

PS - WHAT UP!!!!! I GOTS to make a trip down there again soon. Any flea market come-ups lately?

Close.

Lucky bastard.

Herm

P.S. HI P*CO!!!

Oh WORD? argh......

PS - WHAT UP!!!!! I GOTS to make a trip down there again soon. Any flea market come-ups lately?

Nah, I haven't pulled shit in a minute.

Then again, I haven't really been hittin' the spots as much either.

Herm

• sergserg 682 Posts

Close.

Lucky bastard.

Herm

P.S. HI P*CO!!!

man are you referring to Enron? I knew he was on good terms but he got it like that?

Close.

Lucky bastard.

Herm

P.S. HI P*CO!!!

man are you referring to Enron? I knew he was on good terms but he got it like that?

Yup, that foolio iglesias.

I think he applies baby powder on dude's balls in the summer in exchange.

But with that liarface, who really knows?

Herm