PBS/POV: Lomax the Songhunter (earth-moving)

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I just got done watching the PBS documentary of Alan Lomax entitled "Lomax the Songhunter." For those unaware, Lomax was one of this nation's - honestly, the world's - greatest field recorders.There are scenes of utterly firmament-shaking humanity on this document, which was filmed by Dutch filmmaker Rogier Kappers. Kappers ventures into Spanish and Italian villages and plays the town elders Lomax's respective recordings (of themselves and other period locals) from the 1930-40s. The film stands largely silent at these moments and plays observer to the human drama made manifest in the faces of ordinary people who haven't heard this music in - in some cases - upwards of 65 years. Interspliced are scenes of Lomax himself, who at the time of the filming, was ebbing away from a stroke that left him incoherent and literally directing music in his own mind. In a stirring moment, Lomax himself takes what seems like an eternity to shuffle - walker-aided - over to take a seat, then finally collapses upon the couch and throws his head backwards, enthralled in the lyrics and and music that, quite plainly, have kept him alive until this moment.Kappers on Lomax: "Alan Lomax was my hero, a Robin Hood-like figure who traveled around the world with a tape recorder, recording music of poor people. I wanted to talk to him about his passion for folk music and his fear that it would disappear. When I found that he could understand but not respond to my questions, I knew I had to find another way. During my travels and my stay with Lomax and his daughter, my fascination only grew stronger. I feel truly lucky to have met Lomax and to now be able to tell some of his story." There is no human being alive who, in finding himself humbly interested in others, should miss a viewing of this movie. The folk songs are of otherworldly joy and beauty, and the direction is largely unobtrusive and lets the subjects themselves inject what technology and sleight-of-hand cannot.In a word: rapturous. Alan Lomax (1915-2002)information, please.

Comments

• I Tivo-d this last night. Can't wait to see it.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Nice write up Luck.

Well my two PBS channels are only playing this at 4 am on thursday night, so it looks like i am going to have to catch it some other way.

Can't you hit up PBS for copies of stuff after the fact?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Nice write up Luck.

Well my two PBS channels are only playing this at 4 am on thursday night, so it looks like i am going to have to catch it some other way.

Can't you hit up PBS for copies of stuff after the fact?

Apparently, PBS allows filmmakers featured in their POV series to market their own material. From the film's own site:

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

2:19 AM ||

In autumn 2006 Rounder records (www.rounder.com) will release Lomax the Songhunter in its original cinema version (92 minutes) on DVD. We are still negotiating for a soundtrack CD in the same box.
    If you want to be informed about the DVD / CD release please put yourself on the mailing list or write to [email]rogierkappers@gmail.com