Bob Dylan: Technology Sucks

unlasciviousunlascivious 220 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Bob Dylan says the quality of modern recordings is "atrocious," and even the songs on his new album sounded much better in the studio than on disc."I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past 20 years, really," the 65-year-old rocker said in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine.Dylan, who released eight studio albums in the past two decades, returns with his first recording in five years, Modern Times, next Tuesday.Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway.""You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have sound all over them," he added. "There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like ... static."Dylan said he does his best to fight technology, but it's a losing battle."Even these songs probably sounded 10 times better in the studio when we recorded 'em. CDs are small. There's no stature to it."source:http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71636-0.html?tw=rss.index

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    "I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past 20 years, really," the 65-year-old rocker said...

Respect due to Mr Zimmerman, but that quote perfectly illustrates the validity of his observations at this point.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

• "I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past 20 years, really," the 65-year-old rocker said...

Respect due to Mr Zimmerman, but that quote perfectly illustrates the validity of his observations at this point.

and what's funnier...

1986 Knocked Out Loaded Columbia
    1988 Down in the Groove Columbia
    1989 Dylan & the Dead [live] Columbia
    1989 Oh Mercy Columbia
    1990 Under the Red Sky Columbia
    1992 Good as I Been to You Columbia
    1993 World Gone Wrong Columbia
    1995 MTV Unplugged [live] Columbia
    1997 Time Out of Mind Columbia
    2001 Love and Theft Columbia
    2003 Masked and Anonymous Sony
    2006 Modern Times Columbia

"don't hate my latest 12 albums over the past 20 years because of their sound, hate them because of technology!"

• Bob Dylan says the quality of modern recordings is "atrocious," and even the songs on his new album sounded much better in the studio than on disc.

"I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past 20 years, really," the 65-year-old rocker said in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

Dylan, who released eight studio albums in the past two decades, returns with his first recording in five years, Modern Times, next Tuesday.

Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway."

"You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have sound all over them," he added. "There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like ... static."

Dylan said he does his best to fight technology, but it's a losing battle.

"Even these songs probably sounded 10 times better in the studio when we recorded 'em. CDs are small. There's no stature to it."

source:
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71636-0.html?tw=rss.index

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    This, however

Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway."

is

• 1997 Time Out of Mind Columbia

I really like this album.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Grumpy old fart

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm surprised everyone is jumping on him for this -
    he's taking it to an extreme, but he has a point I
    would think many of you agree with ... he's not
    saying music sucks now, but that the sound
    quality of albums released is terrible, and that the
    sound of a CD is inferior to what records sounded like,
    and I pretty much have to agree with him there...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Vinyl is still being pressed, no? And plenty of purists are still using analog recording techniques.

I love the way old records sound but I also like the way new records sound as well. Sound quality isn't what makes records amazing anyways. He's just a little gumpy.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Sound quality isn't what makes records amazing anyways. He's just a little gumpy.

sound quality matter much in enjoying a piece of music (PJ HARVEY "RID OF ME" anyone?)

google image search for gumpy turned up this

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    google image search for gumpy turned up this

^^^^^Doesn't Brian Peppers have his eyes open in the orignal photo?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    he's not saying music sucks now, but that the sound quality of albums released is terrible, and that the sound of a CD is inferior to what records sounded like.

Yes, but that audiophile tirade against the ills of digital sound is still a bit tired. I've been listening to that speech from these old fogeys since the 80s. I'm sure we can all agree that the standards that came with the advent of the CD format are not optimal, but I'd rather deal with reality than sit in the corner and sulk over a sonic setback that is bound to be remedied one way or the other as time moves on, technology improves and standards change.

The digital format meant going a step down sound-wise, but I think its cultural and sociological impact must also be taken into consideration. The way we make, acquire and listen to music today is so much different than in the oooooold days (in a good way IMO), and I think this is just as important as the dissection of sound quality.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

All those interested should check this article and find out how technology has helped to ruin the art of musical recording.

Imperfect Sound Forever

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    The digital format meant going a step down sound-wise, but I think its cultural and sociological impact must also be taken into consideration. The way we make, acquire and listen to music today is so much different than in the oooooold days (in a good way IMO), and I think this is just as important as the dissection of sound quality.

Word up!

The CD days are limited anyways, when ever the new standard drops (maybe within 5 years?) we will not be having this discussion. Sound will get better with time.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    ^^^^^^
    I'm not so sure that it's better. It's certainly easier, and it's opened the doors for a lot of people, but I don't think that the digital era has improved music. What I really think he's talking about is the tendancy to over-compress and limit cd's so that they just sound like a block of noise, or "static" as he puts it. I dunno, there's definately cd's in my shelf that hurt my ears after a while. Check any recent drum and bass for ridiculous levels of limiting. Maybe old Bob should rally against the Waves L2 instead of music?

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    ^^^^^^
    I'm not so sure that it's better. It's certainly easier, and it's opened the doors for a lot of people, but I don't think that the digital era has improved music. What I really think he's talking about is the tendancy to over-compress and limit cd's so that they just sound like a block of noise, or "static" as he puts it. I dunno, there's definately cd's in my shelf that hurt my ears after a while. Check any recent drum and bass for ridiculous levels of limiting. Maybe old Bob should rally against the Waves L2 instead of music?

LOL. DnB is the WORST for that, you can literally turn your amp off and listen to the record. SCREAMIN' HOT high-end is NAGL. There is no dynamics in most records these days. The worst part about this is that radio stations (big ones) compress these already squished to death tracks. That's not going to change any time soon though. Oldschool engineers kringe at the thought of compressing songs that much, but that's just the way it is now.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

co-sign, and CDs are pressed (?) hotter and hotter every year to make it sound good on those horrible boomboxes.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    On the other hand, Mr. Zimmerman has enough money to buy super-audiophile equipment that would make ABBA sound tridiminsional and with air aorund the snare, so I don't know why the fuck he is complaining.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Whatever, show me an old school record that will truly bang in my trunk. See? things are getting better.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    "I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past 20 years, really," the 65-year-old rocker said...

and what's funnier...

1986 Knocked Out Loaded Columbia
    1988 Down in the Groove Columbia
    1989 Dylan & the Dead [live] Columbia
    1989 Oh Mercy Columbia
    1990 Under the Red Sky Columbia
    1992 Good as I Been to You Columbia
    1993 World Gone Wrong Columbia
    1995 MTV Unplugged [live] Columbia
    2003 Masked and Anonymous Sony
    2006 Modern Times Columbia

"don't hate my latest 12 albums over the past 20 years because of their sound, hate them because of technology!"

His new album due next week is supposed to be really damn good. His tour this fall on the east coast is gonna be cool as well.

that said - I really don't quite understand what the hell he's talking about.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Whatever, show me an old school record that will truly bang in my trunk. See? things are getting better.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    ^^^^^^
    I'm not so sure that it's better. It's certainly easier, and it's opened the doors for a lot of people, but I don't think that the digital era has improved music.

Sampling? Hip-hop? Without the digital era we would still be listening to the grateful dead. However, you point about compression is the real issue here. Compression just sucks when it's abused, you lose tonality, and space. Many contemporary releases don't take advantage of any active panning techniques.

As far as Bob Dylan goes: sucker.

Leonard Cohen is , his lyrics are actually good writing.

Leonard Cohen is

One of you photoshop geniuses, please make this happen:

Oh, and as far as your actual comment:

Uh, yeah, if you can say one thing about Bob Dylan,
    it's that he's a terrible songwriter ... right... um...

This, however

is

TRUE!

I been trying to find this open letter that Neil Young wrote about 5 years ago about how digital music sucks. It was so on point.

• Dylan's right, while there are people practicing the old techniques very few these days know how to do it correctly.

And when you diss Dylan, you diss yourself.

1989 Oh Mercy Columbia

Well...

Those three are worth a listen IMO.

Oh Mercy and Time out of Mind are both excellent Daniel Lanois productions.

Love and Theft is the best of the three and one of his best records. We're talking about a different Dylan at this point. Forget about Blonde on Blonde, Desire etc. This is more like the Johnny Cash stuff that Rick Rubin produced. Haunting and rich.

While his recent records are spotty at best, when they are good, they are GREAT IMO.

And most of what he says in interviews is so on point. Try to find the footage of his recent interview with Ed Bradley.

Ed asks Dylan flat out how he wrote all the songs up through Blonde on Blonde. Dylan flatly says, "I don't know." and Bradley follows up, "Do you think you could do that again?" Daylan straight up says, "No."

I also like the Things Done Changed song from "Wonder Boys"

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Seriously, he can say what ever the fuck he wants about music.

• ^^^^^^
    I'm not so sure that it's better. It's certainly easier, and it's opened the doors for a lot of people, but I don't think that the digital era has improved music.

Sampling? Hip-hop? Without the digital era we would still be listening to the grateful dead. However, you point about compression is the real issue here. Compression just sucks when it's abused, you lose tonality, and space. Many contemporary releases don't take advantage of any active panning techniques.

Without Dylan there is no Leonard Cohen.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Dylan's right, while there are people practicing the old techniques very few these days know how to do it correctly.

On point.