snakes on a movie screen

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
who's seen it? fess up! i won't judgei watched it last night. it was pretty satisfying b movie entertainment, gruesome and gory as fuck and absurdly funny etc. it's pretty much about snakes on a plane and a bunch of bad shit that happens with that combination as you would expect. there are snakes riding drink carts down the aisle and biting people and having fun doing so. poisonous snakes just having a gay ol' time wriggling around and murderingit reminds me a lot of Tremors.

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

it reminds me a lot of Tremors.

I think I need to see it if this is the case.

• choleracholera 101 Posts
    I haven't seen it yet, but am planning this Sunday. I can see how this would remind you of Tremors, just from the trailers I've seen. For some reason, I think it would be great if the snakes had distinct personalities, a la Gremlins (who's 'Stripe' for SOAP?).

I'm not really sure why I'm even asking, but what's the soundtrack like? Man, the soundtrack would have the potential to be on some crazy conceptual collabs styles. Just a thought.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I copped a boot of this in Oakland. It's fun but the key line they added later into the film seems really tacked on. Otherwise it was a solid good time and actually pretty well made. I have to admit, even at 90 minutes, I was checking my watch. The only reason to see it in the theatres is to enjoy the crowd response. Otherwise wait for DVD.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Weeeeeee

I was waiting for ur opinion! And since I got a voicemail from Mr. Jackson himself, I now have to see this!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    who's seen it? fess up! i won't judge

i watched it last night. it was pretty satisfying b movie entertainment, gruesome and gory as fuck and absurdly funny etc. it's pretty much about snakes on a plane and a bunch of bad shit that happens with that combination as you would expect. there are snakes riding drink carts down the aisle and biting people and having fun doing so. poisonous snakes just having a gay ol' time wriggling around and murdering

it reminds me a lot of Tremors.

Word--and good call on the Tremors comparison, too, though I think Tremors still wins.

But yeah, it was fine on some "inhale a joint in the parking lot and watch something stupid and entertaining for 90 minutes" shit. Of course, good camp comes from people trying to make a good movie and failing miserably, so self-awareness can kill camp, and this flick had a bit too much self-awareness, but still, the premise is suitably stupid, the killings are really fresh, and there's plenty of great dumb stuff to enjoy.

• I was kinda into seeing this back when the movie studio was like "Check out this serious action movie about snakes on a plane" and the general public / blogosphere was like "This is the most asinine movie concept ever. Let's make sure everyone knows that."

Fast-forward to about a month ago when the movie studio starts playing the "Hey, check out our most asinine movie concept ever" card. B-movies are funny cause they're not intended to be shitty. To intentionally make a b-movie, or even worse, in this case, re-market your movie at the last minute as a b-movie, is kind of an awkward look.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    To intentionally make a b-movie, or even worse, in this case, re-market your movie at the last minute as a b-movie, is kind of an awkward look.
    ever seen "the room" ?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    To intentionally make a b-movie, or even worse, in this case, re-market your movie at the last minute as a b-movie, is kind of an awkward look.

i hear ya. this movie is definitely self-aware, but tremors is a b-movie on purpose like that too. its like an homage to cult b-movies of the '50s like Them except Snakes has some '70s disaster flick mixed in. so in that regard i think the self-awareness isn't a problem. the title alone Snakes on a Plane reminds me of names like The Day the Earth Stood Still or Attack of the 50foot Woman.

Tremors is better than Snakes though

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Word is this underperformed at the box office.

• Weeeeeee

I was waiting for ur opinion! And since I got a voicemail from Mr. Jackson himself, I now have to see this!

yo dude..did you fuckin' make that? that shit is genius. Where do you get all those crazy moving images anyways? That Primo Aguilera Microwave shit is BUGGED

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    Yeah I enjoyed the film and had been looking forward to it for awhile now. I hear what people are saying about the intentional b movie making so the film did loose a little spontaneity and perhaps charm. I thought the film was funny but actually most of the time for all the right reasons which was not what I was really looking for. The situation didn't get as many laughs as I thought it potentially would from myself. For instance Schwarzenegger films like The Running Man and Commando take themselves actually quite seriously and then because of that it becomes absurd and funny. Maybe this was a little too absurd to begin with so the joke died just a little in translation... but not really it was still good.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Weeeeeee

yo dude..did you fuckin' make that? that shit is genius. Where do you get all those crazy moving images anyways? That Primo Aguilera Microwave shit is BUGGED

HA, I didn't make the Pee Wee one. As far as the "crazy moving images" goes. Most I nic, but I do make a few of them. And I did make the Primo/Aguilera one. I give it up to the Master tho... Dollah_bin!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    "That to me is very scary," herpetological association representative Tom Whiting said. "I would hate to be watching a movie about snakes and have a rattlesnake bite me."

They needed a herpetological association representative[/b] for that special insight??? I'm not even sure what herpetological but it sounds to me like "herpes".

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    They needed a herpetological association representative[/b] for that special insight??? I'm not even sure what herpetological but it sounds to me like "herpes".