I'm about to buy this Rane TTM 57SL...

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
And I'm thinking this is a waste of money if I already have a good mixer. I love the idea of combining as much as possible, but it's hard to justify an almost $1000 difference vs the price of basic scratch live combo. Someone also said it's easier to use when clubs are apprehensive about you changing out mixers etc.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    What do you have now?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    anybody use this case?

What do you have now?

Vestax 07-Pro that's less than a year old. When it starts to wear, I'm gonna mint up to a Rane, but I need to get the dildo ASAP. I can't see any other reason to get the 57SL. I know you can record directly, but I got that covered already with my iriver. Anything else?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    you can do a LOT more with the Rane 57 than with a regular Microwave box. Retrigger cue points and make loops on the fly with buttons on the mixer, scroll, select and load tracks without touching the laptop, filter and echo, etc etc etc. It really depends on what you want to do. I've found that the 57 mixers are little more sensitive than regular Microwave boxes and have to be calibrated (30 secs in the Setup screen) in every new setting, although I have found a sweet spot that pretty much works good wherever. For some reason I think it has to do with the phono signal being louder in the box than it is in the mixer. Not a huge deal and definitely good features outweigh this one issue.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    frank. buy the box, not the mixer. it's much more efficent. those mixers are for peoples studios, and club installations. not really recommended as a portable substitute for the box.

thanks for the details, ayers. all that shit sounds cool. but these days, i'm basically a special events/wedding DJ who doesn't suck (getting too old for clubs). so i think tom's right. i'm good with the box.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    you can do a LOT more with the Rane 57 than with a regular Microwave box. Retrigger cue points and make loops on the fly with buttons on the mixer, scroll, select and load tracks without touching the laptop, filter and echo, etc etc etc. It really depends on what you want to do. I've found that the 57 mixers are little more sensitive than regular Microwave boxes and have to be calibrated (30 secs in the Setup screen) in every new setting, although I have found a sweet spot that pretty much works good wherever. For some reason I think it has to do with the phono signal being louder in the box than it is in the mixer. Not a huge deal and definitely good features outweigh this one issue.

I thought you were all about those pioneer mixers with all the effects and isht?

• i want the 57 just because i'm tired of hooking up all the patch RCA cables from the SL box to my mixer

having everything inside the mixer will save you a little time everytime you setup/tear down...the last few songs you can play off internal mode while you pack up your turntables so when the night is over you are ready to go home

i'm envious of all you "big city" Djays that have turntables/mixer waiting for you at the club. in my city only 1 place has 1200's, but they don't even have a mixer. Every other venue i gotta bring up everything...including a folding table and output cables that can plug into an XLR snake

i want that 57 really bad though
    -the mic switch
    -XLR main outs w/balanced booth outs
    -3 full cut EQs w/switches

it will be mine in 2 months time, it shall be mine

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

I thought you were all about those pioneer mixers with all the effects and isht?

I was until the 57 came out. It has effects too. And the upfaders on my Pioneer keep burning out.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    does the Rane 57 has the 'air-horn' effect ?? Or only the Pioneer has it ?

that shit is mega !

• parenparen 537 Posts

I was until the 57 came out. It has effects too. And the upfaders on my Pioneer keep burning out.

how do the selection of effects compare? i haven't tested the 57, but based on the specs i just can't see making the switch from the 909. i'm using a usb pad based controller to set and trigger cue points on the fly and the 909 effects triggering (and number of effects) is still on point to me even 3 years later. is there something i'm missing?

the airhorn effect, that's 909-only, in bank three just below FADER ROLL. eh...

i want the 57 just because i'm tired of hooking up all the patch RCA cables from the SL box to my mixer

having everything inside the mixer will save you a little time everytime you setup/tear down...the last few songs you can play off internal mode while you pack up your turntables so when the night is over you are ready to go home

i'm envious of all you "big city" Djays that have turntables/mixer waiting for you at the club. in my city only 1 place has 1200's, but they don't even have a mixer. Every other venue i gotta bring up everything...including a folding table and output cables that can plug into an XLR snake

i want that 57 really bad though
    -the mic switch
    -XLR main outs w/balanced booth outs
    -3 full cut EQs w/switches

it will be mine in 2 months time, it shall be mine

Damn. Now you're changing my mind. I think I might take the plunge. I just found one for $1200. I could prolly get $200 for my vestax? Then I'm only out a G. Not bad.

• Damn. Now you're changing my mind. I think I might take the plunge. I just found one for $1200. I could prolly get $200 for my vestax? Then I'm only out a G. Not bad.

for an 07 in good shape you should probably get at least 300

where are you finding the 57 for 1200, the going rate seems to be 1450

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

how do the selection of effects compare? i haven't tested the 57, but based on the specs i just can't see making the switch from the 909. i'm using a usb pad based controller to set and trigger cue points on the fly and the 909 effects triggering (and number of effects) is still on point to me even 3 years later. is there something i'm missing?

the airhorn effect, that's 909-only, in bank three just below FADER ROLL. eh...

the effects don't compare. it's just an echo and a filter. the updated Microwave for the 57 is supposed to have more.

oh yeah I also really like that I can record my sets into the computer live at the club. that's how I got DJ Day's set at The Rub.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    does the Rane 57 has the 'air-horn' effect ?? Or only the Pioneer has it ?

that shit is mega annoying[/b] !