any buzz for the new Roots cd?

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
i think Game Theory comes out next week, but i haven't seen any promos for it. Has Def Jam given up on them already?I downloaded the full album a few weeks ago and wasn't that thrilled with it. There are some quality songs, but it wasn't what i expected for their first def jam release. J Period has a best of the roots mix cd out now which I also found a little disappointing. Although it was put together well, there are WAY too many blends and freestyles for a best of tape. Jazzy Jeff did a quasi best of the roots mixtape when Things Fall Apart Came Out that was . They should have recruited him for this, especially since they are calling it the "official" game theory mix cd.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    i think Game Theory comes out next week, but i haven't seen any promos for it. Has Def Jam given up on them already?

I downloaded the full album a few weeks ago and wasn't that thrilled with it. There are some quality songs, but it wasn't what i expected for their first def jam release. J Period has a best of the roots mix cd out now which I also found a little disappointing. Although it was put together well, there are WAY too many blends and freestyles for a best of tape. Jazzy Jeff did a quasi best of the roots mixtape when Things Fall Apart Came Out that was . They should have recruited him for this, especially since they are calling it the "official" game theory mix cd.

The Roots have made their best record ever ??? but will anyone hear it?[/b]

An interesting article.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i think Game Theory comes out next week, but i haven't seen any promos for it. Has Def Jam given up on them already?

I don't think they gave up so much as they embraced a different philosophy from the get. Heavy advertising in the case of the Roots is pretty much a waste of money--they've got a solid fanbase guaranteed to pick up their album, but virtually no amount of money is going to convert the rest of the record-buying public. Saving advertising dollars = maximizing profit.

• yes, and if the author is correct, i guess that explains the lack of buzz. "don't feel right" is a good enough single that def jam could have put some money into hyping it and the album.

not to sidetrack, but why did the author cite byron crawford's opinion? has it reached the point where bloggers are treated like credible journalists?

also, "Long Time", which is mentioned in the article, is the standout track from this album...by far.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

yes, and if the author is correct, i guess that explains the lack of buzz. "don't feel right" is a good enough single that def jam could have put some money into hyping it and the album.

not to sidetrack, but why did the author cite byron crawford's opinion? has it reached the point where bloggers are treated like credible journalists?

also, "Long Time", which is mentioned in the article, is the standout track from this album...by far.

Citing Byron Crawford didn't make sense to me either and have respect for Neil (the author. He's been writing about Philly rap for over 10 years, so he knows his shit and is a credible journalist. But maybe that's the new level of bloggery.

Hey, they can "break records/make artists," right?

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Long live the City Paper.

It seems like i am always drawn to write ups about their career, maybe because so many artists either just make it or don't. Its interesting to follow their efforts and all of the factors that surround their success that they dont have complete control over.

Comparitively, would you folks consider them a blue collar group in 2006?