another ebay dispute thread

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
so, earlier this month i sold a gaston lp on ebay to some guy in the uk.i always put clearly how much my shipping rates are. outside of the us and canada, i ship for a flat fee of 10 dollars, which is very fair considering i use legit and durable record mailers and always use bubble wrap.he sent 3 us dollars for shipping and 10 dollars under insurance, which he said was an extra 10 dollars for registered mail. i didn't make a fuss, it was a pricey record, though it costs me over 20 bucks to ship it out.about a week and a half later i get a paypal dispute letter asking why he hadn't received it yet. i'm all like, "hold on. this was sent a week ago, but it might not have arrived yet, please be patient."a couple of days later i get an escalation dispute letter from paypal. he is angry that he got a card at his post office saying he would have to pay 40 bucks to receive it, and since he never had this sort of problem before from receiving us goods, he demands a refund.i do not think this is my fault at all. in his initial letter, he never sent a request for low customs declaration. some people do want this and some don't, and to cover myself i put the actual cost of what the record went for.this i see as totally unfair, and goes beyond the anal record collector.also just this past week, i got shafted by what looks like a flakey buyer from italy who had a low amount of feedback (and some negative feedback too) on ebay, as he is no longer a registered user. man...it ;s times like this that i dread dealing with ebay.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i'm hoping this resolves itself. it seems the guy is a little more calmed down. i offered to pay for half the amount of the cost for him to receive the item. though still not my fault, i don't like having a frozen paypal account.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    it looks like it is resolved. guy is nice and calm now.

phew...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    We had a british dude TOTALLY pissed off at us...he wanted insurance beacause it was a $300 dollar record, fine. He then gets totally pissed at us and want a refund because he got a customs charge, he called us "idiots" and everything..."why did you put the amount of $300 on the customs form?" We explained it is a different form when you ship overseas AND insure...they value becomes whatever you insure it for(duh!). He too wanted a refund. I know one shouldnt generalize, but I have had more problems with UK folks when it comes to shipping than any other place. A lot of dudes give me the "it shoulod be no more then such and such..." Well, sport, you got a gatefold LP and with mailer(somehow no one wants to pay for the mailer) it weighs such and such..here is the link for the USPS and you can see an itme costs this much when it weighs sucha nd such" They dont believe it somehow, they think postage from anywhere to to the Uk costs like 2 bucks. I am tempted to just wrap and LP in a grocery sack and ship it surface next time someone hassles me. By the way, for international orders, we charge the actual cost plus $1.50 for the mailer...not unreasonable at all I dont think.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Unfortunately, Paypal disputes seldom end in the seller's favor. Primarily because the buyer who is enough of a prick to file a claim can simply tell their credit card company they don't want to pay. And then the credit card company won't budge, no matter how much Paypal goes to bat for the seller.

• i always thought if you checked the box on the customs form saying it's a gift then the buyer didn't have to pay any taxes? is this true? i've never had this problem myself but i hear about this all the time from others.