Tiger Woods appreciation, is there anyone better?

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,848 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Missed the PGA today for work, but damn. Looks like Tiger destroyed his competition again. Seriously, 12 times he's had a share of the lead in the final round and 12 times he's won. That's super-human.Tiger is most definitely on his way -- and perhaps has already confirmed -- his status as the greatest golfer ever. But I would also have to say that Woods is the most dominant athlete in any sport. Woods is better at golf than, say, MJ was as basketball, than Gretzky was at hockey, etc.Yeah, that's a pretty inflamatory statement because lots of people hold MJ holy, and I know that golf doesn't have the respect or esteem as some professional team sports (also up for debate, really). But if you ever tried to go out and play 18, then you have to respect what this guy is doing. The dude has the power to make his comepitition melt down before him.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Tiger is most definitely on his way -- and perhaps has already confirmed -- his status as the greatest golfer ever. But I would also have to say that Woods is the most dominant athlete in any sport. Woods is better at golf than, say, MJ was as basketball, than Gretzky was at hockey, etc.

This was snap poll on NY1 a couple of days ago. I dont know golf enuff to put his achievements in a proper perspective when measuring him against other athletic giants.

Micheal Jordan/Bill Russell
    Maradona/Pele
    Gretsky/Howe
    Ali/Ali
    Federer/Sampras
    Lance Armstrong

Titles vs Stats vs Cultural impact(in&out).

I had a debate w/ my coworker a couple of years ago. He was sayin that Woods contribution to golf in terms of bringing people to the sport is larger than Jordan's. I wasnt seein that. The golf game has gained a gang of new people trying this sport due to Woods popularity. Golf was virtually dead in the pop landscape, until Woods jump started that shit.
    I dont even want to talk about how cats "Wanna be like Mike", but Magic and Bird already had sown the seed for the NBA's resurgence.

This is a real good arguement.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Woods has made fitness a new thing within golf. Before that dudes were on some tight yellow polo w/ the champange belly.

This tuff.

Kinda like Jimi's Guitar contributions vs Coltrane's horn vs KRSONE lyrics vs Kraftwerk production. I dont know.....blah blah blah.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Ali

Hands-down greatest athlete ever. Dude was larger then life.

• Hard to say. Good argument for Tiger.

Did y'all hear Jack Nicklaus a few weeks ago. Basically said "Man, if I'da knew this cat Tiger would come along, I woulda won more events and Majors". Lame. HATE IT FOR YA GOLDEN BEAR.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Tiger Woods is the greatest golfer to ever play the game. I don't think there will be anyone better than him in the future either.

You can also make a point that HE IS THE GREATEST ATHLETE IN SPORTS HISTORY:

1) Noone has dominated their sport like he has. 12 Majors by age 30, are you freakin' kidding me? For most golfers, one major is a career.

2) Golf requires a greater degree of precision than other sports. Endurance and explosiveness are easier to acquire than hand-eye coordination (the ability to hit a tiny-ass ball onto a green 230yds away within 10ft of the hole).

3) He is a one man revolution in the game of golf. He lifts weights, par 5 eagle opportunites are routine for him, fatigue is not an issue, and his short game is the best in the world. Not to mention, he's Black/Thai.

4) Continuing with #3's theme, he's made golf cool.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,904 Posts
    Hard to say. Good argument for Tiger.

Did y'all hear Jack Nicklaus a few weeks ago. Basically said "Man, if I'da knew this cat Tiger would come along, I woulda won more events and Majors". Lame. HATE IT FOR YA GOLDEN BEAR.

The first time Jack was asked what he thought about Tiger Woods, he replied

"I dunno, I've never played there."

100% TREW. Probably.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts