dead dude's shit stories

high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
There very well may already be a post about estate sales on page 2 of the forum but I'm too lazy to check and damn I'm bored at work today. oh shit whoa boredom.Estates sales always have records. I'm wondering if any of you got any stories about .Seems like most the time the sales will have the same thrift-calibre shit you see everywhere like Englebert, Barbara, Glen, Gino, and the like. But every now and then you can find some shit.Here's my story: Went to one out in a Dallas suburb and when I ventured out into the garage it was storing noting but boxes and boxes and boxes of LPs. Truly awe-inspiring. Spent about 45 min-an hour confirming that it was 100% classical.Here's my other story: Went to one out in a Ft Worth suburb and dude must've been a jazz dancin queen intructor typa guy. He had nothing but Hoctor, Orion, Statler, Choreo, etc records. That was what his collection consisted of. No non-jazz dance instrtuction records to be found. And he had mostly 45s - boxes and boxes of 45s that yeilded all kinds of fun covers of tunes like scorpio, cissy strut, afro strut (not that shitty one with the talking over it), the push n pull, and many others. And that's all I got.Now tell me some shit.

Comments

• junkies tend to have great record collections.

i inhereted my brothers.

sorry to shit on this thread, but thats my perspective on the issue.

i also have no experience with estate sales but I guess they are one of the better sources for finding records these days.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    NRich and I hit an estate sale in the Stop Six section of Fort Worth, the hood. House was typical ranch style in the hood looking, bars on the windows, etc... but when you stepped inside, it was like the set from a Dolemite movie, looked like a hustla's pad from 74...shag carpet, silver/mirrored bar, far out wallpaper, lots of velvet. Anyway, shit tons of 45s..good stuff like Tina Britt, People sides, and things. In the garage was tons of music promo items from the 70s. N*th*n scored a "Trouble Man" Marvin Gaye standie thingy, almost life size...I regret on not picking up the giant Tony Joe White poster. Great Estate sale.

Havent hit any great estate sales in Memphis though yet, some good ones, but not great...there is this old record dealer here that somehow can get wherever you want to be 10 minutes before you...usually when you roll up to the estate sale he is walking out with a box of records. Decide you want to go three hours early and wait outside in the cold for the thing to open? Dude is already on the porch waiting.

One cool thing is that there is an email service run by all the estate sale companies here in town that send out an email listing all the estate sales in the area every weekend with pictures...look at the pictures, "look, records! lets see...thats a "victory at sea" and an Andy Williams grip"...Im sleeping in Saturday.