Don't Believe the Hypebeast

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
"I???ve got mad respect for a brand who can take a found photo from the Internet, throw it in the grinder of Photoshop, splash on some fancy colors, call it retro-inspired streetwear and charge $50 for it. Keep ???em comin??? boys."This site is http://www.dontbelievethehypebeast.com/

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

whatever happened with that bat?

I've only had a little blackbird fly into my apt once. purple shit everywhere.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    ironic coverage of ironic clothing.

file under: too cool for school.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

My thoughts exactly. Still, it's good to see some of this ridiculous shit being called for what it is.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

My thoughts exactly. Still, it's good to see some of this ridiculous shit being called for what it is.

I cry.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Link didn't work. I can only assume it was this?

*edit - Ok, I got it to work. That Ghost shirt is fly REGARDLESS HOLMES

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Link didn't work. I can only assume it was this?

*edit - Ok, I got it to work. That Ghost shirt is fly REGARDLESS HOLMES

Damn, now I can't get your link to work.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Damn, now I can't get your link to work.

IMG SRC="http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2601/2584/1600/iChat Image(lFS).jpg" WIDTH=800>

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    This site is Jesus.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i've had an idea for years to open a clothing store that has one rack with 5 articles of clothes. There would be a wall that stuck out and the clothes would be behind it, so you couldn't even see them if you walked by the storefront. It wouldn't matter what kinda crap it was, I could sell the shit for serious $$$ on the exclusivity alone.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Very true. Thanks for posting this. Been following this streetwear game for a little bit and this helps put things into perspective.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    i've had an idea for years to open a clothing store that has one rack with 5 articles of clothes. There would be a wall that stuck out and the clothes would be behind it, so you couldn't even see them if you walked by the storefront. It wouldn't matter what kinda crap it was, I could sell the shit for serious $$$ on the exclusivity alone.

This would work. Let's contribute ideas to make this store truly successful. I'll start.

??? You could play an invisibly installed 5-hour tape loop of consisting of people faintly moaning and slight floor creaks - each bookended by 11 minutes of dead air - just enough aural white space to achieve maximum freakout / artpose / canyoutopTHIS? ethos. Consumers'd eat that up.

??? Or, put a fake blood packet under your transparent, gauzy shirt and squeeze it out intermittently through a palmed hand pump. This is Next Level Hipster - not even really caring about life itself. And practice your deadpan. No one would call you on it.

??? Charge people a $10 entry fee just for the right to walk into your store. Imagine that. NO one pulls that shit - not even Barney's (because metaphysical tolls don't count).

??? Make up some bullshit Japanese designer and proclaim your store to be the sole U.S. retailer of his Work. Use bright colors, and no one will know the difference. Dudes will say (after a long pause): "Right...I read about this on HypeBeast. Or was it kix-files?"

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

one of the best sites i've seen in recent memory.