Databasing your records and/or playlist

DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Ok...so I've started a big and time-consuming project. I've recently baught shelves and have been organizing my records. While doing that, I've been re-BPM'ing my records and BPM'ing the ones I hadn't before. I'm BPM'ing them all with the same method to assure accuracy. I was wondering if any of you use a database to keep track of your available playlists. What's the best program to use? I'm assuming Microsoft Access? I'd like to be able to search through different fields. For example, here's the fields I was thinking of:+ BPM+ Artist+ Song+ Album/12"+ Year+ Style of Hip Hop (ex: Old School, Party, Underground, Bass Heavy, etc....diff. songs can have more than one style)...also, i'd use seperate databases for my hip hop and funk/soul/jazz stuffI can't think of any other fields. What are other things that may play a part in your playlist selections? Any possibilities?I hope I'm going about this the right way. Currently everything is in txt documents and look like this:A 89.7 MC Soul Strut - Crate Digging [DIG DEEP]where the A signifies that there is an acapella of the track. and the capital letters in brackets shows what album it is on and shows that its NOT a 12" so therefore doesnt have an instrumental either.any suggestions?

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

+ BPM
    + Artist
    + Song
    + Album/12"
    + Year
    + Style of Hip Hop (ex: Old School, Party, Underground, Bass Heavy, etc....diff. songs can have more than one style)...also, i'd use seperate databases for my hip hop and funk/soul/jazz stuff

For hip-hop, just put it under "Hip-hop". No need to be stupid with it.

• + BPM
    + Artist
    + Song
    + Album/12"
    + Year
    + Style of Hip Hop (ex: Old School, Party, Underground, Bass Heavy, etc....diff. songs can have more than one style)...also, i'd use seperate databases for my hip hop and funk/soul/jazz stuff

For hip-hop, just put it under "Hip-hop". No need to be stupid with it.

doesn't hurt to label it. if i can search through the seperate fields in the database and i'm doing an old school set, i can just type in "old school" in the search for the "style" field and find all my old school songs. rather than looking for particular artist and song names, or even years.

and this is for the database. my PHYSICAL shelving is simply "hip hop" and is filed alphabetically. and my other shelving is a mixture of everything not hip hop, as I'm primarily a hip hop DJ.