mexican fishermen lost at sea for 9 months

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
read thisthis is quite nutty to me. How would we cope if we were in their shoes? I can see quite a few folks here crumbling.Imagine listening to each of us talk about soundscan #'s for 9 months? Wouldn't that drive you up the wall? hah!

Comments

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

literraly

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    wow, that is insane

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    "We ate raw sea gulls"

Amazing story thanks for sharing!

• Raw sea gulls? Suffice it to say I've never known hunger like that.

• 15 days without eating... and reading the bible to eachother to get by.

i really hope none of them came home only to find that their girlfriends/wives were sleeping with their best friends or whatever after thinking they were dead... or something sad to that extent. kinda like that castaway movie (which would have been an OK film had they not turned it into a fucking FEDEX commercial).

i bet not much can phase you in life after being that close to death for so long... i bet they never wanna eat fish again though... i know i wouldn't.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    "it rained nearly every day"

Also how did they not get scurvy or other diseases related to lack of vitamins. I tip my hat to those dudes, real human spirit!

• crazy indeed!

reminds me of that story about this guy who went hiking in the Canyons or something. He slipped into this fissure and got his arm stuck under a rock. After a few days he ran out of drinking water and realized he was going to die if he didn't do anything. So he decided to cut off his own arm with a swiss pocket knife he had on him. He had to walk several kilometres before he got rescued..
    talking about mental stamina!!

Its insane indeed to think about what we would do in a such a situation.
    There's only two categories of people when it comes down to a crisis like this. Those that are able to cope with the stress and fear and manage to plan their actions in a very rational way and those that are immobilized by fear, go insane and eventually die.. You can't know for sure what group you belong to untill you encounter a situation like this..

(btw theres a book by Yann Martel called 'The life of Pi' about a boy who gets stuck on a lifeboat with a hyena, a tiger and a zebra with a broken leg after a shipwreck. Fictionous of course, but a fun and relaxing read)

• (btw theres a book by Yann Martel called 'The life of Pi' about a boy who gets stuck on a lifeboat with a hyena, a tiger and a zebra with a broken leg after a shipwreck. Fictionous of course, but a fun and relaxing read)

Jeunet is going to direct a film version of this... director of delicatessin and city of lost children. May be

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    m night shyamalan is on that books dick too i believe, stealing some ideas maybe? i dont know a friend of mine was telling me about it

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    gwoah.

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    it sounds like the boat that found them is still going to make it's routine fishing rounds for another 2 weeks. i guess that's the kind of respect you get when you're found lost at sea and don't have a history of turning into a lovable 30-something overnight on account of a misfortunate carnival incident.

...b/w headline hilarity found on some page...

"Internet giant searches for hidden gold in garden of Nazi e-mail pest "