alfonso ribero's break dancing matt

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Does anyone here remember a commercial in the 80's where Alfonso Ribero had his own break dancing matt for sale? You could call an 800 number and order it! Well not only do I want one, but i want the commercial too! If anyone has it on vhs or even dvd. Let me know. Also, the Kool Aid commercial where he had the fat gold chain on. I have the flinestones one where they are deejaying and rapping. How about when raisin bran had hip hop clothes on the back. That shit was comedy.

Comments

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    So was this dude once a b-boy ?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

B-BOY! SHIIIIIEEEEEEET! He's gone on to make some bangers for Jay-Z, Beanie Segal, and Common!

I'm afraid I'm gonna need to see some visual evidence of that dude poppin and lockin.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

B-BOY! SHIIIIIEEEEEEET! He's gone on to make some bangers for Jay-Z, Beanie Segal, and Common!

Good one, Young Phonics!

Yeah, dude started out doing all that break dance pop lock shit. He also was a little Michael Jackson impersonator. Remember he did a Pepsi commercial as a kid, with a jheri curl and everything, doing all of MJ's signature moves?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    He was also a regular on SILVER SPOONS, and more than once he got an ample opportunity to show off his pop 'n' lock skills. I knew him from THAT long before he was on FRESH PRINCE. When he turned up on the latter show, I remember thinking: "okay, the Tap Dance Kid from SILVER SPOONS is making a comeback now..."

Yeah, he broke off some MJ moves on the fresh prince of belair once when he did a strip routine infront of his mom.

Was he in any b-boy crews?

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    Does anyone here remember a commercial in the 80's where Alfonso Ribero had his own break dancing matt for sale? You could call an 800 number and order it! Well not only do I want one, but i want the commercial too! If anyone has it on vhs or even dvd. Let me know. Also, the Kool Aid commercial where he had the fat gold chain on. I have the flinestones one where they are deejaying and rapping. How about when raisin bran had hip hop clothes on the back. That shit was comedy.

Actually, if I remember correctly they were selling a breakdancing instructional video or something, and the break mat was an extra added bonus! Ahh, the good old days. I have a couple books on breakdancing I bought at my grade school bookfair back in the mid-80's when breakdancing blew up. I should scan in some of the pics just for shits and giggles.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Yeah, he sold bboying out at the peak of it's popularity. was'nt he injured doing headspins? i remember a rumor about that.

Has anyone got any visual evidence of Alfonso busting a def mill or anything?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    busting a def mill

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Yeah, he sold bboying out at the peak of it's popularity. was'nt he injured doing headspins? i remember a rumor about that.

i think the rumor used to be that he broke his neck doing a headspin. i don't think he got injured at all though.

although this rumor made my breakdancing group in the 4th grade take the political stance that we were against headspins.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    this rumor made my breakdancing group in the 4th grade take the political stance that we were against headspins.

a def mill

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Does anyone here remember a commercial in the 80's where Alfonso Ribero had his own break dancing matt for sale?

"It's the safe way to break and pop!"[/b]

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i had the alfonso ribero matt - when i was about 8 i ordered it C.O.D. over the phone and my parents reluctantly paid for it when it came to our house. if i remember, all you got was a checkered cardboard breakdancing mat and 2 bootleg cassette tapes with some early 80s hip hop songs (white lines, jam on it, etc.). it might have come with a vhs tape, if so, it didnt help me much.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    i had the alfonso ribero matt - when i was about 8 i ordered it C.O.D. over the phone and my parents reluctantly paid for it when it came to our house. if i remember, all you got was a checkered cardboard breakdancing mat and 2 bootleg cassette tapes with some early 80s hip hop songs (white lines, jam on it, etc.). it might have come with a vhs tape, if so, it didnt help me much.

so where's it at?

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Anyone remember the Vans breakdancing shoes? they looked like wrestling boots with wings on them!