OMFG! That was scary (Fire + Record Related)

DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I'm still shaking...I came home from work early cuz I have to head to SF for a conference in 30 minutes and what do I see when I pull up? Fire trucks and smoke coming from my next door neighbors back yard!!Needless to say, I made a B-line upstairs to my room to start grabbing crates before I even asked what was going on. I got all my "priority 1" crates downstairs before I found out what happened. There was a small brush fire in the woods that separate my house from the one next door. Luckily the FD put it out before it spread into my yard. They say it's safe.I gotta buy one of those fire safes!!!!

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Fuck filing records in alphabetical order. I'm gonna do it in fire priority order from now on.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Fuck filing records in alphabetical order. I'm gonna do it in fire priority order from now on.

this begs the mind game: imagine if all your records were gone except for... the "N"s. or the "R"s. whats the "best" letter you got???

fires, floods, animals, molds..... ENTROPY: the patient enemy of your stuff!!!

fire safes are big $. but really, investing in a $500+ safe is like buying 5 real good records to protect several hundered of them...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    real ballaz have a fireproof wine storage for their records

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    aren't those fire safes only good for like a half hour or something like that?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    aren't those fire safes only good for like a half hour or something like that?

And wouldn't it still get hot enough inside one of them to melt your vinyl?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    yeah i was thinking that too...they're meant to save jewelry and shit like that i think...

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    the pictured one claims to be a 2 hour fire safe, which likely means LPs ok for like, 20 minutes before interior temp gets bad... (but many fire safes are only rated for 30 min, which i would think means LPs would last about 2 minutes)...
    i guess the idea is, if you do have a fire, you know that the most valuable stuff at least has a chance, if they/you can get to the safe in a reasonable time.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    insurance. danno can provide knowledge on this tip.