What ever happened to Select Records?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
This was a really hot label - what ever happened?They had some joints from U.T.F.O. to Chubb Rock to Kid N' Play, AMG and the Jerky Boys. What am I missing? for awhile they were becoming a chubb Rock label (A.Teem, Red Hot Lover Tone, etc.) then nothing?Sorry 80's babies...

Comments

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Select was a good label. There are some slept on releases from select that should get more love - ESP, Positively Black, Chosen Ones, Seeborn & Puma, The BTX. Lots of DJ IVORY RANDOM RAP FAST RAP EDAN kind of material.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Positively Black

Cool album.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    this one is pretty good too:

in the positive K, Dres, puba-mold.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    For a while (around 94) they had a sub label, Select Street for some more hardcore acts like COD or Black Maddness. They had a lot of dope artists, but damn, they should have hired a better publicist, because i swear i saw more reviews of Fondle'em records than Select !

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    Seeborn & Puma

"They Call Me Puma" has my vote for the #1, all-time least necessary acappella ever.
    Beat was bananas though.

Re: Select, I went to high school with Poke (Trackmasters) and my best friend is still in touch with him on a regular basis so I'll have him grill him about the label's demise, etc.
    I know that he got his start as Chubb Rock's DJ and I'm pretty sure that he got his first production credits at Select (btw, Red Hot Lover Tone = Tone from Tone n' Poke).
    But last time I tried to bring up the subject he seemed to not want to talk about it.
    Especially when I brought up Chubb Rock.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    MOP folls!
    + Main One (some tracks were decent)
    and the above. I've seen a Select Records release in my local spot dated from 2000 or beyond, so they were around then. Don't know about now though.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I wish I had enough money to buy their masters so I could do some proper reissues.

Of course, this may be fodder for someone else to do the same and if so, get to it.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Re: Select, I went to high school with Poke (Trackmasters) and my best friend is still in touch with him on a regular basis so I'll have him grill him about the label's demise, etc.
    I know that he got his start as Chubb Rock's DJ and I'm pretty sure that he got his first production credits at Select (btw, Red Hot Lover Tone = Tone from Tone n' Poke).
    But last time I tried to bring up the subject he seemed to not want to talk about it.
    Especially when I brought up Chubb Rock.

Maybe because Chubb Rock made shady moves beside dope music.

Read what Prince Paul said in diffrent interviews:

FROM rapnetworks.com

Funny question. We know Chubb Rock owes you some money. Did Chubbs ever pay up?

[Laughter throughout] Oh, of course not! He???s avoided me. Man ??? I???m all of 5???9???, a hundred and fifty pounds, and he???s what ??? 6???3???, maybe three hundred pounds. And he???s avoided me! Man, look! That cat, he owes a lot of people money. And we???re all looking for him. There???s a union of people who he owes money, looking to get at least something back. Yo, you know what I???m putting out? Anybody who gets my money from Chubb Rock, I???ll give ???em half of what he owes me! He owes me $2200. You get my money, I give you $1100!

That???s a used Geo right there. That???s not bad at all.

[Laughter] Something???s better than nothing. And I???m not talking about violence. Cause if y???all might see him before I see him. If you could politely get my money back.

FROM Tribes
    Prince Paul is telling for what Chubb owes him money:

MVRemix: You've probably addressed this a million times, but Chubb Rock? Money owing, is that still an issue? What happened there?

Prince Paul: Yeah Chubb Rock skipped town on me. I don't know where he's at. He owes me money. I told everybody, anybody that can get him to come by my house and get me the money, I'll split it with 'em. That's a cool grand and some change in your pocket, if anybody can do it. Easy money, well not that easy. Bottom line I got scammed man. I thought he was a friend... He came over, said he had this deal for me for a camera but he needs the money right now. I thought, "Oh, it's Chubb Rock!" So I gave him the money and that was it. I found out he scammed a bunch of my other friends and a whole bunch of other people with the same thing. It necessarily wasn't a camera, but it was other items. "Yo, gimme the money right now I'll getcha this!" Then he skips town. So I got got. That's why I made that record, so anytime he made a statement, that would come up. Put his name in a computer, "Prince Paul, pay Prince Paul his money." For life! Until he pays me my money back... I'll gladly make a record "Thank You Chubb Rock For Paying My Money, You're A Nice Guy." But I've yet to make that record because he has yet to pay me.

From Urban Smarts

Yeah. And I mean, Chubb Rock in my book is rather underrated and the stuff on Select that he had his fingers in is usually a save bet.
    Chubb Rock to me was always dope. It's a shame that he owes me money.
    [laughs] Yes, that's that song on the "Politics Of Business" album, right?
    Yeah, yeah, he owes me cash.
    Oh, so that wasn't even a joke?
    Oh no, it's true. And he's been dodging me since then. He owes me that money man and he's just been like disappeared.
    And now considering this skit and that he might have had something to do with it, he even owes you more money.
    [laughs] Yeah he should. Oh, I'ma just start adding it up. Now, I can buy a house off of this.
    Or forget to do the plumbing yourself.
    Yeah man. But it's a shame though. I just want everybody out there to be careful. That's all I have to say. "Protect Your Neck" as Wu-Tang says.
    Don't believe everything people tell you. Even if you feel like they are somewhat respectable. Always question it. And always back yourself up with a written agreement, which I didn't do stupidly. And I handed over cash for something he said he'd give me. And he got a lot of my friends like that: Harry Allen, Wes Jackson, and I could go on.
    And I could go for the cheapshot now: if he's on the run, he might have finally lost some weight.
    [laughs]. Well, yeah hopefully. And that'll keep him alive long enough for me to get my money.

This seem to be a honest friend and buisnessman.

Is Chubb on myspace ???

Peace
    Hawkeye

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Is Chubb on myspace ???

Oh yes, Chubb Rock is on myspace !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chubb Rock on myspace

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Is Chubb on myspace ???

Oh yes, Chubb Rock is on myspace !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chubb Rock on myspace

hahahahhhahahhahahhaahhahahahahahahahha