Chili Dog World Series! Pinks vs Tommy's...

IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
All Right I've been seeing Food Network rave about Pinks in Hollywood, and I talked to a Chili Dog Freak and he told me Pinks was over rated and that Tommy Burgers Chili Dog would burn Pinks... So what are your thoughts who's got the better Chili Dog out there, in Cali or anywhere??? Can I get a Pretzel Bun Chili Dog too...

Comments

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Pinks is most definately over-rated... I like Tommy's. Favorite is Tony Packo's in Toledo, Ohio though... completely different style though and good as hell.

• i never been to pinks. i heard carney's gives them a run for their money but i never been there either.

tommy's is the hommie. my mom once found a band-aid in her tommy's burger way back in the day.

• Best chilli dogs are the cheese coneys at Skyline in Cincinnati.

• also...dont front

actually, its pretty nasty.

btw, matt, i have now eaten at every dumpy joint on the block. except the cuban spot. cheesesteak RIP[?]

• montymonty 420 Posts

Pink's got the star photos - Tommy's got the soul

• Here is my sentimental favorite in Gardena, I used to go here with my dad when I was a kid, a couple of blocks away from his uncles house, off the 405, on Western. Went back there a couple times after my dad's uncle passed, still good but don't know how it would stand today.

• also...dont front

actually, its pretty nasty.

btw, matt, i have now eaten at every dumpy joint on the block. except the cuban spot. cheesesteak RIP[?]

I ate there when they had a "C" and erled for days after.

• I ate there when they had a "C" and erled for days after.

oh man! i got a email coupon from a friend for oki-dogg that said something like Mention our C-Rating, get 50 cents off towards your next purchase

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

I ate there when they had a "C" and erled for days after.

oh man! i got a email coupon from a friend for oki-dogg that said something like Mention our C-Rating, get 50 cents off towards your next purchase

Oh man tht place is the worst... The only thing its good for is cleaning out the system, but even then you go through hell when there are much better and probably safer ways.

Shig I think the steak sandwich place closed on the corner... sucks. Cuban spot is the whip though.

• these dudes talk too much. but there's some photos and a link to a doctored hawaiian news article on how to make a oki-dogg. them mokes make it wrong doe.

oops, i meant these dudes.

http://hotdogspot.com/2004/07/oki-dog-weirdest-dogs-in-town.html

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    these dudes talk too much. but there's some photos and a link to a doctored hawaiian news article on how to make a oki-dogg. them mokes make it wrong doe.

oops, i meant these dudes.

http://hotdogspot.com/2004/07/oki-dog-weirdest-dogs-in-town.html

Shig thanks for sharing I hope to peep that spot out! That Chili Dog Burrito looks sooooo GOOD!!! I've been tryin to find a good chili dog burrito since Little Juan got rid of the Frozen ones at the local comisary.... I'm gonna make sure to bring the Malox as well....

• good luck with that ironfeet!

they taste even better when youre really really really really drunk!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Tommy's on Pico and Sawtelle is better than Tommy Burgers. Damnit, i'm hungry.

• Tommy's on Pico and Sawtelle is better than Tommy Burgers. Damnit, i'm hungry.

is this the one across the street from best buy? i would have to agree with you, but both will kill you just the same.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

first hotdog I've had in a good 10 yrs, thanks to crif dogs & d#mien....

I would not mess w/ an oki-dog if my life depended on it....

• and in keeping it RECORD RELATED record surplus is just up the street there. i hope i didnt blow up anyone's secret squirrel...

• this was in LA?

in keeping with disgusting weiners smothered in turn sauce, did you happen to try tommy's, aser? their chili is the consistency of baby barf with the flavor of sweaty armpit. quite refreshing!

best hot dog i had was part of a hawaiian plate lunch at this samoan senior center in carson/gardena. they had them pink hawaiian weiners if you know what i mean.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    nope, Crif Dogs is in nyc, east village to be exact.

I stayed w/ my friend who lived a few blocks from oki, I shuddered in fear every time we drove by.

I don't think I can handle the whole weight that is tommy's.

• yeah, i dont quite get the hype of hot dogs. prolly cuz im from here. but yeah, i hear you on the oki-dogg, dogg. they are a marvel to look at though. i seen a short film on oki-dogg that was mezmerizing. they went into the whole "figure 8" thing on that blog i posted.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    toronto has these draconian health codes for street food. It basically eliminates any options other than hot dog stands, since they're the only stands that can meet the strict codes.

for the uninitiated, this is why oki dog gives me nightmares....

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    i heard carney's gives them runs for their money

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    All Right I've been seeing Food Network rave about Pinks in Hollywood, and I talked to a Chili Dog Freak and he told me Pinks was over rated and that Tommy Burgers Chili Dog would burn Pinks... So what are your thoughts who's got the better Chili Dog out there, in Cali or anywhere??? Can I get a Pretzel Bun Chili Dog too...

holler if you are down to go on a chili dog binge at the tommy's that opened in Kearny Mesa, dig?

holla

• i prefer pinks to tommys. they are very close in taste. tommys dog is about 1/3 larger. but i like the pinks taste just a little bit more.
    this place is my fav and will annialate pinks and tommys:

peace, stein. . .

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    i heard carney's gives them runs for their money

Carney's makes a really good chili burger. I've only had their hot dogs a couple times because I can't stay away from those burgers. The times that I did have a chili dog there, it was after already having a chili burger. Anyway, Pink's is bound to be over-rated to some, but it's an institution to many Angelinos (though 10 years in LA never really converted me -- but I didn't grow up there).

I'm pround to say that I did get to Packo's on my short visit to Ohio a couple years back. It was good. But I think what really makes a chili dog sublime is having a specific craving for it beforehand. It's pretty simple stuff in its very nature, so perhaps it's difficult for one good chili dog to differentiate itself from another.

It's definitely fun to try to find the best one though, don't get me wrong.