feels like the first time, reflections 1960-61

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I just recently had my third "feels like the first time" moment in regards to jazz.The back story...the first Jazz album that blew me away, made me hear music differently and made me a jazz fan was Art Blakey's "a Night in Tunisia"...you know, that feeling you are hearing something for the first time and it speaks to you, makes you go "oh , shit" and gives you that feeling that is hard to aritculate but I am sure all of you reading this can understand...an epiphany. That was in 1989, when I was 18. Fast forward to 1998, my buddy rockbert and I return from a digging excursion and we are rolling joints and checking out our finds, he cracks the seal on an LP called "The Quest" by Mal Waldron/Eric Dolphy...Eric we knew and liked, but this particular record was unknown to us, he puts it on...holy shit, there is that feeling again...good god this is music I need to hear. Fast forward to yesterday, I crack the seal on "The Straight Horn of Steve Lacy"....20 seconds into the first track I get that feeling I havent felt in years, this music does it to me again....I wish every record I heard did this to me, I cant really explain it, but I suppose it is the "high" you are looking for when you dig for music. Also, it occurs to me that this feeling only occurs to me with jazz records recorded during the span of years 60 to 61....those must be the magic years for me for some reason...I wish I were alive then and able to go see this music...damn.

Comments

• montymonty 420 Posts
    ...years 60 to 61....those must be the magic years for me for some reason...I wish I were alive then and able to go see this music...damn.
    i was 20 to 21 then, and yes those were magic years, socially and musically, a lot of things were different then.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    ...years 60 to 61....those must be the magic years for me for some reason...I wish I were alive then and able to go see this music...damn.
    i was 20 to 21 then, and yes those were magic years, socially and musically, a lot of things were different then.

Please speak on this.

i would love on that time period.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    hmmmmm... 60-61 - married my first wife, toured the chitlin circuit with Red Prysock, (4 horns, bass, drums, me on vibes), gigs with Red Foxx, Ben E. King, Arthur Prysock, Etta James, et al..., and an assortment of revolutions and wars were going on... an exciting time, nothing like now.

in jazz, the attitude was "every note could be your last," and it had to be unique in some way, advancing the art.