Getting Stuff on the Airplane

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
i'm flying out to Reno tomorrow, and I was wondering what peoples experiences have been like as of late. Espec after last weeks episode. I havent flown since before 9/11 so im a little nervous. I was gonna bring my lap top and harddrive outt to entertain the fam, but if i cant get those on as a carry-on, than forget it. Now im worried about just getting my ipod on so i can listen to some music on the flight!! Anybody have some experiences to share?i'm heading to work right now.

Comments

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    i'm flying out to Reno tomorrow, and I was wondering what peoples experiences have been like as of late. Espec after last weeks episode.
    I havent flown since before 9/11 so im a little nervous.
    I was gonna bring my lap top and harddrive outt to entertain the fam, but if i cant get those on as a carry-on, than forget it. Now im worried about just getting my ipod on so i can listen to some music on the flight!! Anybody have some experiences to share?
    i'm heading to work right now.

if you check the website of the airline you're flying they should specify exactly what you can't bring on. i think for domestic flights in the u.s. the only new restriction is on liquids/gels/etc. i think the ipods and laptops are still fine, unless traveling in or to the uk.

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    I flew last Friday
    My MP3 player was allowed on, and the dude who sat beside me had a laptop, so it's not out of the question. I would try to find out ahead of time though - I was flying out from the middle of nowhere, so security might have been a little lax.
    I bought a bottle of water in Toronto, but they wouldn't give me the bottle. They filled up a cup and gave that to me and made me drink what was left in the bottle right there. That was really the only thing out of the ordinary... but all I had on my carry on was my MP3 player, a bunch of records, and some dirty clothes (I need to buy a record bag).

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

oh yeah, since it's been that long since you've flown, you should know that you only get food on the plane if you buy it now. none of that shit is free any more.

• You will be fine in the states as long as you don't try to bring liquids or gels on, including chap stick, hair gel, lipstick, stuff like that.

I just got back from Edinburgh late yesterday, and Heathrow was still a horror scene. By far the worst flying experience I've seen, outside of when the hurricanes came through here last year and the ceiling came down in orlando airport, closing an entire wing.

Here's a rant I wrote to my folks:

Heathrow was indeed a nightmare. The biggest problem was a lack of information. We had no idea where to go or really what the score was, despite having researched beforehand online & in the news. Lot of staff around, but nobody knew what was going on. Security closed down the passageways between terminals post-security check, so we had to re-check after coming in from Edinburgh. It took around 2 1/2 hours, and we got bumped up in line.

Security measures were draconian.... If you can imagine the situation with every connecting passenger going through Heathrow having to go through security again, and they were doing double and triple security with additional frisking and hand checks. We were frisked and scanned at least 4 times between Edinburgh and Heathrow and had to carry ONLY passport and wallet/keys around in a clear baggie. Nothing was allowed except for passport, wallet/keys, tissues and tampons. No bag, no water, no nothing.

One woman was refused entry to our Miami because her billfold wallet was too large! I'm not sure if they forced her to leave it behind. Completely absurd. We couldn't even bring a book or basically anything except passport & wallet. Rebecca had to leave her nasal spray and losenges (since they're non-prescription, so prohibited) and each checkpoint took a few more pills away, until finally at Heathrow they took away the pillbox, too. A little 1.5" clear plastic box.

Thankfully they let Rebecca keep her inhaler, because she had a minor asthma attack when we had to run to catch our miami flight. Our plane to Miami left hours late, and we just caught it. Of course we missed our miami to orlando flight but that was less of a problem. Ended up getting a 9:35PM flight instead of 3:00-something. US security was much less ridiculous. We were lucky since there were a large # of cancellations. The lack of information really added to the level of public concern, and for measures designed to reduce terror, from what we saw, increased it. If the UK is going to keep up with these measures, they need to get their act together.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

oh yeah, since it's been that long since you've flown, you should know that you only get food on the plane if you buy it now. none of that shit is free any more.

The New New Marketing: taking full advantage of The Situation with the invention and use of the "Terror Excuse."

• dayday 9,611 Posts

You know, I thought so too, but I flew on Continental and they gave me a (shitty, microwaved, hard as concrete) chicken sandwich and a salad for free. Maybe it was a fluke.

I'm glad I came back when I did. I think you'll be good as long as you're not bringing any liquids in your carry on, but I would call the airline just to be sure.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    i have to fly from the uk to prague on thursday and i will have records with me. looks like they will have to be checked, i do not want to do this :-[