Mcdonald Giles...what else?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
anybody got some (non king crimson-related..i probably know them already) albums similar to this one i should check out? this is definitely one of my favorites out there and one of the few i can listen to start to finish.

Comments

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    agreed.

even though these are completely different than the g+m, these popped into my head:

gong - angel's egg

rascals - peaceful world

will think of more.

listening to king crimson - i talk to the wind right now. how incredible is this song?

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    okay enough talk about this already! someone donate me the mcdee & giles. still havent found myself a copy for some reason, and im totally bankrupt right now. bought a tape-echo the other day.

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts

i'll trade you one for the tape echo.

the giles and macdonald has been a long time favourite but i never realised that they were from king crimson until somewhat recently. i though kc were just another pompous prog-rock band and for some unknown reason never really checked them out. i've only got the first album and the one with cadence and cascadence (such a hot track). what else is good by them?
    or what other side projects are there to check?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    you need to get this'n

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    although you specifically asked for nothing crimson related, may I suggest this..perhaps you dont know this one...maybe you do, who knows? some enjoyable moments..but it is REALLY FUCKIN BRITISH, if you know what I mean..

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    you need to get this'n

then get this...IMO better then the 1st, mostly because of the track "Happy Being Me".

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I'd recommend Made in Swedens album "Made in England", and not just beacause I'm from Sweden myself. Like the Mcdonald & Giles album, it's solid from start to finish (unlike "With Love", for instance).

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Cosign on the Manfred Mann lp's.

Ako, do you have The McCoys "infinite"? Cool lil album.

• agreed.

gong - angel's egg

how's this? just got put up on shamal.

not to get into the crazy classification systems, but this kind of sound is wierd. really digging macdonald and giles s/t. drum laden, not quite psych, kind of classic rocky, funky flute breakdowns. killer stuff.