What hip-hop decade baby are you?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Hsulu Nation hepped me to this. CLASSIC.http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=3766by SickamorePeople always ask me to define ???80???s Baby???. What does that mean? Do you have to be born in the 80???s? To answer your questions, 80???s Baby is more of a mentality. A slightly fucked up-cutthroat-entrepreneur-ish fuck you old school niggas y???all stuck in the 80???s mentality. Therefore I???ll give you 80 examples of what the non-80???s Baby would do. Here???s the first twenty:1) You brag about not liking a rap album in years2) You know who Jarobi is3) You don???t understand why Young Jeezy is popular4) You know who Gail King is5) You don???t have a myspace page6) You have a myspace page but with no picture. It makes you look like a child molester7) You own a Roots album8) But you don???t own a Gangsta Grillz9) You cant appreciate Diplomatic Immunity for the Opus of ignorance that is was10) You shave your own hair and don???t go to the barber11) You religiously follow YN???s Break-A-Day12) You say things like ???Record Sales Don???t Matter!!!???. Loser13) Getting tickets to that Tribe comeback tour?14) You get mad when people say Lil??? Wayne is top 5 right now15) You don???t ???own???, ???run??? or not the ???CEO??? of a small side hustle company16) You don???t have a blackberry, sidekick, gmail or any other form of communication besides your cell phone17) You DJ but won???t give up your vinyl for Serato18) You???re favorite rap album came from the Native Tounges camp19) You mastered Reganomics20) You saw New Jack City in the movies

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I'm a non 80's baby but I only got 10 out of 20 of these. Funny schitt anyway.

• 10) You shave your own hair and don???t go to the barber

that's the only one I'm missing.

p.s. If you read sickamores blog. He's everything that's wrong with hip hop to me. Yes Anyways. That's my rant. Dude's a herb.

p.p.s O Dub where's your blog on xxl??? Can we get rid of DJ Drama please?

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    1) You brag about not liking a rap album in years - Trap Muzic![/b]

2) You know who Jarobi is - A.E.I.O.U and sometimes Y [/b]

3) You don???t understand why Young Jeezy is popular - [/b]

4) You know who Gail King is - I had to google the name and I'm still don't know who she is.[/b]

5) You don???t have a myspace page - I have one [/b]

6) You have a myspace page but with no picture. It makes you look like a child molester - No pic [/b]

7) You own a Roots album - I have a Roots album that a college girlfriend made me buy. I don't remember which one. Its on CD.[/b]

8) But you don???t own a Gangsta Grillz - No.[/b]

9) You cant appreciate Diplomatic Immunity for the Opus of ignorance that is was -Diplomatic Immunity is dope, but I'm kinda over it.[/b]

10) You shave your own hair and don???t go to the barber - Yep[/b]

11) You religiously follow YN???s Break-A-Day - No[/b]

12) You say things like ???Record Sales Don???t Matter!!!???. Loser - That's on some Faux Rillz ish. Not interesting to me.[/b]

13) Getting tickets to that Tribe comeback tour? - No.[/b]

14) You get mad when people say Lil??? Wayne is top 5 right now - No. Lil' Wayne is cool.[/b]

15) You don???t ???own???, ???run??? or not the ???CEO??? of a small side hustle company - ????[/b]

16) You don???t have a blackberry, sidekick, gmail or any other form of communication besides your cell phone - I have a cell. Wouldn't have it if work didn't pay for it.[/b]

17) You DJ but won???t give up your vinyl for Serato - I don't dj & I don't hate serato.[/b]

18) You???re favorite rap album came from the Native Tounges camp - Maybe. There's too many good lps out there[/b]

19) You mastered Reganomics - No[/b]

20) You saw New Jack City in the movies - Yes.[/b]

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    1) You brag about not liking a rap album in years not at all- there's been quite a few real schitts which have dropped out of rap's collective arse in recent years[/b]

2) You know who Jarobi is YES- I still just don't know what his purpose is[/b]

3) You don???t understand why Young Jeezy is popular Not really... I kinda do see where the appeal comes from, but I guess I really don't understand it[/b]

4) You know who Gail King is Who? [/b]

5) You don???t have a myspace page I have three [/b]

6) You have a myspace page but with no picture. It makes you look like a child molester I have more pics than the average youngin on my Myspace pages [/b]

7) You own a Roots album Yes (although I did just put all that schitt on Ebay)[/b]

8) But you don???t own a Gangsta Grillz Who? [/b]

9) You cant appreciate Diplomatic Immunity for the Opus of ignorance that is was No I can't (although I probably never listened to it enough to give it a chance)[/b]

10) You shave your own hair and don???t go to the barber I do shave my own head and I hate barbers. Not the barbers themselves but sitting there waiting to get my head cut. The one reason I'm glad about my male pattern baldness is that I don't have to wait in a barbershop for hours to get shaped up anymore[/b]

11) You religiously follow YN???s Break-A-Day what the fuck is that? [/b]

12) You say things like ???Record Sales Don???t Matter!!!???. Loser Record sales matter from a dollars and cents perspective but they in no way have anything to do with how "good" an artist or their music is, obviously. Or else you could never have one of these GOAT conversations without mentioning Hammer and Vanilla Ice, right? Stupid[/b]

13) Getting tickets to that Tribe comeback tour? No. I wish them well, though[/b]

14) You get mad when people say Lil??? Wayne is top 5 right now I think it's a ridiculous thing, but I'm certainly not mad about it[/b]

15) You don???t ???own???, ???run??? or not the ???CEO??? of a small side hustle company I own and run and am the CEO of various side hustles, most of which are profitable (especially all them bitches I be pimpin)[/b]

16) You don???t have a blackberry, sidekick, gmail or any other form of communication besides your cell phone Nope. If I didn't have kids I wouldn't have the cell either. WAIT- actually I do have a beeper! Does that count?[/b]

17) You DJ but won???t give up your vinyl for Serato I don't dj but if I did I don't think I'd have a prob with Serato at this point. Records is heavy.[/b]

18) You???re favorite rap album came from the Native Tounges camp Nope. Of course I love most of that NT schitt though[/b]

19) You mastered Reganomics Huhhh???[/b]

20) You saw New Jack City in the movies Yep. Ain't nuthin' like seein' Pookey on the big screen. [/b]

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    twelve times yes.

• 4) You know who Gail King is - I had to google the name and I'm still don't know who she is.[/b]

There was a Gail 'Sky' King who did some remix work back in the day, I believe she was a NY radio DJ.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Hello, it is raining today in Paris.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i can't tell if i am an 80's baby or not. i wasn't born in the 80's but i've been down with hip hop since 83, so what does that make me?

true.

1) You brag about not liking a rap album in years:
    i still like rap albums as much as ever. there were lots of cuts on old school albums that sucked too.
    2) You know who Jarobi is:
    he makes love to his phone like fife on the mic.
    3) You don???t understand why Young Jeezy is popular:
    yeah, i don't understand that shit.
    4) You know who Gail King is:
    yes i do.
    5) You don???t have a myspace page:
    i have 2
    6) You have a myspace page but with no picture. It makes you look like a child molester:
    i have plenty of pictures, but yes they all make me look like a child molester.
    7) You own a Roots album:
    a few, yes.
    8) But you don???t own a Gangsta Grillz
    you're right.
    9) You cant appreciate Diplomatic Immunity for the Opus of ignorance that is was:
    i'm not smart enough to accept or deny this.
    10) You shave your own hair and don???t go to the barber:
    i used to shave my head for 10 years. now i get lined up by a pro.
    11) You religiously follow YN???s Break-A-Day:
    what's that? sound like something i might follow religiously.
    12) You say things like ???Record Sales Don???t Matter!!!???. Loser
    if the phrase has the word record in it, it matters. except things like criminal record, tax records, wack records... you know.
    13) Getting tickets to that Tribe comeback tour?
    probably not cause i can more than likely get in on the comp tip. i saw tribe in 91 though and they ripped it.
    14) You get mad when people say Lil??? Wayne is top 5 right now:
    word? top 5? with ra, pac, big, jay and the kool god of rap? he just ran out of room to be in the top 5.
    15) You don???t ???own???, ???run??? or not the ???CEO??? of a small side hustle company:
    nah, i just play a lot of music for a lot of people at a lot of venues for a nice piece of change.
    16) You don???t have a blackberry, sidekick, gmail or any other form of communication besides your cell phone:
    true. i can text on my phone and get on the internet and schedule all my shit and set up reminders and alarms and so on.... what else can a blackberry do for me except look stupid pinned to my side?
    17) You DJ but won???t give up your vinyl for Serato
    i won't give up my vinyl at all but i play out with serato. so?
    18) You???re favorite rap album came from the Native Tounges camp:
    nas - illmatic, eric b and rakim - paid in full, clipse - god willin, and prbably dilla's "the shinin." though, okay, no one is really fucking with "done by the forces of nature."
    19) You mastered Reganomics:
    no i didn't
    20) You saw New Jack City in the movies:
    did this come out in the 90's? shit, i saw beat street in theatres.

i still don't know what an 80's baby is. maybe i'm missing the point

oh i get it now!

• 21) You fondly recall the days when Chris Thomas the mayor hosted RapCity

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    21) You fondly recall the days when Carlos DeJesus hosted Hot Tracks

21) You fondly recall the days when Chris Thomas the mayor hosted RapCity

i recall but not fondly. that dude was stupid. i remember he was introducing eric b and rakim, "microphone fiend" and he called it "microphone fRiend." come on man. i also recall when fab 5 freddy hosted Yo MTV Raps before ed lover and dr dre. AND the shit was on saturday mornings!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

http://xxlmag.com/online/?cat=23

I didn't know what it was either 'til I read the "20 reasons" list on XXLmag.com last night.

I'm a 70's/80's baby but I wouldn't check it daily.

Herm

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    21) You fondly recall the days when Chris Thomas the mayor hosted RapCity

i recall but not fondly. that dude was stupid.

Dude was silly, but no sillier than Hitz or Crazy Sam.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    1) You brag about not liking a rap album in years not at all- there's been quite a few real schitts which have dropped out of rap's collective arse in recent years[/b]

2) You know who Jarobi is YES- I still just don't know what his purpose is[/b]

3) You don???t understand why Young Jeezy is popular Not really... I kinda do see where the appeal comes from, but I guess I really don't understand it[/b]

4) You know who Gail King is Who? [/b]

5) You don???t have a myspace page I have three [/b]

6) You have a myspace page but with no picture. It makes you look like a child molester I have more pics than the average youngin on my Myspace pages [/b]

7) You own a Roots album Yes (although I did just put all that schitt on Ebay)[/b]

8) But you don???t own a Gangsta Grillz Who? [/b]

9) You cant appreciate Diplomatic Immunity for the Opus of ignorance that is was No I can't (although I probably never listened to it enough to give it a chance)[/b]

10) You shave your own hair and don???t go to the barber I do shave my own head and I hate barbers. Not the barbers themselves but sitting there waiting to get my head cut. The one reason I'm glad about my male pattern baldness is that I don't have to wait in a barbershop for hours to get shaped up anymore[/b]

12) You say things like ???Record Sales Don???t Matter!!!???. Loser Record sales matter from a dollars and cents perspective but they in no way have anything to do with how "good" an artist or their music is, obviously. Or else you could never have one of these GOAT conversations without mentioning Hammer and Vanilla Ice, right? Stupid[/b]

13) Getting tickets to that Tribe comeback tour? No. I wish them well, though[/b]

14) You get mad when people say Lil??? Wayne is top 5 right now I think it's a ridiculous thing, but I'm certainly not mad about it[/b]

15) You don???t ???own???, ???run??? or not the ???CEO??? of a small side hustle company I own and run and am the CEO of various side hustles, most of which are profitable (especially all them bitches I be pimpin)[/b]

16) You don???t have a blackberry, sidekick, gmail or any other form of communication besides your cell phone Nope. If I didn't have kids I wouldn't have the cell either. WAIT- actually I do have a beeper! Does that count?[/b]

17) You DJ but won???t give up your vinyl for Serato I don't dj but if I did I don't think I'd have a prob with Serato at this point. Records is heavy.[/b]

18) You???re favorite rap album came from the Native Tounges camp Nope. Of course I love most of that NT schitt though[/b]

19) You mastered Reganomics Huhhh???[/b]

20) You saw New Jack City in the movies Yep. Ain't nuthin' like seein' Pookey on the big screen. [/b]

Basicly. Except I get my hair cut (what's left of it anyway) and I love my LG 9800.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I love my LG 9800.

Which one is that? Is that the same as the T-Mobile MDA?

I'm in the market for a new celly cell. My shit's been broken for way too long but I keep putting it off 'cause I'm not really feelin' T-Mobile's selection. I might just say fuck it and pick up the Samsung T809.

Herm

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    What provider do you have? Hit me on zee Pee Em.

• I was born in '71 but you'd think it was '91 because I love new hip-hop as much as old stuff. I don't really fit the mold. Never have.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Basicly. Except I get my hair cut (what's left of it anyway) and I love my LG 9800.

What is this one even about?

Old heads don't go to the barbershop? I have never heard of that...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    1) You brag about not liking a rap album in years[/b]
    I do not brag. However, those who brag aren't really listening. Then again, I've been in silly online debates over the merit of an album. There's a lot of good music out there. How about You brag about not liking a mainstream rap album in years.

2) You know who Jarobi is[/b]
    I even saw him at NMS 11

3) You don???t understand why Young Jeezy is popular[/b]
    Young Jeezy, Sum Cheezee, Fo Sheezy, I mean GOD DAMN!

4) You know who Gail King is[/b]
    Heh.

5) You don???t have a myspace page[/b]
    I got one. And there we go.

6) You have a myspace page but with no picture. It makes you look like a child molester[/b]
    More dumb haole shit.

7) You own a Roots album[/b]
    Somehow, it always goes back to The Roots, figuratively and literally.

8) But you don???t own a Gangsta Grillz[/b]
    What?

9) You cant appreciate Diplomatic Immunity for the Opus of ignorance that is was[/b]
    Pfftt.

10) You shave your own hair and don???t go to the barber[/b]
    I have all the RAER Flowbee attachments. (no I don't)

11) You religiously follow YN???s Break-A-Day[/b]
    I don't even know what that is. I have my own records, thanks.

12) You say things like ???Record Sales Don???t Matter!!!???. Loser[/b]
    Well it doesn't, music these days relies on publicity, hype, and bitches. YEAH YOU HEARD ME: BITCHES.

13) Getting tickets to that Tribe comeback tour?[/b]
    I wouldn't want to see them live. I saw the Fu-Schnickens, though, I thought the Moore Theater was going to collapse with all of that bass.

14) You get mad when people say Lil??? Wayne is top 5 right now[/b]
    a/k/a The Progeria Kid

15) You don???t ???own???, ???run??? or not the ???CEO??? of a small side hustle company[/b]
    Sadly, no.

16) You don???t have a blackberry, sidekick, gmail or any other form of communication besides your cell phone[/b]
    Fuck, I don't even have a cell phone. I rely on those big rotary phones around my neck, and I give wreck like Shrek.

17) You DJ but won???t give up your vinyl for Serato[/b]
    I will not give up vinyl for anyone. Except for SATAN.

18) You???re favorite rap album came from the Native Tounges camp[/b]
    That sentence is grammatically wrong.

19) You mastered Reganomics[/b]
    I did a song called "Ronald Reagan", does that count?

20) You saw New Jack City in the movies[/b]
    Don't wake me/I'm dreamin'/oooooooh

How about
    21) You still get the chills when you hear Tipper Gore's name

• Like Phil, I am not an eighties baby either. However, the points you made I seem to have said them or felt that way alot lately!
    amir