Actors/Actresses You Won't Pay Money To See

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Just had this discussion here at the office....Are there certain actors/actresses that if they are in a movie you absolutely won't go to see it???Some interesting answers from my co-workers.Mine are....Courtney LoveKevin SpaceyWhoopi GoldbergRobin WilliamsLet's hear yours!!

Comments

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Fucking Vince Vaughn. I keep saying "this is the last time", but then he hooks up with a few of his funnier friends and they draw me in again, only for me to find that he's pulled them down to his level.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Keanu Reeves - can't act to save his fucking life.
    Kevin Costner - I'll stick with the real Steve McQueen, thanks.
    Sandra Bullock - beyond bland.
    Jennifer Lopez - at one point, she was a promising actress, but seems to have decided she'd rather make "by-committee" shite.
    Ben Affleck - looks like one of those giant heads on Easter Island. Acts like one, too.

All the above have been involved in some good films down the years, mind you, and I've no problem watching those films on TV, but there's no way I'd go to the cinema and pay money to see a film just because they were in it.

• Keanu Reeves - can't act to save his fucking life.

I've grown to enjoy Keanu more and more with every movie he's in. Dude has this rep as being stupid but he took points to make the Matrix rather than cash and now he never has to make another movie again. "My Own Private Idaho" and "River's Edge" were both dope.

• Tom Cruise anyone? I've hated that douche for years, and only now has he vindicated me...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    Minnie Driver
    Norman Wisdom
    Helen Hunt
    Jim fucking Carrey
    Ben Stiller
    Adam Sandler

I've grown to enjoy Keanu more and more with every movie he's in. Dude has this rep as being stupid but he took points to make the Matrix rather than cash and now he never has to make another movie again. "My Own Private Idaho" and "River's Edge" were both dope.

I find that, if a movie he's in is good, it's generally despite his involvement rather than because of it. The last thing he impressed me in was "The Gift". I can watch him in something for maybe half an hour or so, but after that his lack of any real dramatic range begins to annoy the fuck out of me.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Jim fucking Carrey
    Ben Stiller

While I can certainly see where you're coming from, ignoring the combined talents of these two would mean you could never experience the genius of Cable Guy

Oh yeah, my list:

Robin Williams (and that includes anything, including when it's just his voice)
    Cate Blanchett (unless she's on screen for less than five minutes)
    Billy Crystal (though throw momma from the train gets a pass)

I would have included Michael Douglas but many of his films are worth watching despite his presence.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    It's all gone downhill from "Bill & Ted's".

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Julia Roberts.

I cram to understand how she is the most-highest-paid-most-powerful-female-whatever in all of Hollywood. Ma is just boring.

It's all gone downhill from "Bill & Ted's".

You know, I actually agree with that.

• Keanu Reeves - can't act to save his fucking life.

I find that, if a movie he's in is good, it's generally despite his involvement rather than because of it. The last thing he impressed me in was "The Gift". I can watch him in something for maybe half an hour or so, but after that his lack of any real dramatic range begins to annoy the fuck out of me.

I know what you mean but recognizing Keanu's brilliance is like seeing the Matrix, once you know it's there it's hard to put it out of your mind.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Co-sign on Keanu Reeves. Deadpan boring doodoo on a stick "actor". Can't even stand the sound of his voice.

Add Leonardo Di Caprio to that list. And don't try to convince me with some "but he was awesome as the autistic brother in Gilbert Grape" whatever whatever. I will not pay money to watch babyface do his thing.

Conversely, she's probably my favourite actress right now. I think her range is fantastic, and I'd watch her in just about anything. She's like Meryl Streep used to be, before her steez became "look how many different accents I can do" and not much else. Different strokes, eh?

• Colin Farrell. Miami Vice did it for me.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Kevin Bacon

(more to come)

Tom Hanks: man how I miss his humorous turns in Splash, Bachelor Party, Volunteers. Now its all phony pathos and shit.

Nick Cage: Lord of War was pretty good, but so much other bullshit. Cant stand dude in interviews, thinks hes so serious.

Mel Gibson: nuff said.

Colin Farrell. Miami Vice did it for me.

He's great in Tigerland (a much slept-on movie, imho).

Tigerland was like a bad film school project.

As for Miami Vice, damn that terd warrants its own thread. WHAT A SHITTY MOVIE.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Nick Cage: Lord of War was pretty good, but so much other bullshit. Cant stand dude in interviews, thinks hes so serious.

Thank you. That guy's such an irredeemable fuckface.

• If the movie looked good, I think I'd see it regardless of its stars, although there are actors/acresses I don't care for so much, many of them already mentioned.

But for some reason, Martin Short turns my stomach. I would probably avoid any movie he starred in, but since it's not 1988 anymore, I shoud be good.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Tom Cruise anyone? I've hated that douche for years, and only now has he vindicated me...

Tom Cruise always makes me think twice, but he has managed to attach himself to a few films that are enjoyable despite his presence. But I think he's a really terrible actor, and has all the appearance of a smug douchebag in real life, so I hate to support his films in any way.

I happily avoid any films these "actors" are in:

Steven Seagal
    Micky Rourke
    Eric Roberts
    Ashton Kutcher
    Jason Biggs
    Seann William Scott
    Lindsay Lohan
    Tara Reid
    Paris Hilton - does she count as an actress?

Tigerland was like a bad film school project.

As for Miami Vice, damn that terd warrants its own thread. WHAT A SHITTY MOVIE.

I kinda liked it. I'm going to see Miami Vice this weekend. Just about everyone I know who's seen it says it's rank, but I like Michael Mann, so who knows?

Conversely, she's probably my favourite actress right now. I think her range is fantastic, and I'd watch her in just about anything. She's like Meryl Streep used to be, before her steez became "look how many different accents I can do" and not much else. Different strokes, eh?

Yeah I don't deny her talent as an actress and I enjoyed her performance in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, she's just one of those actors/actresses that really grates on me when I watch her. I think it's something to do with actors/actresses who project their worthiness onto the screen, makes me feel nauseous. On a shallaw side note, she also has incredibly big feet which Raimi's insistence on filming in The Gift made me feel quite nauseous.

Tom Hanks: man how I miss his humorous turns in Splash, Bachelor Party, Volunteers. Now its all phony pathos and shit.

Mel Gibson: nuff said.

Cosign on all of the above. Last performance I really enjoyed of Cage's was probably Raising Arizona, i.e. before his acting started to revolve round doleful stares.

Just thought of another one to add to to my list: Robert Redford.

Also, Lamont, how can you hate on the Bacon?

• hott, yes, but still the worst actress on hollywood's a-list imo

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Sandra Bullock - beyond bland.

i saw the commercial for this and almost puked a little

just like when i saw the commercial for this

which brings me to my actor, an easy target Antonio Banderas

I hate those fucking turn-around ghetto dance/baseball/basketball/school team with white teacher that has more groove than you thought

fucking banderas and his accent...

Oh shit, how could I forget hollywood actor and best buddy of the Dali Llama Richard Gere?

Internal Affairs and American Gigolo are the only two movies he's ever made I'll happily watch and are also the only two which picked up on the fact that this man is a crawling cesspool of sleaze.

Just thought of another one to add to to my list: Robert Redford.

And we have a winner! How could I forget? One of the most precious, pretentious, self-regarding fucks in the history of cinema. Anyone remember the last time Robert Redford starred in a movie where his character wasn't a towering beacon of moral fortitude? He made some great movies a long time ago, but I think he's physically incapable of taking a role where the character is in any way unsympathetic.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Oh shit, how could I forget hollywood actor and best buddy of the Dali Llama Richard Gere?

and the countless middle aged man romantic comedies

christ

• Nick Cage: Lord of War was pretty good, but so much other bullshit. Cant stand dude in interviews, thinks hes so serious.

Thank you. That guy's such an irredeemable fuckface.

YOu know, I used to think this too, but look at some of his films:

Raising Arizona
    Wild At Heart
    Adaptation
    Leaving Las Vegas
    Bringing Out the Dead
    Lord of War
    Weather Man

Those are not bad movies, and he was good in ALL of them. I hate some of the choices he makes, but at this point, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Nicholas Cage is not as bad as he makes us want to think he it (thank you 'Face/Off'.)

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Yes, although Phone Booth was pretty awesome and I still want to see The New World. I love Terrence Malick movies but there never seemed to be any buzz around this film.

My list (taken mainly from others)

Whoopi Goldberg
    Sandra Bullock
    Brendan Fraser (hate hate hate hate him)
    Ben Affleck
    Mel Gibson (his frantic tweaker sense of acting bothers me)
    Nick Cage (like others have said of Keanu, his movies are good despite his presence. I've known people that have served him coffee and they say he's a dick. Still, I'm going to see World Trade Center)