Favorite Teary-Eyed Sports Moments

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I was watching a rerun of the X-Games MotoX Best Trick Comp, and watching Travis Pastrana land that double back flip. I don't even watch this type of thing usually, but damn that thing gave me goosebumps. He told his mom "If something happens, I love you", and he nailed it. That was glory. Another one still fresh in my memory is the sequence of plays by Kobe Bryant against the Suns in Game 4. Game-tying rainbow and the game-winning J, which brought an embattled, young, and insecure Laker team together for the first time in the season. And ultimately served as redemption for one of the game's most embattled stars. Yes, I am biased, but deal with it, that was the story.Tiger Woods at Augusta, winning his first Masters in 1997. Vivid red and black colors. Powerful game. And only the beginning of a legendary career. Yes it was pretty dramatic:

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    1992 Olympic games, Men's 400 metres when British Athlete Derek Redmond pulls up halfway round through injury but picks himself up to complete the race. It's the moment when his dad runs on the track to help him round that gets me, makes me teary eyed just thinking about it.

Youtube footage.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I think you have to give it to that autisitc kid who rained threes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vGF3p-W6JLg

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

huge cosign...I definitely drove to work with tears in my eyes after watching that on SportsCenter.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Not my tears but watching a blubbing Gazza get sent off in 1990 was sad.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    When the ball bounced off of Texas Ranger outfielder Jose Canseco's head and went over the fence for a home run.

• Living in Boston during the 2004 Playoffs was like one long extended orgasm that will probably never be topped as far as other-worldly sports moments goes. I went to game 3 of the ALDS that David Ortiz won with a walk off in what was only a preview of things to come...

Also, seeing James Earl Jones speak the National Anthem before a Sox-Yankees game at Fenway was

When, just after Sept. 11, they stopped a Rangers exhibition game to watch the President speak on the Jumbotron, and then called the game after the 2nd Period. Or, when Joe Andruzzi's brothers (all NYFD Members) did the coin flip for the Pats the next home game.

This is why I love sports...Moments like these...

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    Living in Boston during the 2004 Playoffs was like one long extended orgasm that will probably never be topped as far as other-worldly sports moments goes.

true, but if you point to one moment, its got to be Roberts stolen base in game4.

-peeJ

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Not quite as teary eyed, but i do remember as a youngster Charls Barkley's first game back to Philly after he became a Sun. He was at the free throw line and some kid ran on the court and hugged him. Not surrounded by records, trophies, or anything, just a loved player returning 'home'.

Then he decided to have his number retired with the Suns and become a funny and annoying commentator.

• I HATE KIRK GIBSON

• I HATE EVERY ATLANTA BRAVE EVER

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I HATE EVERY New York Yankee[/b] EVER

• Recently, seeing Tiger hug his caddy and wife after winning the British Open.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts

Yes. I love when his dad waves security off like get the fuck out of my face.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Lou Gehrig's speech.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Two Hall of Famer NBAers great enough to be known by their initials crying their little eyes out.

KG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef-f7EeDpYI

AI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQAxaGLxsIw

-e

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Living in Boston during the 2004 Playoffs was like one long extended orgasm that will probably never be topped as far as other-worldly sports moments goes.

This is why I love sports...Moments like these...

I wasn't there for it, but I'm from there and was a 3rd generation season ticket holder growing up. Luckily, there's a Boston themed bar in SF a block from where I lived called the Connecticut Yankee (ironic much?). When the Sox won everyone pured out into the streets. I took a yelling victory lap around the block and when I got back people were hugging strangers, crying their eyes out and lighting fireworks in the middle of the road. The news showed up not long after to interview those that could compose themselves for a second. That was no one so they just filmed the crowd. It was totally surreal... best sports moment of my life by far and will never be topped.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    valvano's "never give up" speech:

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I HATE KIRK GIBSON

YOU MUST DIE!

Peace to my 4th grade teacher who accepted my homework the next day despite the fact that I scribbled Dodgers all over it in blue ink.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I played soccer in AYSO when I was 10, and I was a defender. For whatever reason, I wanted to block someone and it resulted in a complete backward flip. Unfortunately they did not have camcorders back then.

It wasn't teary-eyed, but more of a

• lamaslamas 39 Posts

huge cosign...I definitely drove to work with tears in my eyes after watching that on SportsCenter.

you know they're turning that into a movie right?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    valvano's "never give up" speech:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Not quite a teary-eyed moment, but Maurice Cheeks helping that girl sing the national anthem after she got flustered and flubbed it was a definite "awwwww!" moment.

But yeah, Jimmy V's speech and the Olympic dude's dad helping him finish the race pretty much top this list.

• Terrell Owens' catch against the Packers in the '98 wildcard game.

Hard to understand emotionally if you're not a Niners fan, but that moment was cathartic on so many levels; finally beating Favre and the Pack in a playoff game, the team having faith in TO after a horrible game and having that faith vindicated, and in retrospect, it was really the last gasp of glory for Steve Young and the shadow of the great Niners teams of the 80's and early 90's.

But I still miss Joe....

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    when darrell green retired
    and did that final backpedal after the game ended

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• When Jim Kelly gave his Football Hall of Fame speech, and said his real hero was his son, with the debilitating disease in the wheel chair...and his voice cracked...Jesus, I wanna cry just thinking about it...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Two Hall of Famer NBAers great enough to be known by their initials crying their little eyes out.

KG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef-f7EeDpYI

AI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQAxaGLxsIw

-e

Damn, I'm glad I did made this thread. When I first saw that KG interview, it was one of the most refreshing things I had seen on T.V. for a while. Sames goes for that A.I. with Steven A. Smith. After thoese interviews, i feel like coppin' a KG jersey or an AI jersey, for real.

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    I HATE KIRK GIBSON

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    after one of his victories when Jens Pulver started crying about how his dad beat him.