"Club Bangers w/ an organic sound"????

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Plaase to tell what this would be. I'm trying to send some beats in and this is what is asked for. Kanye? Dilla? Acoustic Lil' Jon?

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    "Organic sound" = live instrumentation

At least that's how I read it. So I'm guessing they want some Dre shit.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Acoustic Lil' Jon?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Rich Harrison, obviously.
    "Crazy in Love"? I donno if I'd call "One Thing" a club banger.

• you're sending beats to Dusty Groove?

• I donno if I'd call "One Thing" a club banger.

Disconnected from the club

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I donno if I'd call "One Thing" a club banger.

I know it got played at clubs and its a great song but...nah. Its not v. good dance track.

I know it got played at clubs

I've always assumed a "club banger" is a song that gets a lot of burn (and good reaction) at clubs... I'll take your recommendations for "good dance tracks" with a grain of salt.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

I've always assumed a "club banger" is a song that gets a lot of burn (and good reaction) at clubs... I'll take your recommendations for "good dance tracks" with a grain of salt.

Club Mind Garden

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

I know it got played at clubs and its a great song but...nah. Its not v. good dance track.

True that. Head-nodder but not a floor-filler.

How about Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra "Che Che Cole Makossa"? Shit works everywhere.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Y'all are buggin, that song kills, nice long mix to the instrumental gets the ladies going as recognition creeps over their faces. Finally drops the main mix, that shit is club gold. We may need to further define "club", but when I'm playing, nobody is waiting for Antibalas, at least not when parties really kickin and people are expecting "club bangers", just my 2 cents.

Also, I nominate "Aint No other man", pretty organic sound, killing it right now. Also Roots (obvious I know) the Seed....

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Club Mind Garden

deej = private dancer in private mind club

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    "Senorita", et al.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Saying.
    If a song NEEDS recognition ('whoa i heard this on tv the other day') then that doesn't neccessarily make it a 'club banger'. Since when does 'getting play in clubs' make something a club banger? When Mary J's last album dropped they were playing that single "Be Without You" at clubs but you don't call it a 'club banger.'

"One Thing" would make people smile and nod their heads but its basically grooveless, one big looped drum fill.

• dogs, it was one of the *biggest* songs of that year.

If you think a Meters loop is "grooveless", you're probably on the wrong website.

Saying.
    If a song NEEDS recognition ('whoa i heard this on tv the other day') then that doesn't neccessarily make it a 'club banger'. Since when does 'getting play in clubs' make something a club banger? When Mary J's last album dropped they were playing that single "Be Without You" at clubs but you don't call it a 'club banger.'

"One Thing" would make people smile and nod their heads but its basically grooveless, one big looped drum fill.

The fact that you looked to dmac's post for corroboration holds very little weight, since not only did he say that "One Thing"--one of the biggest club records in recent memory, without question--was not a great dance track, but he went on to advocate an Antibalas record as one that fits the floor-filling bill.

That is just crazy talk (no offense to patchouli-groovers).

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Seriously though, "One Thing" provoked an amazing response in many different types of clubs from coast to coast.

I don't know what kind of clubs you guys are going to.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I know its a big 'song' but its an event song - everyone likes it, because its a great song, not because its got some unstoppable dance groove. I know the Meters had some incredible tight grooves and drum work, but this entire track was based around a drum fill, its loose and a consistent groove never catches. Thats part of what makes the song so good, thats part of its appeal - but when I think club banger, I think of something that picks people up without them even noticing it, they don't need to have heard it before, even, to dance to it - it hits them on a rhythmic level. Maybe my idea of a 'club banger' is too limited. (i.e. "Big Pimpin" was a club banger, utterly rhythmic and inherently danceable. "Still Tippin" isn't, even though it was big in clubs and its a great song - the beat isn't really doing that much work, rhythmically. Still Tippin' doesn't 'bang,' its melody is sinuous.)

Nonetheless I'm the only jerk who came up w/ an answer in this thread so back on topic.

(I have no idea what the song was he was talking about)

• but when I think club banger, I think of something that picks people up without them even noticing it

A la Shawnna, right?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    but when I think club banger, I think of something that picks people up without them even noticing it

A la Shawnna, right?
    Well, a la "Gettin Some," yes. That song has an immediate groove to it. I'm not saying its a *better song* but it sounds like 'banger' where "One Thing" sounds like, i donno, 'pop gem' or something.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hmmmm....

I'm just gonna stop right now.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    One Thing NOT a club banger??

Are you fucking kidding me???

Honestly, drop One Thing and Antibalas back to back in most spots and see what kind of reaction each song gets.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "Still Tippin" isn't, even though it was big in clubs and its a great song - the beat isn't really doing that much work, rhythmically. Still Tippin' doesn't 'bang,' its melody is sinuous.)

You must be a Beat Scientist!

• just stop.

Heeeey, Cosmo.

• I know its a big 'song' but its an event song - everyone likes it, because its a great song, not because its got some unstoppable dance groove. I know the Meters had some incredible tight grooves and drum work, but this entire track was based around a drum fill, its loose and a consistent groove never catches. Thats part of what makes the song so good, thats part of its appeal - but when I think club banger, I think of something that picks people up without them even noticing it, they don't need to have heard it before, even, to dance to it - it hits them on a rhythmic level. Maybe my idea of a 'club banger' is too limited. (i.e. "Big Pimpin" was a club banger, utterly rhythmic and inherently danceable. "Still Tippin" isn't, even though it was big in clubs and its a great song - the beat isn't really doing that much work, rhythmically. Still Tippin' doesn't 'bang,' its melody is sinuous.)

Nonetheless I'm the only jerk who came up w/ an answer in this thread so back on topic.

(I have no idea what the song was he was talking about)

1). please stop

2). you sound like that Tom Brehanawhateverhisnameis

3). I would pay to see you dance at a club. ( )

4). That Antiballas joint is a dope record, Ross, i've played to a few different types of crowds and it's always worked real well. Please to stop the hatting. (maybe you'd feel this version instead). local club six experience.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Antibalas

Dudes I'm not defending this. I have no fucking clue what it is.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    HAAYYYY...

Fucking Pro Tools, mayn...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    3). I would pay to see you dance at a club. ( )
    Haha. Striping music thread to thread.

I don't think this is about me dancing, its about you all dancing to "One Thing."

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    1). please stop

Yeah dudes sorry that I actually talked about the music further than 'yeah banger' or 'shit's wack' or 'raer.' Is the term 'groove' tripping you up or something?

"One Thing" doesn't have a groove; its a looped drum solo. Do you really disagree with that point? It never congeals into an actual groove. And all I said was that when I think "club banger" i think of something that bangs and has some sort of consistent groove to it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    1). please stop

Yeah dudes sorry that I actually talked about the music further than 'yeah banger' or 'shit's wack' or 'raer'

I understand what you're trying to say, dude, but regardless of the song's components (or lack thereof in your opinion) the song "One Thing" killed it in clubs, both black and white, across the country for over a year. The song killed when I was playing it in October 2004 when NOBODY was playing it, before it had gotten radio or major club play.

I'm just saying that, regardless of your argument, I think that is a good definition of a "club banger." Am I wrong?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Basically I had a more specific idea of what a 'club banger' meant. Just because something goes over well in a club doesn't make it a 'banger,' at least the way i think of it. I wasn't questioning that it was a popular song at all.