Rhymefest speaks on his first-week sales

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Thoughts? The guy sounds pretty grounded and positive to me. Unusual nowadays to see a rapper looking at the long game from the start.

Comments

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Thoughts?

The guy sounds pretty grounded and positive to me. Unusual nowadays to see a rapper looking at the long game from the start.

that's that dude. his humility will get him far.. well that and a dope, start to finish lp.

• Thoughts?

The guy sounds pretty grounded and positive to me. Unusual nowadays to see a rapper looking at the long game from the start.

that's that dude. his humility will get him far.. well that and a dope, start to finish lp.

I heard snippets of his album and I wasn't mad at it at all. I think what he's trying to say, staying on the grind and amasing a dedicated fanbase instead of a fickle one, is real talk to an actual career.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    you know i'm a fan....

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    afford me the chance to do what no other rapper has done: truly earn fans that stick with me because of the quality of the product and not the smoke & mirrors of marketing & promotion.

I mean, come the hell on! I like his positive attitude toward his lack of sales (did he really expect otherwise?!), but is it really necessary to say some shit like the above? I mean, why do artists always have to insult listeners that like music that doesn't have all that much in common with the music s/he does? Just because they don't like the certain brand of music that you do, they are stupid pawns of marketing and promotion? Jesus.

-e

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
    afford me the chance to do what no other rapper has done: truly earn fans that stick with me because of the quality of the product and not the smoke & mirrors of marketing & promotion.

I mean, come the hell on! I like his positive attitude toward his lack of sales (did he really expect otherwise?!), but is it really necessary to say some shit like the above? I mean, why do artists always have to insult listeners that like music that doesn't have all that much in common with the music s/he does? Just because they don't like the certain brand of music that you do, they are stupid pawns of marketing and promotion? Jesus.

-e

Yeah, but is he really criticising the music (or the fans, for that matter?) or just the mechanism? Look at the number of the rappers who've been in the game for, say, ten or fifteen years and who consistently have big-selling records (regional factors notwithstanding). There aren't very many, are there? Let's not kid ourselves, there's a lot of acts selling records right now on the assumption that, because their video is heavy rotation or they're all over the mixtapes, they're the hot new thing. I mean, a couple of years ago, "Tipsy" was inescapable, but is anyone seriously waiting on J-Kwon's second album? And it's not just so-called "commercial" acts, either - let's not forget that six-month period in the late 90's where everyone was sitting around waiting for Canibus to change the face of hip-hop.

• afford me the chance to do what no other rapper has done: truly earn fans that stick with me because of the quality of the product and not the smoke & mirrors of marketing & promotion.

I mean, come the hell on! I like his positive attitude toward his lack of sales (did he really expect otherwise?!), but is it really necessary to say some shit like the above? I mean, why do artists always have to insult listeners that like music that doesn't have all that much in common with the music s/he does? Just because they don't like the certain brand of music that you do, they are stupid pawns of marketing and promotion[/b]? Jesus.

-e

Well I mean look at Faux's fashion idol:Lupe Fiasco, that beat sounds like some "classic" Molemen/Rawkus/HipHopsite 12'' type of beat from almost 5-6 years ago and it's on the fuckin' radio (EVEN A SLIGHT CLUB BANGER, DEEJ). That shit is on there because of some type of "funny buisness".

i'm not sure what point is, I think i'm just mentioning it because Lupe is basically the exact same artist (Chicago, Kanye, "Alternative").

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I mean, come the hell on! I like his positive attitude toward his lack of sales (did he really expect otherwise?!), but is it really necessary to say some shit like the above? I mean, why do artists always have to insult listeners that like music that doesn't have all that much in common with the music s/he does? Just because they don't like the certain brand of music that you do, they are stupid pawns of marketing and promotion[/b]? Jesus.

-e

Well I mean look at Faux's fashion idol:Lupe Fiasco, that beat sounds like some "classic" Molemen/Rawkus/HipHopsite 12'' type of beat from almost 5-6 years ago and it's on the fuckin' radio (EVEN A SLIGHT CLUB BANGER, DEEJ). That shit is on there because of some type of "funny buisness".

i'm not sure what point is, I think i'm just mentioning it because Lupe is basically the exact same artist (Chicago, Kanye, "Alternative").

Well Lupe has reached the vinyl toy-buying demographic...

• afford me the chance to do what no other rapper has done: truly earn fans that stick with me because of the quality of the product and not the smoke & mirrors of marketing & promotion.

-e

Well Lupe has reached the vinyl toy-buying demographic...

i got pics of you at kid robot/i've seen ya