Is Bathing Ape the new Von Dutch?

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Shit is looking mad tacky.......Side note, i got hype beasted by Lupe Fiasco!http://www.hypebeast.com/lupefiasco/2006/06/

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    BAPE has been played out for years.
    All the cornballs wear that shit now, might as well have rainbow and unicorn prints on it it's so gay

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    might as well have rainbow and unicorn prints on it it's so gay

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT!?!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT!?!

Perry Bible Fellowship

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    They always looked tacky, but i like the idea that people think they're lame now because too many people are wearing them.

trucker hates and bapes were never agl, always nagl

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Von Dutch came and went super quick.
    BAPE was bubblin in Japan for a minute before hitting the States. By the time the "ghetto" started sporting it, shit was slidin' down hill.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I would shamelessly rock this Tshirt.

• RafaelRafael 120 Posts

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    might as well have rainbow and unicorn prints on it it's so gay

The heir to the Space Moose legacy, no doubt!

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Me too. It's funny as shit!

Dude. Get real. You couldn't walk 10 yards in any hood with that on and not get clowned or beaten.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    more comic strips

but please t post shameful bapes clothing pics

• bape is "status" clothing, just like polo was/continues to be in some circles, or a custom made suit (with working button holes) is to others. fashion is just a minor part, your trying to portray a certain image. whether you think bape is ugly or not, doesnt negate the fact that when you see somebody wearing a printed hoodie, you know they spent a minimum of $400-$500 on it....unless they are among the millions of people wearing fakes from china.

by the way, im not defending bape clothing, in terms of fashion. i dont wear it.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

Dude. Get real. You couldn't walk 10 yards in any hood with that on and not get clowned or beaten.

Dude. How many people on this board do you think live in the "hood"?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Von Dutch came and went super quick.
    BAPE was bubblin in Japan for a minute before hitting the States. By the time the "ghetto" started sporting it, shit was slidin' down hill.

Correct, it was well past fashion saturation in Japan (much like Stussy in the USA back in the day) before Jermaine Dupri, Kanye, and Neptunes/Clipse started rocking it.

It is... how do you say, "not so hot" anymore over there....

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    a custom made suit (with working button holes)

Surgeon cuffs.

• a custom made suit (with working button holes)

Surgeon cuffs.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Dude. How many people on this board do you think live in the "hood"?

I live in the "HOOD". I wouldnt wear that shit, but if I did, nobody would fuck w/ me. Shit aint too far from Iceberg Cartoon Gear.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    the success of bape in the american hiphop market has actually revitalized the brand back home. It was a smart move by nigo to crossover here since the brand was slipping in japan.

bape is back in all the jpn/hk fashion street mags now.

I said 'any hood' not 'the hood'. Even the suburbs are neighbor-'hoods'.
    Whatever. You'd still look like a clown in that garbage. Might as well be wearing snow-wash jeans and neon socks.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    might as well be wearing this with your jordache jeans.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Some people say Nigo's the next Ralph Lauren in terms of creating a "lifestyle" brand. i can't say I'd wear a lot of it- but it was different? Then again so was Cross Colors...

'
    bapes too big. - djanna

^^^ As worn by

• My avatar really needs to make an appearance in this thread.

How many of y'all are 18 in here? You see y'all don't know how to fuck yet. Even trannies.

The history of designer clothing from the early 80s to now is interesting. Very aspirational. Not knocking it per se, but there sure is a lot of ugly overpriced shit out there. And since it's all made of plastic, it will be around longer than any of us. Isn't that great.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

How many of y'all are 18 in here? You see y'all don't know how to fuck yet. Even trannies.

SHOW YOURSELF MrsMcClusky!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    bape is "status" clothing, just like polo was/continues to be in some circles junior high schools

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

This one's more better:

www.threadless.com

Herm

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Bape is just ugly. We are all aware that bape is ripping off Nike--probably having their shit made in the same factories--yet the brand thrives. The shoes are bootlegs, no matter how much they cost (I saw a kid skating in them which seems extra ridiculous).
    If you buy some fake Nikes that are made in a factory that Nike contracts, using the same specs and machinery that Nike uses for their 'legit' shoes, then are you really buying bootleg shoes? They're not really counterfeit if all they're missing is some part of the capitalist flow of product. If you do a search on the internet you can find all sorts of crazy websites for factories in China that will produce Nikes for "research purposes" or something to that effect.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    [reynaldo]The only people dissing Bape are the people who ain't rich enough to sport it.[/reynaldo]