So guru is now beefing with an engineer on record?

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Roc's Young Guru & Gangstarr's Guru Clash Over NameBy Houston WilliamsDate: 5/24/2005 8:00 pm Gimmel "Young Guru" Keaton, A&R for Roc-A-Fella Records, is regarded as one of the best engineers in the business, but he never thought that he'd be the subject of a friction in Hip-Hop. However, rapper Guru of the legendary Gangstarr has taken exception to Keaton's moniker."There is no disrespect to [Guru]. I big up that dude and it's really not a problem," Keaton told AllHipHop.com. "I've spoke to a lot of people about it and they are like 'Leave it alone, but I just want duke to know that there ain't no animosity. I don't know where it's coming from. I been a fan since Gangstarr came out and that's what makes me what to reach out to duke and correct it. If it can't be corrected, then so be it."Gangstarr's Guru is a rap veteran whose career stretches into the 1980's and he stated that alone is just cause for the younger guru to change his handle.The first single off his upcoming album, Guru: Version 7.0, has harsh words for Keaton."When [his name] first caught our ears, we were like, 'Huh?' We tried to reach out and no one got back to us. Then we started seeing more and more articles on him. First of all, my name ain't up for sale. You are not going to write me out of history," Guru told MTV News. "You wouldn't hear anybody say 'Young Grandmaster Flash' or 'Young Kool Herc.' There's rules in hip-hop ??? that's what's being addressed in the song. It's as real as real can get."Young Guru, who works behind the scenes with Freeway, Jay-Z, Memphis Bleek and Juelz Santana, countered saying that he's simply a fan and isn't interested in any sort of rap beef."For the record, DJ Premier is my favorite producer of all-time and Gangstarr is one of my favorite groups. I don't have no problem with dude and I don't know where it came from. I just want people to know I've been DJing since '87 under that name," the Wilmington, Delaware native said. "I'm not a rapper. I'm not a threat to [Guru]. I'm justan engineer. I really wish nobody knew my name."Despite upcoming disses, Young Guru said that he's going to stand firm by his assertion that he's going to maintain his moniker."At the end of the day, I'm not going to change my name."corny man. Dude is really reaching with this beef. Anyway hes young guru. Does he go to budist monastaries and beef with dudes too?

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Despite upcoming disses,[/b] Young Guru said that he's going to stand firm by his assertion that he's going to maintain his moniker.

Is there a footnote with Guru's dis schedule included?

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    What do engineers do? I think Guru is pretty wack nowadays. What kinda beef is it if you are beefing with someone over a name whos not even an MC. PEACE...

P.S Guru has pretty weak lyrics.

I guess thats just your opinion, but I think he works perfectly on Gangstarr's tracks...
    If you have beef that he is not competing with mc's out nowadays I can hear that.

But overall I think you should pay the man some respect... he's done a lot for hip hop...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    That sh!t is truly pathetic... I wish Guru (the Gangstarr one) would just fade away instead of continuing to embarass himself.

• swissbeatzswissbeatz 152 Posts

I would agree that he is not at all at the top of the charts when it comes to lyrics. All though I could through a few tracks at you... Its not so much that he is clever with his shit but lets not forget about the messages...
    He his been very important to the culture...

feel free to start posting pictures of backpacks now....

I'm just saying some people take this hiphop shit seriously

PEACE

AND YES I THINK IT IS GHEY THAT HE IS BEING SUCH A PRICK ABOUT HIS NAME

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    That sh!t is truly pathetic... I wish Guru (the Gangstarr one) would just fade away instead of continuing to embarass himself.

What a yuppie! Aren't there a few people in India or somewhere with better claim to the name Guru?

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

PEACE

thanks for the words of wisdom.

PEACE

thanks for the words of wisdom.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

zing

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I think Lil Jon, Lil Wayne, Lil Half-Dead and Lil Kim should all sue each other over their names because "there's rules in hip-hop."

But thank goodness there's no rules in prog rock, else Guru might be getting a call from these dudes' lawyers:

"First of all, our name ain't up for sale. You are not going to write us out of history, duke!"

• Youg Guru was interviewd in Scratch Magazine and he said that he met Keith and they talked about the name situation and that everything was coo' so unless that was false info, I don't see where that is coming from.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

fake ass playa uses a compressor in the 22K range straight up like a bitch! Let me catch you use a shure 57, I'll put my foot in that ass..ya heard?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

What a yuppie! Aren't there a few people in India or somewhere with better claim to the name Guru?

"guru" just means "teacher" or "advisor" in india. i think guru should come to india and sue everyone that someone calls guru. i'll bet some of them even write poetry and stuff. that could be a lot of lawsuits. it would at least be a lot of diss tracks.

Oh, jeezus, dude--I don't think there are many people posting here who don't in some fashion "take this hiphop sh!t seriously".

Get off it.

• I wish Guru (the Gangstarr one) would just fade away instead of continuing to embarass himself.

You are not going to write me out of history

Do not go gentle into that good night!
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light!

Seriously though, how many people even know what an engineer does? And he's afraid of this dude stealing his title? It makes me sad to see him like this.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I wish Guru (the Gangstarr one) would just fade away instead of continuing to embarass himself.

You are not going to write me out of history

Do not go gentle into that good night!
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light!

Seriously though, how many people even know what an engineer does? And he's afraid of this dude stealing his title? It makes me sad to see him like this.
    truly is sad. Mr. Elam needs to fall the hell back.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    What a fucking idiot.

Yeah man, I said my peace.. I'll I'm saying is simply.....

Guru is acting a fool about this name thing...

but in terms of fading away, i think that shit is stupid to say... wouldn't you agree?

Hasn't he proved himself in his music?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Yeah man, I said my peace.. I'll I'm saying is simply.....

Guru is acting a fool about this name thing...

but in terms of fading away, i think that shit is stupid to say... wouldn't you agree?

Hasn't he proved himself in his music?

not enough to act like this

No, I obviously wouldn't agree that it is stupid, since I said it in the first place.

There comes a time when an artist needs to recognize that his era is past and if he wants to stay in the music game to play the background... maybe do some A&R sh!t.

Guru is just embarrassing himself at this point and detracting from his musical legacy.

No, I obviously wouldn't agree that it is stupid, since I said it in the first place.

There comes a time when an artist needs to recognize that his era is past and if he wants to stay in the music game to play the background... maybe do some A&R sh!t.

Guru is just embarrassing himself at this point and detracting from his musical legacy.

I would; at this point; have to agree to disagree.. I guess I just was trying to stand up for the man since I apprecaite his music.
    but i do think he is being stupid for acting this way.

I would; at this point; have to agree to disagree.. I guess I just was trying to stand up for the man since I apprecaite his music.
    but i do think he is being stupid for acting this way.

o;k;a;y;

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Glad you still appreciate his newer stuff, me personally, The Ownerz has grown on me, but the solo stuff he has done is ehhh, except for the collab he did on that Boston track, what was it called? Home? Anyway his old stuff has definately earned his place in history whether it was due to premier or his lyrics or their ability to work together (all in your opinion).

It does seem weak to be going after an engineer and its not a good look on his part, however I am not in on the details, so maybe he felt or knows Young Guru was feeding off the name he has built, if so then he's got the right IMO, but i think he should be doing his best to clarify his position as well.

Also just because you aren;t in the limelight anymore doesn;t mean you should stop making music. if you like it and peopel still buy it even if its not the numbers you once had, who is anyone to tell him he should quit? Being an A&R is not in the picture for some people.

however I am not in on the details, so maybe he felt or knows Young Guru was feeding off the name he has built, if so then he's got the right IMO, but i think he should be doing his best to clarify his position as well.

F*ck, dude, you don't need to be "in on the details" to know that sh!t is preposterous.

• this thread provided more entertainment for me than Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal has in years...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    guru is officially done. Dude needs to wrap it up. Lemonade was a popular drink...and it STILL is.

Little dudes stop trying to play gangstarr in the club.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    however I am not in on the details, so maybe he felt or knows Young Guru was feeding off the name he has built, if so then he's got the right IMO, but i think he should be doing his best to clarify his position as well.

F*ck, dude, you don't need to be "in on the details" to know that sh!t is preposterous.

I guess not but then of course no one knew that they had deaded whatever beef there was and this news may be old... But then again i guess the details don;t matter.

• speshboogiespeshboogie 105 Posts
    Shit, whats up with BIZARRE-O from D12 rockin the iced out "BIZ" medallion ? Dude is calling himself BIZ ?!?!?!
    B.Markie needs to flick a booger on him!

Whether or not Guru's beef is legit, lotta muh fuckas these days just aint original anymore. PERIOD.

Either they just don't know about who/what was here before they were, or they just don't give a fuck.
    I think it's a combo of both.

Whatever.