Places to rap in NYC?

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I just moved into this city at the beginning of June. I've asked around and haven't been able to find any places to rap at. Anybody know any good places to go to freestyle with other people that rap? Or what about battling? And how about good places to dance?

Comments

• I like to freestyle on the Subway. People seem to dig it.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I like to freestyle on the Subway. People seem to dig it.

so that was you on the E Train last month...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I just moved into this city at the beginning of June. I've asked around and haven't been able to find any places to rap at. Anybody know any good places to go to freestyle with other people that rap? Or what about battling? And how about good places to dance?

Son, hang out in front of Fat Beats with a hoody on while wearing your backpack. You can rap all day in front of Fat Beats and maybe even battle Percee P or Jeru. Make sure you rap about the stars and planets and shit. For dancing, do the wop in front of every Gray???s Papaya location and then go to the Rucker courts on 155th street and do the chicken noodle soup dance. Do the Harlem shake on the subway ride up to get warmed up. The locals will love you.
    What part of Europe are you from?

• Anybody know any good places to go to freestyle with other people that rap? Or what about battling? And how about good places to dance?

check out http://www.endoftheweak.com/

and look for the House Dance Conference every 1st Thursday of the month

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Son, hang out in front of Fat Beats with a hoody on while wearing your backpack. You can rap all day in front of Fat Beats and maybe even battle Percee P or Jeru. Make sure you rap about the stars and planets and shit. For dancing, do the wop in front of every Gray???s Papaya location and then go to the Rucker courts on 155th street and do the chicken noodle soup dance. Do the Harlem shake on the subway ride up to get warmed up. The locals will love you.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

• Anybody know any good places to go to freestyle with other people that rap? Or what about battling? And how about good places to dance?

Word, that's my peoples.

• Options

I just moved into this city at the beginning of June. I've asked around and haven't been able to find any places to rap at. Anybody know any good places to go to freestyle with other people that rap?

Find a shop called Good Records, it's somewhere in Manhattan. Kanye West runs his label out of there. Just go in and freestyle at the guy behind the counter.

• NOT FUNNY!

Hi Sween

I just moved into this city at the beginning of June. I've asked around and haven't been able to find any places to rap at. Anybody know any good places to go to freestyle with other people that rap?

Find a shop called Good Records, it's somewhere in Manhattan. Kanye West runs his label out of there. Just go in and freestyle at the guy behind the counter.

Best advice so far!

• Options
    NOT FUNNY!

Hi Sween

Hi Jonny. Make it to the carwash last week?

• no...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Actually, I'm from this tiny outcropping of Europe called Florida, you might not have heard about it until recently, as it was only discovered by "y'all fools who be knowin" last fall.
    Sorry if I wasn't born in New York, or sorry if I'm not down enough to be "blessed son", I'm just trying to find out where people can go to do any rapping. I have actually been to places in Florida where people go rap, while people dj, and other people breakdance. I suppose it was silly of me to assume that such things would be going on in New York, or if they do go on in New York that someone would actually tell me where they are.
    Feel free to retitle this post: "Yo, who's down, cause somebody isn't, so let's clown on this fool until my boss asks me what I'm doing surfing the internet on company time and I get fired from my job procesing complaints for Radioshack and Herb Alpert"

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    B-MAN STANCE!

• Actually, I'm from this tiny outcropping of Europe called Florida, you might not have heard about it until recently, as it was only discovered by "y'all fools who be knowin" last fall.
    Sorry if I wasn't born in New York, or sorry if I'm not down enough to be "blessed son", I'm just trying to find out where people can go to do any rapping. I have actually been to places in Florida where people go rap, while people dj, and other people breakdance. I suppose it was silly of me to assume that such things would be going on in New York, or if they do go on in New York that someone would actually tell me where they are.
    Feel free to retitle this post: "Yo, who's down, cause somebody isn't, so let's clown on this fool until my boss asks me what I'm doing surfing the internet on company time and I get fired from my job procesing complaints for Radioshack and Herb Alpert"

oh snap! btw, I recomend South Bronx.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Actually, I'm from this tiny outcropping of Europe called Florida, you might not have heard about it until recently, as it was only discovered by "y'all fools who be knowin" last fall.

i guess my first retort would be...

and just to be clear, dudes (Rockwell) did give you a heads up...

but...if you are feeling slighted by the comments above it probably has more to do with the somewhat very cliche' inquiry you made of going to NYC to rap.

Not trying to knock your hustle, and contrary to what Faux Rillz says, not everyone on this board chills at the bodega with spliffs rappin about their timbalands. So our ignorance was turned into making jokes...chillax bro..

in short, there's a ton of hatteurs on this board...tounge in cheeck at best. don't get your undies in a bunch.

as for rappin in the skreetz, here's the best that ever did it.

Hommie, it's just JOKES!!!!!! It's the internet mayne! Everyone clowns on each other on this board. I live in Seattle, one of the most hip-hop deprived major cities in America. I know where Florida is on a map and have been to Miami and Tampa. I have been listening to Florida hip-hop like 2 live crew, Gigolo Tony, Beatmaster Clay D, Poison Clan, etc. probably since before you were born. No disrespect to Florida dude. You are taking things TOO serious. You have to admit that a post titled "Places to rap in NYC" is funny. Shit dude, go to the Marcy projects in Brooklyn or go to Queens and look for Mobb Deep to battle. Then you asked where to dance? That is comedy. I could tell you where to go break dance in the 80s, but I have no idea now. In the 80s, United Skates of America in Queens was the spot. I am leaving for NYC in the morning. If I find any rap or break dance hot spots I will let you know.

• If you can't take a joke like a (B-)man, then maybe you should

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    The reason why I re-registered (I used to post on here a few years ago, I believe I used the name 'boner patrol') is because of the humor that goes on in the threads. There's tons of funny shit going on in here, so I'm not gonna hesitate to clown if I'm getting clowned on (which I definitely was).Of course I can take a joke. I can joke around too, but maybe my humor just went over a bit differently than it came out.

Anyways, I didn't move here to rap--I'm not that naive--I moved here for school, and enjoy rapping.
    As far as dancing goes, I would think that a message board for diggers would have some people that know whats up about shakin it, or at least some dj's that live in the area that could be like, "Yo, check it out...". I don't know how to breakdance, I just like good music to dance to.

So, I assume there is no Project Blowed type of night out here?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Anyways, I didn't move here to rap

So, I assume there is no Project Blowed type of night out here?

People who move to a new city for any reason other than to "rep the scene" do not deserve to be fans of Project Blowed.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Thank you Prof. Rockwell.

There should be a 'get the gas face' instant graemlin.

• Thank you Prof. Rockwell.

There should be a 'get the gas face' instant graemlin.

no problem. feel free to use this one liberally

No real project blowed type thang out here. End of the Weak is the closest to it. also check out 3rd Party, they do a party at the bowery poetry club every month which i've heard is off the chain