Mid-weak finds

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
well, i didn't drop $800 at a Goodwill or come up on a hip-hop DJ's collection or anything, but i got a couple things yesterday that made me happy...Evelyn "Champagne" King - Smooth Talk LP ($1)Eastside Connection - Frisco Disco 12" rainbow vinyl ($1. upgrade)Yeshua dapoEd - The Essence 12" (2nd copy)Edan - Fumbling Over Words That Rhyme b/w Beauty 12"

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i didn't find anything

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I went on a house call to this nice old lady's house. I got some old country 78s, some country lps (including diva heartthrob (who knew?) Jeanne C Riley),Elvis pic sleeve 45s, and Willie Henderson's "The Master." Curveball! It's sealed too. The cover is pink and shouts out all the sweet dance songs contained on it. It looks like a bad pickwick record, but was released by Brunswick. Anyone got any info?
    Peace
    T.N.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I went on a house call to this nice old lady's house. I got some old country 78s, some country lps (including diva heartthrob (who knew?) Jeanne C Riley),Elvis pic sleeve 45s, and Willie Henderson's "The Master." Curveball! It's sealed too. The cover is pink and shouts out all the sweet dance songs contained on it. It looks like a bad pickwick record, but was released by Brunswick. Anyone got any info?
    Peace
    T.N.

nothing too rare. not worth much. i found my copy for cheap in germany. i think it's like a compilation of some of his hits. i could be totally wrong though.

• Willie Henderson "The Master" is exactly the same record as "Funky Chicken". The pink cover, perhaps not surprisingly, is the harder one to find but it's not really worth any more than the other. Which is to say, $40 tops.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'll be damned, thanks a bunch guys.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Copped the McNeill's in NYC, the rest are from eBay.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

FINALLY Montgomery Movement -- the montgomery express SEALED (thanks mark!)
    the Brooklyn All Stars -- greatest hits
    Joe Gibbs -- African Dub (UK og on lightning)
    Shirelles -- spontaneous combustion
    Original Five Blind Boys -- precious memories
    Pharoah Sanders -- live at the east
    Guitar Slim Green -- stone down blues
    Eric B and Rakim -- let the rhythm hit em
    Tribe Called Quest -- peoplees instinctive...

thanks Rape Donkeys coming my way soon.

Sealed!!!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    got a few things lately, but these are the two I am most excited about

not a brazilan pressing, but the less rare protugese 80s pressing, but still I'm happy!!

also this, which was a pleasant surprise when I heard it

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    store #1

store #2

for a total of $13

• Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

FINALLY Montgomery Movement -- the montgomery express SEALED (thanks mark!)
    the Brooklyn All Stars -- greatest hits
    Joe Gibbs -- African Dub (UK og on lightning)
    Shirelles -- spontaneous combustion
    Original Five Blind Boys -- precious memories
    Pharoah Sanders -- live at the east
    Guitar Slim Green -- stone down blues
    Eric B and Rakim -- let the rhythm hit em
    Tribe Called Quest -- peoplees instinctive...

thanks Rape Donkeys coming my way soon.

Sealed!!!

So you are the cat that shelled out $120.11 for Nova. I'll take the reissue that came out a few years ago if anybody knows where to find one.
    ebay Nova

So you are the cat that shelled out $120.11 for Nova. I'll take the reissue that came out a few years ago if anybody knows where to find one.
    ebay Nova

I knew it wasn't going to go for higher because it wasn't in NM condition. I also know that buyer undergrades.... I just bought "Rhythmatism" off him last week in the same VG++ conditon and it plays perfect. Everytime i've ever seen "Nova" online in the past, It normally goes for $200+

STEVE REID - RARE US JAZZ LP
    2003-07-07
    203 AUD

STEVE REID nova MUSTEVIC og avant jazz LP listen
    2005-02-04
    203 USD

STEVE REID Nova MUSTEVIC SOUND LP
    2005-11-30
    237 USD

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    found a minty fresh Maxx Traxx (on Pulse) today.

by far, the most thorough moder jawn in my crates right now..

• Nova is a great album. If I had the scratch I would have went large too. I wish I didn't sleep on the reissue.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    found a minty fresh Maxx Traxx (on Pulse) today.

by far, the most thorough moder jawn in my crates right now..

THAT IZ STUPID RAER! I need to dig where you dig. Dig?

I got nothing on my digging escapades this week except for a sealed copy of "Goodie - Call Me Goodie." Dry as Hell here.

SG

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Nova is a great album. If I had the scratch I would have went large too. I wish I didn't sleep on the reissue.

that's still in print, no? i see that thing all over the city if you need it..

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I need to dig where you dig. Dig?

haha.. i dig in chicago.

it's like that, just ask carnahan

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Maxx Traxx, though rare, is findable in Chicago, being that its a local record. I bought one last year, and I think Chris probobly had a couple. That Third Rail record is better though, imo.

• Nova is worth the cash IMO. If you own one steve reid LP, this is the one. I lucked out and caught a copy for cheaper, but may have splashed out were it required.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    (including diva heartthrob (who knew?) Jeanne C Riley)

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Wuddup Peeps, been a while since I rapped wit yall. I finally got some decent in the field scores. All 3 Dakars each or less. The main collection I looked through was alphabetized and I could almost guess what was coming up. Shame it only started at about 1975.

• Peregrinations is a solid front to back LP!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Peregrinations is a solid front to back LP!

Will have to re-visit that one. Seemed like a one tracker!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Rey, do you like the McNeill on the right?
    I'm not into that.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

I'm not into that.

Rey, do you like the Orqestra Soul on the left?
    I'm into that. "Contreversial.... Mi Guajira es!"

• Copped the McNeill's in NYC, the rest are from eBay.

I'm not into that.

I'm not into the one on the left...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    gave the owner of another shop here in town a call this AM asking if I could do some pre-opneing digging since his hours are the same as ours and since he posted "lots of soul just in!" on his website...he said "come on through!" not face melting but a lot of niceness...out the door for $60

LPs

Joe Cuba Sextette "Coming At Ya!" (SEECO) OG Still Sealed

Dizzy Gillespie "Swing Low, Sweet Cadillac" (Impulse)

45s
    The Leaders "Which Way" Volt promo

George Perkins and the Silver Stars "Cryin in the streets pts 1 and 2"(silver fox)

Raeletts "Here I Go Again/Leave my Man(woman) Alone" (TRC)

Freddie Terrell & The Soul Expedition Band "Soul Know How to Make Music/Respect Yourself" (Shout) Handclaps and fuzz guitar? yes plaese...

Ike and Tina "chicken shack/he's the one" (Kent)

Gloria Walker "Papa's got the wagon/my precious love"(People)

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

I got that Nova reish from a now-defunct local store for new records called Loud Records (R.I.P.). They used to have blowout sales like every 3 months where you could cop reissues they couldn't sell for 30 kr (~5$). Got a few of those nice heavy MPS ones there too. That S. Reid is a fucking great album.

Troubleman, how is that General Prince Adekunle? I've got one by him called "Awodi Nfo Ferere" that recently escaped the sales pile after a re-listen.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Peregrinations is a solid front to back LP!

that's funny you mentioned that... that's the one lp I was going to comment on, that shit is niiiice!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I'm not into that.

I'm not into the one on the left...

I've had them both, and sold them both.

I got that Nova reish from a now-defunct local store for new records called Loud Records (R.I.P.). They used to have blowout sales like every 3 months where you could cop reissues they couldn't sell for 30 kr (~5$). Got a few of those nice heavy MPS ones there too. That S. Reid is a fucking great album.

Troubleman, how is that General Prince Adekunle? I've got one by him called "Awodi Nfo Ferere" that recently escaped the sales pile after a re-listen.

It's still in the mail in transit. I know he was one of the earliest to play juju....and I loves me some juju. So I took a chance.