STROKIN' (Or: Ooh Shit, Clarence Carter!)

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
"WHEN I START MAKING LOVE...I DON'T JUST MAKE LOVE...I BE STROKIN'! STROKIN' TO THE NORTH!STROKIN' TO THE SOUTH!I STROKE IT EVERYWHERE - I EVEN STROKE IT WITH MY...OOPS!"[/b]Now how can you hate on Clarence Carter's 1985 song, "Strokin'"? Yeah, you got your "Candy Licker" and your "Stand Up In It" and "I Am A Streaker" and "Hoochie Mama" and "Stoop Down Baby" and "Sue," but this cut here is THE quintessential juke-joint soul-blues X-rated classic. There were answer records (like Gary "B.B." Coleman's "Watch Where You Stroke"), and even Carter tried to top himself with tracks like "Grandpa Can't Fly His Kite" ('cause Grandma won't give him no tail) and "Why Do I Stay Here And Take This Shit From You," but "Strokin'" set all the standards. It's even crossed over from the juke joints to the yuppie bars. I once passed by a karaoke bar in Chicago's Rush Street district, went in out of curiosity, for the hell of it decided to sing "Strokin'", and my mind was blown when all these would-be Jennifer Anistons started singing along like it was the new Dave Matthews hit. Yeah, "Strokin'" is the great social leveller.Clarence Carter's legacy doesn't begin or end with "Strokin'." Prior to this he recorded southern soul classics for days: "Slip Away," "Snatchin' It Back," "Sixty Minute Man," "Patches," "Getting The Bills But No Merchandise," "What Was I Supposed To Do," "I Stayed Away Too Long," and an extremely bizarre version of "Dark End Of The Street."Right now, I'm talking about getting SASSIFIED. Stroke on, Clarence...

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Don't forget "Take It Off Him And Put It On Me".

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ^^^^^^
    Now I don't know this fine girl from Eve, but captioning it "Take It Off Him & Put It On Me" is probably the most appropriate thing you ever did!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Wow.

...and I thought you didn't like Patches.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    HHHR*:

[truestory]Eric ModChicago was in town this weekend and while we were driving around Raleigh he uttered the words "I should have brought my Clarence Carter Strokin' 12" on Ichiban to play tonight." [/truestory]

*HEH HEH HEH RELATED

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Basically Clarence Carter is frickin awesome, I can't believe how consistently great so many of his 45s are, even after he went to ABC you still get ones like 'I Got Caught', the 3rd verse where he is lying in the hospital bed cracks me up everytime. Dude is bananas. I even just bought 2 more of his 45s this weekend just gone. Quality for sure.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I used to know this girl whose mother got married to Clarence Carter.

• I used to know this girl whose mother got married to Clarence Carter.

that definetly get you some points in authentic blackness.

Wow.

...and I thought you didn't like Patches.

Damn, Luck, who told you THAT lie? Can't remember a time when I DIDN'T like that song..."I was born & raised down in Alabama, on a farm way back up in the woods...I was so raggedy folks used to call me Patches..." We wuz SOOOO po'...

The original version by the Chairmen Of The Board was cool too, but Clarence really knew how to milk the sentimental angle.

Basically Clarence Carter is frickin awesome, I can't believe how consistently great so many of his 45s are, even after he went to ABC you still get ones like 'I Got Caught', the 3rd verse where he is lying in the hospital bed cracks me up everytime.

Yeah, the original version was by Roger Hatcher and was called "Caught Making Love," but Roger didn't have that crazed ad-libbed bit about the hospital - that was Clarence's doing!

Equally as good: "What Was I Supposed To Do" on Ronn (ca. 1977), this DEAD SERIOUS minor-key ballad that sends chills every time...going from memory, one line goes like: "Complimenting my woman, I don't really mind/BUT I COULDN'T STAND IT WHEN HE RUBBED ON YOUR BEHIND/Tell me, what was I supposed to do/When he disrespected me, and he disrespected you, yeah..." Those aren't the exact words, but that is the general gist...

Dude is bananas. I even just bought 2 more of his 45s this weekend just gone. Quality for sure.

Clarence is so on top of it, even his disco album was good. It turns up all the time, 'cause no one wants that bad boy, but it's actually kinda down home, considering the date ('80 or '81). It's called Let's Burn, on the Venture label, and basically sounds like a precursor to his later synth-heavy Ichiban albums. It even includes an early version of "Strokin'" called "Love Building."

My C.C. Top 10
    - "Strokin'
    - "Slip Away"
    - "What Was I Supposed To Do"
    - "I Stayed Away Too Long"
    - "Between A Rock & A Hard Place"
    - "Making Love At The Dark End Of The Street"
    - "You've Been A Long Time Coming"
    - "Light My Fire" (yeah, THAT "Light My Fire")
    - "Till I Can't Take It Anymore"
    - "Getting The Bills But No Merchandise"

...plus the entire Sixty Minutes With Clarence Carter elpee on Fame.

• How can I hate on it? Because when I lived in Tennessee for college the yokels that lived under me listened to that song EVERY DAMN DAY as loudly as they could. It got to be really old...especially when they usually followed it up with "Freebird" by Skynyrd. Between that and the Indian guys upstairs playing soccer in their apartment it wasn't a fun year.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Cassandra Hightower?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

...plus the entire Sixty Minutes With Clarence Carter elpee on Fame.

YESSSSSSSSS!

Unfortunately, I cannot cosign your love for Strokin',
    although I appreciate your words on it. That song just always sounded
    like some Eddie Murphy parody of funky sex jams to me, I could
    only laugh when I heard it ... it has been a few years, though -
    maybe I'm grown 'n' sexy enough to "get it" now...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Clarence's catalog up until about the mid-70s is pretty much unfadeable, but I have a special place in my heart for his 1975 "All Messed Up" where he describes the wackest party he's ever attended.

Unfortunately, I cannot cosign your love for Strokin',
    although I appreciate your words on it. That song just always sounded
    like some Eddie Murphy parody of funky sex jams to me, I could
    only laugh when I heard it

I think that was the point. If he made you laugh, then it accomplished its' purpose. That's the good thing about modern chitlin'-circuit soul; it can talk graphically about sex yet laugh at itself (also see: Bobby Rush).

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I regretted selling that DR. CC album for years even though I didn't like it... until I finally found the aforementioned "Strokin" 12"

He was playing on NCSU campus several years back and I could here him in my yard, it was bizarre

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Um, excuse me, his current wife was my roommate for three months (*true story*)...How's that for authentic blackness?