best albums by the Dells

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Rep.

Comments

• Im really feelin the Dells lately.

'There Is' is my fave thus far... kinda wantin' to hear that self titled joint of theirs on Cadet as well.

'I Touched A Dream' has a solid joint or two as well.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

'There Is'

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    My current vote: Always Together

which features the Cosmo, Love Break repped "Does Anybody Know I'm Here," which I will proceed to put on the turntable right now.

Pretty solid Stepney production througout, as well.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I never really thought of the Dells as a group you judge by albums, but they have turned out some good long-players in their time, like The Mighty, Mighty Dells and Give Your Baby A Standing Ovation (if they ever revive the "good-looking ladies on album covers" thread, Ovation HAS to be in there).

Not to sound redundant, but I'll also echo the sentiment for

'There Is'

...as well as any compilation of their earlier doo-wop sides on Vee Jay. I could recommend an album, but this stuff has been reissued in several different forms (the one I have is Stay In My Corner, a late-60's budget album on Up Front that contains the original Vee Jay version of the title track...not the more popular one on the There Is elpee).

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Dells Sing Dionne Warwick is one of my favs. Stand Ovation is
    I own a Chess Comp of Dells hits...........

• The Dells Sing Dionne Warwick is one of my favs.

Their version of "Walk On By" is wonderful.

The Dells Sing Dionne Warwick is one of my favs.

Their version of "Walk On By" is wonderful.

No doubt, What label is this lp on? I'm not @ home.

• Cadet I think. Might be Chess. Eh.

I think it was a promo that my pops got.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    mighty mighty dells is my shit.

Yes, that's the one I have, too. Good, serviceable best-of, with one major drawback: they faded down the spoken intro ("...THE MIGHTY MIGHTY DELLS!") to "G.Y.B. A Standing Ovation!" It just fades in on the song itself! Sorry, got to have the whole thing!

Yes, that's the one I have, too. Good, serviceable best-of, with one major drawback: they faded down the spoken intro ("...THE MIGHTY MIGHTY DELLS!") to "G.Y.B. A Standing Ovation!" It just fades in on the song itself! Sorry, got to have the whole thing!

That why u gotta own this.......

That why u gotta own this.......

And I do!!

Hell, even the original 45 had the emcee's intro! What was Sugarhill Records THINKING, hackin' it up like that? (Sugarhill released that purple-covered greatest hits album seen above - they owned the Chess masters at that time.)

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

3rdstream mailed me that record last year. Nice album.
    As a matter of fact, I just threw on Love Is Blue. Love that song.

What was Sugarhill Records THINKING, hackin' it up like that? (Sugarhill released that purple-covered greatest hits album seen above - they owned the Chess masters at that time.)

That's a whole 'nother thread. Slyvia Robinson & Friends =