Record/Thrift Store Prices

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Went to Thrift Stores in 5 states in the last month and the cheapest I found an LP was for $0.99.....$1.99 was common.Local chain Half Price has an average price of $6.00....with quite a bit of $7.98 and $9.98 higher end LP's......Was in a store in Baton Rouge that had great prices and even better price signs...RECORDS $3.99 EACH1-100 $3.99 EACH100+ $3.99 EACH[/b]Where are all the $0.25 - $0.50 Thrift Stores??????

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I see a lot of complaints like this from other parts of the country, but nothing has changed here

All the thrifts are still a buck each for LPs (unless there's a sale), except for my favorite Salvo which is still 79 cents...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I see a lot of complaints like this from other parts of the country, but nothing has changed here

All the thrifts are still a buck each for LPs (unless there's a sale), except for my favorite Salvo which is still 79 cents...

ditto, but I'm noticing record store prices climbing.

There are s couple thrifts around here who think they know whats up and price any scratched up beatles LP for 9.99 while the sealed self-titled Tortilla factory factory next to it has its lowly .99 sticker.

Thank you *mv*ts!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Half Price Books seems to vary widely by location. There are a couple I've been to that seem to be consistently pricey, and some others where damn near everything is $1.99 or less.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    still a buck hurrs. sometimes they try to count up the actual records=2 bucks for doubles. i had to pay $2 to mint up my UMMAGUMMA today. i was furious.

the gay thrift store charges $2. i told them they should charge $3.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Half Price Books seems to vary widely by location. There are a couple I've been to that seem to be consistently pricey, and some others where damn near everything is $1.99 or less.

The Half Price Books in Seattle used to be pretty cheap, now somebody thinks that Deodato lp's are going for $10.00! WTF?
    Even Value Village raised their prices on Lp's to $1.99. AAARRRGGHHH!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    .25-.99 here in Nor Cal (north of the bay)

when I left SoCal thrifts were at about $1.99+

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Goodwill and Salvation army used to be all 50 cents. There was only one location that I go to which still was 50 cents however have now changed to .99 and the funny thing is they select some to be 1.99 or 2.99, always funny to see what they think is worth more. Value village is always expensive 3-4 dollars and good classic rock like 10+.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    the gay thrift store charges $2. i told them they should charge $3.

funny

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    DC area thirfts are either $1 or $2 per record.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Rock... The christian resale store on 121 in Lewisville prices records at 4 for $1. Thats the only .25 records in the area I can think of. The rest of them seem to be .99 though, my grandmother works at the one in De Soto and is known to hook up the freebies on occasion.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

The Berkeley one is up-and-down but lately they've seemed a little cheaper. They're starting to get overrun with crap there and I don't visit it much even though it's a block from my office.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts

The Half Price Books in Seattle used to be pretty cheap, now somebody thinks that Deodato lp's are going for $10.00! WTF?
    Even Value Village raised their prices on Lp's to $1.99. AAARRRGGHHH!

I'd be wrapt pulling Deodato out of an Australian thrift store. They're still cheap here but that's because it's 99.99% junk. There's one near where I work that sells them for $3, and it's running out of space. I told them to drop their prices and actually sell some stuff but they didn't want to hear it. Pretty silly considering they don't pay anything for their stock.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    around here (columbus, ga), thrifts usually have records for sale for .50 cents.
    the antique mall on the other hand...
    $5.

even if it's g-

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    I'm from ontario, the majority of stores charge a dollar here and it's not that rare to find 50cent shops either. I think the higest I've seen is probably $2 and the lowest was 6 for a dollar.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Yup, around Atlanta at all of the Last Chance Thrift stores most of the lp's go for 1.99 but a little cheaper on Monday. When monday comes around it's like a blue tag sale or half price on everything in the sotre. People lose they damn mind for every item in the store. Electronics, Cd's, Lp's and dead people clothes all under one roof.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    My Goodwill rotation (4 stores) ranges from .25 - 1.00, but have paid 2.99 in other Goodwills not around here.

Here's something i've never seen though....

My main Goodwill had a Bob Dylan Live at the Budokkan for $10. First and only time i ever saw them price something based on who/what it was. Its a 2LP if i remember correctly, but still.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Was in a store in Baton Rouge that had great prices and even better price signs...

RECORDS $3.99 EACH

1-100 $3.99 EACH

100+ $3.99 EACH[/b]

haha.

let me guess- Musical Treasure Chest on Acadian?
    Joel and Noel

i like that shop, although i think i've only found three records in all my visits there.

did you make it to buddy's around the corner?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Where are all the $0.25 - $0.50 Thrift Stores??????

busted ass Gus Thomason & Fergusson area thrifts. I used to love those shithole thrifts. Times have changed, but their prices have stayed the same.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Salvation Army is half price on Wednesday.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    half price books around here ranges from $9.99 (for bullshit late 90s rap lps) to $.25 (for all your preacher/xian raer needs).

the goodwills/salvs around my way are $.99 - $1.99.

peddlers market is a buck a record.

• You can still consider yourselves lucky, even with the higher end of most of those prices. A lot of UK Charity Shops, with Oxfam leading the way, have discovered the Record Collector Price Guide over the last few years, turf out anything not in it and stick ??30 Beatles and Stones albums in their windows. Initially at least the Oxfam shops would occasionally have decent stuff and sometimes you didn't mind paying the premium since it is a donation to charity after all, but a lot of what they've got now is just crap, and it's at the expense of more interesting stuff which they just won't try to sell if it's not in the Guide.
    There's extensive discussion of this over on Vinyl Vulture.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    higher prices in the thrifts can sometimes be a blessing - it prevents geezer diggers from indiscriminately buying everything...

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    higher prices in the thrifts can sometimes be a blessing - it prevents geezer diggers from indiscriminately buying everything...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I got angry when the local Goodwill's upped their records from 95 cents to a dollar.

A FRICKEN DOLLAR?!?

But yeah, the Value Village here has their albums for $1.99.