Boss Soul (vintage publication related)

kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I found three issues of this tabloid sized newspaper from 1967 today. So much cool stuff in them if you like soul music of this period. I'll be scanning more stuff but for now here are the covers:The publication was printed in L.A. and had some affiliation with KDIA (by the way it's great to look at their music charts and see names like Helene Smith, The Ballads, Syl Johnson, etc.). Has anyone ever come across issues of this? I'm curious to know how long their run was.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    (Soul) was printed in L.A. and had some affiliation with KDIA (by the way it's great to look at their music charts and see names like Helene Smith, The Ballads, Syl Johnson, etc.). Has anyone ever come across issues of this? I'm curious to know how long their run was.

Until 1982, by which time it had a slick magazine format.

I have a few issues lying around myself, including one from 1970 with a Jimi Hendrix obit (he's on the cover) and an article on the Temptations' Dennis Edwards.

The main downtown library in Chicago has this mag on file, and the earliest issues (1967-73) are a trip. I remember seeing one ish from around '70, where they had photos of Stevie Wonder sitting in with Dyke & the Blazers at the Total Experience (L.A. soul nightclub, presumably no longer around)...