Can you hang?

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
(The accompanying soundtrack to this post is Slave "Baby Sinister".)

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I can hang a li'l...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I can hang a li'l...

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I can hang a li'l...

holy fuck.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I can hang a li'l...

HARD AS fuk.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    (The accompanying soundtrack to this post is Slave "Baby Sinister".)

PERFECT

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I can't really speak on that, but believe it or not, there's a group of black cowboys that are actually something of a presence in my neighborhood. I see 'em out at the Plaisance all the time.

I mean, whatchinz know about speakers built into a motherfuckin' saddle?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I can't really speak on that, but believe it or not, there's a group of black cowboys that are actually something of a presence in my neighborhood. I see 'em out at the Plaisance all the time.

The black cowboy idea actually has stronger roots than that of black bikers, which is much more of a northern phenomenon, as opposed to one that has significant history in the South.

There was a front page article in the Philadelphia Weekly last summer about a crew of black cowboys who race in Fairmount Park.

Blazing Saddles
    A long, proud Fairmount Park tradition may soon come to an end.

I had a conversation with my barber, who raises horses in Jersey, about the piece. He was disappointed at how they were portrayed, as more of ghetto cowboys, than what he identifys with as the essense of the lifestyle.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Those dudes are more cowboy than most. That Fairmount Park scene is real solid. They have a scene out here in Brooklyn, East New York near the airport. It's dope.

• So quoth $hort Dog: "...at the East Bay Dragons' spot."

I don't know if he's an official member, but Richie Rich has been known to ride with these dudes (something aboooout the West Coast, I guess). And they are often seen on both sides of the Bridge roarin' through the streets on tricked-out Harleys, usually with apehangers and very often bumpin' Too $hort.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

The black cowboy idea actually has stronger roots than that of black bikers, which is much more of a northern phenomenon, as opposed to one that has significant history in the South.

There was a front page article in the Philadelphia Weekly last summer about a crew of black cowboys who race in Fairmount Park.

Blazing Saddles
    A long, proud Fairmount Park tradition may soon come to an end.

I had a conversation with my barber, who raises horses in Jersey, about the piece. He was disappointed at how they were portrayed, as more of ghetto cowboys, than what he identifys with as the essense of the lifestyle.
    That's interesting, because not too long ago the Tribune, of all things, had a spread (color photos and all) on what I think is that same group of Philly dudes you're talking about, but I seem to recall that the tone of the article was actually decent; some good points about rural lifestyles transplanted to urban environments, and much less "It's like hip-hop, but with horses!" type shit than I would have expected.

I don't know how they do it in Philly, but around here there seems to be a real split between those that come off like regular city dudes who just happen to be sitting on horses and those who go full-on with the garish Garth Brooks shirts and whatnot. Rocawear v. Wrangler.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

"It's like hip-hop, but with horses!"

----------------------------

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    A little bit off topic, but this former teacher at Columbia College in Chicago, Art Burton, wrote a few books about black cowboys, not the modern variety but Old West style. He talks as an expert on the topic sometimes on the History Channel.

He now teaches at South Suburban College and is a local official in a pretty ghetto town (Phoenix, near Harvey, Ill.).

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Wasn't Jimmy McGriff all about the cowboy lifestyle?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    14th/Wood is where it all goes down.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Those dudes are more cowboy than most. That Fairmount Park scene is real solid. They have a scene out here in Brooklyn, East New York near the airport. It's dope.

There are a lot of black cowboys riding in Crotona Park in Queens. Also the other day in Park Slope I was eating tacos with the seed at La Taqueria, when a group of five dudes rode down 7th Ave on horseback.

In regards to bikers real deal Belmont Bronx boricuas do their thing. One of the interns where I work is this Bangladeshi pretty strict muslim who's true love are motorcylces and he hangs with these dudes all the time. Says before the summer is over he's gonna bring me through to the club house. Then I guess I'll see if I can, as they say, HANG LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER!