PHO BAC, BICHES!!!!!

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
OH SHIT I HEARD OF THIS BLOG BUT I NEVER REALLY CHECKED IT TIL TODAY AND HOLY CRABCAKES THIS DUDE MAKES ME WANT TO EAT MY COMPUTER.http://www.noodlepie.comi cant speak for the writing though. i kinda gleaned it and i think the dudes british or some sort of foreign thing cuz he dont say the f word and i think his teeth are jacked up. ok just kidding, but seriously, i cant follow the writing cuz im not sure if maybe he's losing his english grammar skills cuz he lived out there so long or maybe im not proper english like. oh well. anyways, the pictures are fantastic!

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

man i cant look at this shit while im at work
    im getting all hungry now

• my guy goes to vietnam frequently. he is a vegetarian but whence in nam he eats the meat. think i'm going to do that when i return to sao paolo. still wishing i would have eaten some of the beef and chicken dishes there....

anyhow, my friend who goes to nam says that everything is crazy cheap. just did a price czeck on the soup in question...

17,000.00 VND Vietnam Dong = 1.06720 USDUnited States Dollars

hell yeah. maybe i should go with my friend on his next trip.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

man i cant look at this shit while im at work

that looks like some tasty broth.

damn I haven't rocked the pho in some time now...gotta get up North more:

• per0per0 153 Posts
    Just got back Saturday. Mad cheap and the foods sweet !!!

pics...

http://perishtdc.blogspot.com

• per0per0 153 Posts
    And...

• per0per0 153 Posts
    my guy goes to vietnam frequently. he is a vegetarian but whence in nam he eats the meat. think i'm going to do that when i return to sao paolo. still wishing i would have eaten some of the beef and chicken dishes there....

anyhow, my friend who goes to nam says that everything is crazy cheap. just did a price czeck on the soup in question...

17,000.00 VND Vietnam Dong = 1.06720 USDUnited States Dollars

hell yeah. maybe i should go with my friend on his next trip.

Pho Ga ... should be under 150,000 VND. Dudes gettin' ganked. But they charge more for Japanese and Yanks....

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this aint pho related but i had some fucking delicious tan tan men at this place called gomaichi that i try to go to every few weeks. while looking for a website, i came up with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWRBXD4tMCY

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    I don't mean any rudeness at all, but just curious from an asian point of view.

but sometimes I want to introduce my western friends to try noodles, I'm afriad to do so cuz I have had people telling me the broth look + taste weird.

so i'm always paranoid about introducing noodles to my foreign friends.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Weird? No.
    Exotic? Yes.

• man i cant look at this shit while im at work

that looks like some tasty broth.

damn I haven't rocked the pho in some time now...gotta get up North more:

+ = seems like only yesterday...

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    some folks dont have the pallette? but i do see hella non asians at my pho spot, tell them to try korean nang-myung its cold beef broth and buckwheat noodles, straight refreshing on hot summer days.

-rich

• I don't mean any rudeness at all, but just curious from an asian point of view.

but sometimes I want to introduce my western friends to try noodles, I'm afriad to do so cuz I have had people telling me the broth look + taste weird.

so i'm always paranoid about introducing noodles to my foreign friends.

never fear my good friend. grandpa's here to help!

alright so the problem with pho and white folks is a few things. first, i think they use fish sauce in the broth which will turn most non asian folks away. they also use fairly aromatic herbs and whatnot that are pretty shocking to the western palatte. star anise, asian basil, cilantro. it is a strong odor and flavor. freaks some folks out.

i would suggest ramen. the reason is that most white folks know the top ramen variety. and theyll eat that shit. when you give them some real ramen, they flip out cuz theyre still thinking of dried up noodle and a flavor packet.

there is also a vn chicken noodle soup [with some soda on the side]. its fairly mild in flavor.

does this help?

anyways, that vn stew is whats up. shit is deeeeeelicious.

hey brian. this is my new favorite blog. dude is waaaaay less fany than onokinegrindz dude.

http:/www.bigislandgrinds.com

never mind that first post. i dont know why he got all frilly all the sudden...

• some folks dont have the pallette? but i do see hella non asians at my pho spot, tell them to try korean nang-myung its cold beef broth and buckwheat noodles, straight refreshing on hot summer days.

-rich

there's a spot up the street from me here in ktown that specializes in it!

this thread makes me hungry. coincidentally, i had spaghetti for dinner, filling but not satisfying.

i could go for a bowl of viet pho, korean nang-myung, japanese udon and/or soba, do chinese specialize in any broth based noodle dishes?

• yknow what im hungry for? chajang myun. korean noodle dish with black bean paste. off the chains if made correctly.

yknow what im hungry for? chajang myun. korean noodle dish with black bean paste. off the chains if made correctly.

yes! good call on the chajang myun! the key is to have the noodles, hand pulled... i dont know how this makes it taste better but it does. knowing someone had to make the noodles by hand and having crisp pickled radish on the side. oohwee!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    thank you grandpa !

Chinese noodles however, is kinda different approach. I don't think they put too much emphasis on the broth as the Japanese do, which kinda disappoints me a bit, cuz the broth is really whats real

but I know the Taiwanese have a very unique style of Beef Noodle, which has a very strong flavor broth that I really love.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yknow what im hungry for? chajang myun. korean noodle dish with black bean paste. off the chains if made correctly.

good call ! thats slightly different to the Chinese style chajang mien, the Korean style uses the darker soy bean paste, the Chinese uses a red-ish paste with sliced meat, and thinner noodles.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

but I know the Taiwanese have a very unique style of Beef Noodle, which has a very strong flavor broth that I really love.

Chinese noodles have in general a lighter/clearer broth, letting the noodles shine as the main ingredient. The art of lai mein aka pulled noodles is basically the og source of all noodle variations you see (pho, ramen, soba, udon, etc).

As usual Shig I approve of this thread.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I dug up a video my friend shot while in Wuxi, China. Dude is dipping the noodles in a water bowl w/ that little flick each time.

What's next, what's next, what's NXET level!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

LOL!!! DAAMN!!!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I dug up a video my friend shot while in Wuxi, China. Dude is dipping the noodles in a water bowl w/ that little flick each time.

What's next, what's next, what's NXET level!

sweet, you inspired me to dig up some video i took in Thailand a few years back, awww shit do i miss that lovely country.

• some folks dont have the pallette? but i do see hella non asians at my pho spot, tell them to try korean nang-myung its cold beef broth

shig, got any good k-town spots that hook up fish or veggies (no tofu house, place is haunted)

also looking for a good vegetarian pho. i know of one spot on sunset which is really tasty for vegetarian pho, though it is such a trendy spot it feels like one is eating in a hair salon. pho is ridiculous though, and $8 which is such a crime.
    --
    my friend who goes to viet everynow and then has also told me that true pho soup uses cow testicles.

• some folks dont have the pallette? but i do see hella non asians at my pho spot, tell them to try korean nang-myung its cold beef broth

shig, got any good k-town spots that hook up fish or veggies (no tofu house, place is haunted)

also looking for a good vegetarian pho. i know of one spot on sunset which is really tasty for vegetarian pho, though it is such a trendy spot it feels like one is eating in a hair salon. pho is ridiculous though, and $8 which is such a crime.
    --
    my friend who goes to viet everynow and then has also told me that true pho soup uses cow testicles.

hmmm. you know i havent been to a korean specialty fish joint down here. im sure they have them though. there's a place on 6th and kenmore in the mini mall there. there's only one "classic" minimall on that corner so it shouldnt be hard to find. sorry, i dont know the name of the restaurant but its in the minimall with the Montecarlo korean coffee joint in it. they make the salt rubbed grilled mackerel thing. usually that's too fishy even for me. but goes good with soju and some OB. they also make the stewed fish. i dont know what its called but its my favorite. its a whole fish stewed in some red sauce korean stylee and there's big ass chunks of daikon radish. good stuff. the place is known for the chigae though, id recommend getting the seafood chigae.

as far as veggie vietnamese, i would hit up "the great mall of china" aka san gabriel square in san gabriel. they pretty much have everything. actually, just cruise down garvey or main or valley through the SGV and you will see all kinds of VN joints at a much more reasonable price than anything on sunset. ive had the vn beef stew, the curry with baguette, the foot long banh mi with chicharones. plus there's all kinds of regional chinese food out there. does that help?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    this shit made me mad hungry... yo

• yknow what im hungry for? chajang myun. korean noodle dish with black bean paste. off the chains if made correctly.

yes! good call on the chajang myun! the key is to have the noodles, hand pulled... i dont know how this makes it taste better but it does. knowing someone had to make the noodles by hand and having crisp pickled radish on the side. oohwee!

dig! i like both but i lean towards the chinese version. its drier than the korean counterpart. ive also had some sort of dry taiwan noodle that is made from peanut paste or sesame paste or something like that.

there's this joint in monterey park that does the knife cut noodle thing. the chef has a big ol huge weiner of a noodle and he just shaves off pieces of noodle into your bowl.

anyways, i always felt there were 2 kinds of asian folks. rice folks, and noodle folks. im a noodle dood.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    this shit made me mad hungry... yo

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I like rice, but given the choice, I'll always go w/ the noodle. It's my ultimate comfort food, a steaming bowl of fragrant broth filled w/ textured noodles.

My grandma would always think I"m still hungry if I didn't eat any rice for a meal. I could have a big ass porterhouse and she would ask me if I wanted rice. Can't ever front on the rice, it is the foundation of the chinaman diet.

there's a great canto slang phrase about rice. Sic yeem dor goh lay sic mai, basically means I've eaten more salt than you have eaten rice. It loosely means I've had much more life experience than you. Kenny and sno can probably do a better job elaborating on it. There are tons of colloquialism tied in w/ food, since food is such an important element of our culture.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    why did i look at this thread before going to the gym

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    shig you piece of shit i was forced to stop off at this vietnamese place after the gym cos this thread had me fiending. pork chops and summer rolls~~~